Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am suffering severe PMDD symptoms!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I am suffering severe PMDD symptoms!

Hi my name is christine and I have severe symptoms of PMDD. I am starting my second month of Yaz and just went through 2 of the worst days I have had in a few months. I truly feel like I am going crazy or maybe have split personalities! My irriatabilty and lack of patience for the people around me during those few days causes me to feel so guilty about it for several more days! My boyfriend has no patience for me and adds to my already overwhelming emotions. I really don't know how long I can go on like this! Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

• PMDD, I understand

Hiya, I'm new to this site and have been reading lots of peoples posts but yours really got my attention.Everything that you said was like reading about me. My aunty calls me dr jekkyl n mr hide but that is what things are like.

I am going through the worst feelings ever have experienced with this PMDD, It got so bad I tried taking an overdose. I feel like Nicky, real me, has gone and all that is left is a shell.

I have tried evening primrose, Agnus Castus, and Black Kahose which are herbal. Ive been to my GP begging for help and was given antidepressants and hormone tablets which have made me worse. My desisionn now is to not take anything other than Evening Primrose. What I tend to do when I know I'm heading off into a "lost it" moment is leave the house and go for a drive or just go for a walk. The things that happened 3 m#weeks ago when I tried overdosing have hit me with such shellshock and devestation I have made the mistake of shutting myself away from everyone and everything and it is so wrong to do that cos now I'm seriiously at my lowest ever point and feel i'm always going to be like this.

I forced myself out yesterdayand although didnt feel like trip out it did make a step in the right direction of getting outtaa house.

My Dr has suggested either r#temporary menapause or hysterectomy as final options. Drastic but its what im going to do. Thing is there is so little help or anyone understanding to help deal with this terrible problem we suffer its very scaring n lonely.

I hope you get bk to the other you and hope my little reply helps in sum way.

Take carexx

Comment

• Hello Nicky,
      I am sorry to hear how things are going for you. I can so relate!! I went through so many years not knowing what was wrong with me and now looking back all of those spriling out of control feelings stemmed from my PMDD. The guilt I would feel about the things I would do and say during my out of control feelings would linger and for me the guilt would make me feel so bad and helpless. Now that I have reconized and know what is going on has helped me to control it but it still catches me off gaurd sometimes.
      I do keep a bottle of Pamprin around and that does help once I take it. I have been on so many antidepressants and the side effects with some of them were just as devestating. I am not ready to give up on Yaz yet since most of what I have read and heard it has helped a lot of women with my same symptoms. Thank goodness my Dr is taking my PMDD seriously, she is also a woman! And really feels like Yaz will help me, she has said she has other patients with the same symptoms and it has made a tremendous difference for her and her family.
      I have never heard of evening primrose but I think I will check into it. I have also read that the St. John's wart can be helpful. I think having people around would that understood and took this seriously would be so helpful but I don't think enough people know and understand how debilitating this condition is.
      Please don't give up!

Comment

• Thank You

Your message was the one thing that actuallym brought me a moment of 'serenity", thank you. To read your message not only offered me kindness but also a little bit of hope and set me thinking positive thoughts like going to see my GP and put up a bit of a fight within myself. I havent felt those things in such a long time, I think all the fighting spirit left me when the PMDD took over once and for all. I'll be honest with you, I really believe that this is how I will feel for the rest of my life and the thought of that has been torturing my mind beyond my control. To read your message has got me thinking that perhaps I'm really not the raving looney I think I am. Ive never felt so out of control of my own thoughts, feelings, actions,behaviour and am so ashamed and shocked that I have turned into this person who is totally nothing like me. Its scary and worrying because of the fact i have no control over anything and just feel like my whole life has fallen apart around me buti'm hurting so much I have switched off my own emotions and now just feel numb and in a way not here. This is my defence mechanism when i'm so upset.

Thanks again, even just sending you this message has helped me open up a little bit more and its easier to talk to someone who has experience of the same thing.

Take care
        Nicky

Comment

• Yaz

Hi, Could you please tell me what Yaz is, ive seen it mentioned in a few threads people have wrote and am desperate to know what it is and does. Would really appreciate any info you are able to tel me.

