Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Period Getting Lighter and Lighter

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Period Getting Lighter and Lighter

I'm a 26-year-old female, and since about a year ago, my period started to get noticeably lighter. For 12 years, my period flow was always the same: four very heavy days of bleeding followed by two very light days. Beginning about a year ago, each day has been getting light and lighter, until I reached the point where the first two days are extremely light and the rest are non-existent.

At one point, I was also losing a lot of hair, so I was concerned it could be a thyroid condition. However, the hair loss stopped after about a month or two, so I realize it may have been stress (I had just moved to a new state at the time) that contributed to it. My strange period flow, however, seemed to begin out of the blue. There was no significant stress in my life or depression, I was eating the same as I always had, and I wasn't going crazy at the gym.

I told my doctor all of this and she had me get some blood work done to check for a thyroid problem. The results came back showing that my thyroid was normal. My doctor then told me that it's normal for our periods to change as we get older. If it's lighter, it's nothing to worry about.

Being only in my 20s, this concerns me. If I was in my mid-30s, it'd seem more likely that my body would be changing.

Has anyone ever had similar symptoms in the pre-menopausal state in their lives? Any idea what could be causing this? I'm extremely worried. I eventually want to have kids, but I am afraid that at this rate, I will stop getting my period altogether before the year is through.

• Hmm. Are you on birth control or any other medication?

I would think that if this were pre-menopausal that you would notice other changes in your body as well, like increased vagical dryness or something?

Why don't you chart your BBT from now on, that will tell you if you're still ovulating despite these lighter periods.

Comment

• Ive been going through the same thing for the past year. My periods would always come every 27 days for 5 days (heavy at the begginging and lighter at the end) and now its every 24-28 days and its only normal flow on the first day and then on second day its already light. The third day is spotting and by the 4th day its left overs. Im concerned because I dont know why this is happening. I have also had hair loss,well, my hair falls alot especially when i wash it. I dont know if thats normal or not. I have noticed Ive been stressed, plus Im a smoker so this might be a factor.
      Did you find a solution to your problem??

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

Personally, I love all the different styles. But having a little hair shows maturity, and I find that sexy. My personal favorite is my wife keeping a...

05-21-2020, 09:30 AM By Zeus_66
      • Reply to Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

I second Alison H.'s post.

I'm afraid I know very little about Perimenopause anxiety, but Alison's post makes sense. I do hope you find the...

05-19-2020, 01:45 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Reply to My Heart's Desire

I have re-published my book "Welcome To Hell". It's awesome. It is a hardback and is A4 size. I have another book in print called "Gobbledegook"...

05-19-2020, 01:42 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Reply to My Passion For Creativity And Art Is Making Me Feel Really Lonely

I've always been artistic: and always will be. I was always good at art, although I never excelled in painting. But I use my artistic imagination to write...

05-19-2020, 01:36 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Reply to isolated as a family

So sorry your family has lost the dog. Such a terrible time.

I have been enjoying watching the neighborhood kids play the last few weeks....

05-17-2020, 06:41 AM By atskitty2

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

Hello guys, What to do about perimenopause symptoms. Several treatments have been studied for managing perimenopausal symptoms. I am confuse, Please help...

05-13-2020, 08:43 AM By Heyperry
      • isolated as a family

husband, preteen, and I have been isolated from others for weeks now

at a loss for how to fill that "peer" need for preteen...

05-08-2020, 11:20 PM By amy40
      • Lulu.com

Is an online bookshop, where everyone self publishes their work. If you're interested, then Google it.

As I always say, this is NOT spam:...

05-06-2020, 07:03 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Dr & what would u do if anything

husband needed Dr note to continue work at home
        he's at higher risk
        his longtime Dr did not want to get involved & said if he gave note,...

05-04-2020, 01:35 AM By amy40
      Working...
      X