Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 month menstrual cycle?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• 10 month menstrual cycle?

I'm a heavier set girl, I've struggled with my weight all my life, and it doesn't help I come from a long line of family members who are over the weight of 200 lbs before they reach the age of 20. I'm young, 18, 19 this year, and with the stress of starting a business and trying to get into post secondary, as well as my inability to adapt a regular sleeping cycle and my love for doing most of my work after midnight, I've unfortunately gained a LOT of weight, clocking in at 350 lbs the last time I checked.

Last year, at the end of October of 2013, I started on my cycle like normal... only to have it never stop. I thought it was stress, because a few months before, I was so incredibly stressed, my period didn't occur for 3 months. I thought this was my body's way of acting out and "getting back" at me for my inability to appropriately deal with my stress.

In February of 2014, after 4 months of non-stop bleeding, I went to the doctor and he sent me for an ultrasound, which yielded no results on a technicality on the technicians part. The one who did my ultrasound was looking for growths and reported nothing was found, whereas my doctor wanted images of my uterus to see things for himself, so he got no images. He prescribed me 30 pills of 100mg Prometrium/Progesterone, and I'm going onto my last 10 pills at the end of this month. (It took me a few months to get the pills because I lost the prescription, so don't worry, I have been taking the pills as prescribed).

So far, the pills haven't given me any results. The bleeding goes from average flow to extremely heavy and then back again with HUGE clots, it just depends on the week. Sometimes I have really light flow but that's rare, as I've always naturally had a heavier flow, even during my normal periods. But all of this non-stop bleeding is not only eating a HUGE whole into my already empty wallet because of all the constant pads and tampons I need to buy, but is causing extreme fatigue and irritability, is chipping away at my social life, and is creating more stress for me. It also doesn't help that a lot of women I've talked to with this problem often need to get a hysterectomy to solve this, and that would just destroy me, as I'm looking forward to getting older and starting a family, maybe having a kid or a million. Lol.

I want to know what peoples thoughts are on this? My only answer for this is because I weigh so much, my body is producing too much oestrogen and causing my period to be non-stop, and no amounts of Progesterone can counteract it. My mother and I have been clapping out ideas like weight loss surgery, because it's so difficult for me to lose weight, and I'm willing to take out a loan from my bank for medical purposes to have the surgery done. I'm just so tired of bleeding, and it's really starting to stress and depress me, especially the idea of needing a hysterectomy.

So, what do you think?

• Weight will not impact the function of the ovaries to that extent. With the weight problems and sleep problems I'd actually bet on a hormone disorder. I don't know if thyroid problems can cause reproductive problems. Ruling out a pituitary gland tumor would probably be a good idea. The pituitary gland controls nearly everything and most especially your sleep cycle and your metabolism. They should also draw blood to check not just things like thyroid but reproductive hormones and probably a cbc. I would bet you are anemic.

I would start a multivitamin supplement and make an appointment with a better doctor who will be more thorough. You might want to visit a gyno but the problems may not be specifically with your reproductive organs so a visit to a general doctor might still be a good idea. They will probably want you on iron supplements but I do not suggest individual vitamin or mineral supplements before seeing a doctor. You can throw your body out of whack taking all sorts of specific things. A regular multivitamin is much safer before discussing specific needs with a doctor.

Comment

• Find a new doctor. This does not sound healthy. Bleeding that long should be taken care of immediately. First figure out what is causing the non-stop bleeding. Don't jump to conclusions about it being your weight. For all you know, whatever is causing the bleeding may also be causing the weight gain.
      Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• OMG I'm dealing with this too! I've been bleeding for about 10 - 11 months non stop! It gets really heavy then giant clots come then it gets lite for a few days the back to normal. I went to doctor a long time ago like in 2007 and he said I have uterine fibroids. I take the birth control and the bleeding is regulated but as soon as I stop taking them the bleeding comes back! What the heck is going on? Now, I'm heavy too. I'm at 230 right now. I did notice that when I was thin I didn't have this issue. Only when I get heavy. I'm so tired of this....im always tired and drained. I'm always uncomfortable, my love life sucks, I feel cursed!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

Personally, I love all the different styles. But having a little hair shows maturity, and I find that sexy. My personal favorite is my wife keeping a...

05-21-2020, 09:30 AM By Zeus_66
        • Reply to Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

I second Alison H.'s post.

I'm afraid I know very little about Perimenopause anxiety, but Alison's post makes sense. I do hope you find the...

05-19-2020, 01:45 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Reply to My Heart's Desire

I have re-published my book "Welcome To Hell". It's awesome. It is a hardback and is A4 size. I have another book in print called "Gobbledegook"...

05-19-2020, 01:42 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Reply to My Passion For Creativity And Art Is Making Me Feel Really Lonely

I've always been artistic: and always will be. I was always good at art, although I never excelled in painting. But I use my artistic imagination to write...

05-19-2020, 01:36 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Reply to isolated as a family

So sorry your family has lost the dog. Such a terrible time.

I have been enjoying watching the neighborhood kids play the last few weeks....

05-17-2020, 06:41 AM By atskitty2

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

Hello guys, What to do about perimenopause symptoms. Several treatments have been studied for managing perimenopausal symptoms. I am confuse, Please help...

05-13-2020, 08:43 AM By Heyperry
        • isolated as a family

husband, preteen, and I have been isolated from others for weeks now

at a loss for how to fill that "peer" need for preteen...

05-08-2020, 11:20 PM By amy40
        • Lulu.com

Is an online bookshop, where everyone self publishes their work. If you're interested, then Google it.

As I always say, this is NOT spam:...

05-06-2020, 07:03 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Dr & what would u do if anything

husband needed Dr note to continue work at home
          he's at higher risk
          his longtime Dr did not want to get involved & said if he gave note,...

05-04-2020, 01:35 AM By amy40
        Working...
        X