Thanks

Comment

• Nicky it has helped me, you responding to my post! It is nice to talk to someone who understands what you are going through. I am sure there are a lot of women who suffer from this and don't realize they do since we are expected to be emotional and crazy because we are women. I think a lot of women don't realize what is happening to them. We are one step ahead of them! We know what is going on! Now the really hard part is figuring out the best way to deal with it.
            I can so understand what you are saying about becoming a person you never wanted to become. And I don't think it is directly because of the PMDD but because of the things we say and do when we are feeling really out of control, since it isn't who we really are we feel guilty and ashamed. Those feelings are the gateway to allowing all the negative to come spiriling in! It really sucks, half my life is spent either dealing with the symptoms of PMDD or the guilt and shame over the things said and done during the symptoms! I think it would be so helpful to have the people close to me really truly accept and understand that this is so hard to control!! This is the first time I have reached out like this, usually I just want to forget the guilt and shame by not talking about it!
            O and about the Yaz. It is a birth control pill but is made for the purpose of controling hormones. All the research I have found on it is very positive. Like I said in my first post I am just getting ready to start my second month. I figure I can't really expect these crazy little F&**%$# to straighten out in a few short weeks since that would make it way to easy so I am going to stick with it for awhile. I think I am going to add the St. John's Wart to the mix too. O and I have noticed, and I know it is really really hard to do! Believe me!! But if I MAKE myself do something for myself during those horrible times it helps ALOT! I don't know what you like to do but for me, getting my hair done or having a pedicure or massage makes a huge difference! And you know we may be like this for the rest of our lives, which really sucks, but it is better to find ways to overcome then to let this overtake you and make you miserable all the time!! Feeling miserable is no way to live!! I HATE it!!

Comment

• Hello, I'm new here and I specifically registered to talk about my possible PMDD symptoms. I can relate to this thread whole-heartedly. I also feel like I have this split personality because I'm generally a calm, sweet, caring type person. When I'm "PMSing" I'm the extreme opposite. I'm irritable, angry, depressed and anxious. I feel overwhelmingly guilty when I take it out on my son and because I'm a single parent, it's hard for me to get the break that I need.

I have heard somewhere that women choose to have their ovaries removed in order to alleviate their PMDD symptoms. Having a hysterectomy won't do the trick - it's the ovaries that regulate the hormones we're struggling with. If you choose to have your ovaries removed, you're likely going to have to take hormone supplements. That's all I know. I wish I could just walk in the doctor's office and request it without having to go through the hoopla of trials and meds.

Comment

• I have not done any research on having my overies removed, I would think it would not alieveate our problem completely but I might be wrong. If our overies are removed then we would have to take synthedic hormones and who is to say that won't cause a whole set of other problems. I sure would like to find out if other women who have had their overied removed feel like it has helped!
                I feel so bad for my kids too! I really try to remember it isnt their fault and will MAKE myself get out and do something when I am feeling really bad. If I am not able to do something for myself I will take the kids to the park or an indoor playspace and let them have fun and wear themselves out!
                Like I keep saying I am not ready to give up on Yaz yet! I will keep you posted!

Comment

• Originally posted by butifulsunshine View Post
                  Hi my name is christine and I have severe symptoms of PMDD. I am starting my second month of Yaz and just went through 2 of the worst days I have had in a few months. I truly feel like I am going crazy or maybe have split personalities! My irriatabilty and lack of patience for the people around me during those few days causes me to feel so guilty about it for several more days! My boyfriend has no patience for me and adds to my already overwhelming emotions. I really don't know how long I can go on like this! Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
                  I am new here, but I just wanted to let you know that I have been suffering the same symptoms for years. It gets really bad those 10-7 days before the period. I feel horrible for how I react to family, friends and even coworkers sometimes, unfortunately at that moment I have no control over it. Once the period arrives I am back to normal. It seems to be worse if I am under a lot of stress or haven't slept or eaten. I have come to the conclusion that when I take too much caffeine and/or salt, symtoms worsen that month.
                  The only thing that has worked for me ( I refuse to take antideppressants or other products that are not natural) is ESTROVEN PMS.
                  For me it works like magic, quickly too. I don't understand how but it truly does for me.
                  I am not a doctor so I suggest that you bring it up to yours and let him know if you decide to try it. I am not in the pill or take any other medication. Its made with natural ingredients but i would let him know any way.
                  Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Comment

• Hello everyone!

