Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 day period??

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• 10 day period??

I'm new here.. but I'm very concerned and my Dr seems to be no help! Tmi and sorry for length. I was diagnosed with PCOS 8 months ago, put on meds to kick start a period and then went onto birth control afterwards. I have had my periods around the same time every month and they usually last for about 7 days.
    Since they have been messing with my periods I have discovered I have a high testosterone, no cysts, said all my lady insides are perfect size for my age with no scarring or anything. I do not know I I ovulate and I am sexually active. I am 22 years old.
    In August I got my period from 8/8-14 as usual. I stopped my bc during this because I had kept missing it and I want to see if I will have them on my own due to my fiance and I wanting to start trying. I began having lots of pressure and weird cramping around 8/23 And later on 8/25 i had brown discharge which eventually turned into pink and bright red bleeding, very light and unusual. Today is 10 days later and I am still bleeding. I have not noticed any clotting either and the blood has only turned into a fresh dark red. My back is in insane amounts of pain most of the time or in discomfort. I have hot flashes, twitches and tightening in my lower stomach, very gassy, and yesterday at one point my vaginal muscles and groin muscles tightened and with each step I felt a pull.
    It concerns me because I have never ever experienced this. Please help???

• Hi, sorry you are going through this ... I know it can be really scary as well as uncomfortable on lots of levels. Is there another dr you can see?

Comment

• My insurance will only allow me to see my current provider at the moment And I can't afford the copayment for urgent care or the emergency room:/ The doctor I have is who diagnosed me and has been treating me but with this she seems so relaxed and not concerned. I can tell there's something going on though.

Comment

• Sounds like potentially a cyst. Keep in mind that when you are on BC you DO NOT ovulate. That's the whole purpose of BC and the reason it keeps you from getting pregnant. It also helps eliminate the development of cysts for women who are prone to getting them.

Now that you are off of bc, you are most likely ovulating at least some months. Many women with PCOS do not ovulate every month, and therefore do not have a regular monthly period. It could be that this time you have developed a little cyst and it could be causing you some discomfort and intensified PMS symptoms.

A 10 day period is no fun, but not super concerning at this point. If it's still going full force in a few more days, contact your DR again. I'd highly recommend charting your cycles, and getting yourself a copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" to read. Life changer.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• If you can't see someone else then you might need to be a bit more insistent with your current provider and push to get more answers ... Meanwhile make yourself as comfy as you can (sometimes heat packs help). Are you taking any kind of iron supplement ? If not, you might want to ask your dr about that as well

Comment

• Although sucky, a 10 day period in itself is not that worrying. It happens sometimes. You could have a cyst like mentioned above, and I agree with zali that you should take an iron, folate and b12 supplement at this point.
            “...choose to believe in your own myth
            your own glamour
            your own spell
            a young woman who does this
            (even if she is just pretending)
            has everything....”
            ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

Comment

• Hi

10 day period is normal to some, but if you think that this is too much, then better see a doctor about this.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Squirting or Peeing? Confused with Colour

A friend of mine recently lost her virginity and while she had her first sex she doesn't know anything about it. She enjoyed it but she didn't know whether...

Yesterday, 10:59 PM By Dawood Naseer
              • Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

Hello guys, What to do about perimenopause symptoms. Several treatments have been studied for managing perimenopausal symptoms. I am confuse, Please help...

05-13-2020, 08:43 AM By Heyperry
              • isolated as a family

husband, preteen, and I have been isolated from others for weeks now

at a loss for how to fill that "peer" need for preteen...

05-08-2020, 11:20 PM By amy40
              • Lulu.com

Is an online bookshop, where everyone self publishes their work. If you're interested, then Google it.

As I always say, this is NOT spam:...

05-06-2020, 07:03 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              • Dr & what would u do if anything

husband needed Dr note to continue work at home
                he's at higher risk
                his longtime Dr did not want to get involved & said if he gave note,...

05-04-2020, 01:35 AM By amy40
              Working...
              X