I am new here too!
                    I feel like I have found a home here! Everyone is going through the same things I am. I am 41...and have been suffering since 18 with this pmdd...and I am realizing now that its been the center of ALL My problems.
                    I was very ill during my 20's & recovered ( a real battle!) during my 30's...thanks to unbeatable will ( i am told) and God, I am still alive... this is my one mountain. Like many of you I am struggling to overcome it.
                    I suffer every month...If I am lucky I get about 1 weeks peace (a normal ,calm mindset).
                    I suffer with mood swings ("dr.jeckll/hyde"), oversensitivity, emotional...critical, crying, crying and more crying! Argumentive...to the point of confrontation( and I am the most unconfrontational person alive!)!
                    I have been on Zoloft for years...but it wasnt for pmdd...it was for "clinical depression" and I am thinking - misdiagnosed probably was pmdd all along ( I was sucicidal too)
                    I do wild yam cream..it helps, flax seed oil, vita a,d, e, b's...but I get tired and dont do it perfectly....iI get tired, lazy and discouraged( sigh).

Its sooooooooo bad, that I am going to see a accupunturist tomorrow..wish me luck!
                    I hope to make some friends here. Comrades!
                    God Bless all of you ladies, I will keep u updated on my progress!
                    Sabrina/BrilliantinaX

Comment

• My heart goes out to you!

Originally posted by butifulsunshine View Post
                      I know exactly how you feel! I am 53 years old. I started my periods when I was 13. I've suffered with severe PMDD up until 2 years ago when my periods pretty much stopped (menopause). There are some things you can do yourself that might help a little but I implore you to get some medical help. PMDD is a serious condition that requires treatment. If your doctor doesn't recognize PMDD as an illness then find another doctor! In the meantime: watch your diet. Increase your protein and carbs. NO sugar, salt, caffeine (including soft drinks) and NO alcohol. Get plenty of regular exercise and think about getting some stress management training. Vitamins: B6, calcium and magnesium. Chamomile tea also is good for relaxation and sleep. For me, I was put on a medication called Effexor (an SSRI) and towards the end it helped me greatly. It did make a world of difference.

I want to stress one thing. I don't believe that just taking birth control will ease PMDD symptoms. I tried that when I was younger and it did nothing me. PMDD is NOT just a physical illness it is ALSO a serious hormonal/mental disorder and can get worse--much worse. PMDD ruined my life. I will post my story on this site in the hopes that it will help some young woman not go through what I went through. Good luck!

Comment

• don't go so drastic!

Originally posted by Ladii View Post
                        Hello, I'm new here and I specifically registered to talk about my possible PMDD symptoms. I can relate to this thread whole-heartedly. I also feel like I have this split personality because I'm generally a calm, sweet, caring type person. When I'm "PMSing" I'm the extreme opposite. I'm irritable, angry, depressed and anxious. I feel overwhelmingly guilty when I take it out on my son and because I'm a single parent, it's hard for me to get the break that I need.

I have heard somewhere that women choose to have their ovaries removed in order to alleviate their PMDD symptoms. Having a hysterectomy won't do the trick - it's the ovaries that regulate the hormones we're struggling with. If you choose to have your ovaries removed, you're likely going to have to take hormone supplements. That's all I know. I wish I could just walk in the doctor's office and request it without having to go through the hoopla of trials and meds.
                        Having your ovaries removed is very drastic and should be a very last resort and most likely not necessary. If you have your ovaries removed you will go into early menopause and menopause has its own problems (believe me, I know, I'm there). Find a doctor who is sympathetic to woman suffering from PMDD and work with them. In this day and age there's no reason why a woman should suffer this way. PMDD is serious but it can be controlled through diet (protein and carbs), vitamins (B6, Calcium, Magnesium), regular exercise and dietary changes (absolutely no sugar, salt, caffeine, that means no coffee, tea, or soft drinks, energy drinks, exedrine or ANYTHING with caffeine, greasy food or spicy food of chocolate, these things tend to make PMS and PMDD symptoms much worse). I was put on Effexor which is a SSRI. It is primarily used for depression, bi-polar disorder and anxiety but it does work wonders for PMDD as it has a secondary effect on a woman's hormones. It is also a LOT safer than any synthetic hormones. Synthetic hormones are poison! They cause blood clots, stroke, heart attack, cancer, depression, and mood changes in some people. Synthetic hormones, I believe, are the reason so many woman end up with cancer later in life: Birth control pills when they are young and HRT when they reach middle age. So much for Big Pharma's gift to women!! Avoid them like the plague. Good luck.

Comment

• I am glad to read this. I am in a down cycle, one of the worst I have had in a long time. I usually go on a 3 month spin: one month, tolerable PMS, the following, a little worse, the third month complete insanity. That had been my pattern for long enough that I recognised it. Recently I began to notice that the downtime between periods was not as long. So I started keeping track of my cycle. And I hadn't had the big crazy in a while. Except for now. It forced me to pay attention and go to the doctor. It turns out it is not normal to have your period every two weeks, and to have your period last 7-8 days. Well we will find out what the cause is soon.

In the meantime reading these posts - I thought no one understood. I tried to say to people in my life 'It feels like I am outside myself'. The last few days have been nonstop weeping. The blackest depression feeling so worthless. Out of control. What makes me angry is how two days from now I will be fine. None of this is real but when you are in the middle of it, it is too real. I feel so lost.

I can't continue like this.

But reading that others know what it is like helps

Comment

• OMG!!! What a blessing to have found this site! We are not crazy ladies! We are all experiencing the same stuff! It is indeed PMDD! Thank GOD! This is real. I just knew it. This is not your normal PMS . It is time for all of us to take control of our lives. I am 40 years old and a smoker so I can not take YAZ because of the risk factors. I have read that someone takes Estroven PMS. I want to research that more. Where can I get it? Over the counter or prescription? I have also read that a gluten free diet could help as well. Is there any one out there doing that?

Comment

• Your feelings are real! I know what you mean about each month not being the same. I have definitely noticed that it really hits me hard pretty much on a quarterly basis. Sounds like you are experiencing the same type of cycle. I just spent 2 days on the sofa. Turned my phone off because I didn't want to talk to anyone. But I really did want to talk to people because I was in such a dark and lonely place. Drives me nuts! I want my husband to give me a hug and hold me BUT I want him to leave me alone! Of course he thinks I am nuts! I do too! I just wanted to let you now that I am a member of the PMDD gang just like you are. You are not alone. Let's stay in touch. Please be sure to post anything that brings you power against this terrible monster!!!! Thanks.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

Personally, I love all the different styles. But having a little hair shows maturity, and I find that sexy. My personal favorite is my wife keeping a...

05-21-2020, 09:30 AM By Zeus_66
                              • Reply to Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

I second Alison H.'s post.

I'm afraid I know very little about Perimenopause anxiety, but Alison's post makes sense. I do hope you find the...

05-19-2020, 01:45 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to My Heart's Desire

I have re-published my book "Welcome To Hell". It's awesome. It is a hardback and is A4 size. I have another book in print called "Gobbledegook"...

05-19-2020, 01:42 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to My Passion For Creativity And Art Is Making Me Feel Really Lonely

I've always been artistic: and always will be. I was always good at art, although I never excelled in painting. But I use my artistic imagination to write...

05-19-2020, 01:36 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to isolated as a family

So sorry your family has lost the dog. Such a terrible time.

I have been enjoying watching the neighborhood kids play the last few weeks....

05-17-2020, 06:41 AM By atskitty2

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

Hello guys, What to do about perimenopause symptoms. Several treatments have been studied for managing perimenopausal symptoms. I am confuse, Please help...

05-13-2020, 08:43 AM By Heyperry
                              • isolated as a family

husband, preteen, and I have been isolated from others for weeks now

at a loss for how to fill that "peer" need for preteen...

05-08-2020, 11:20 PM By amy40
                              • Lulu.com

Is an online bookshop, where everyone self publishes their work. If you're interested, then Google it.

As I always say, this is NOT spam:...

05-06-2020, 07:03 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Dr & what would u do if anything

husband needed Dr note to continue work at home
                                he's at higher risk
                                his longtime Dr did not want to get involved & said if he gave note,...

05-04-2020, 01:35 AM By amy40
                              Working...
                              X