• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My period was normal but it stopped coming until recently. Anyone please advise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My period was normal but it stopped coming until recently. Anyone please advise?

I am 26 this year, 1.58m height and 57kg. I used to have a regular and normal menstrual cycle all the while. But until early 2015, my period stopped coming for around 1.5 years. After that, I consulted a gynae and endocrinologist and did a blood test. Below are the results:

Free T3: 3.5 pmol/L
    Free T4: 12 pmol/L
    TSH 0.73 mlU/L
    Cortisol: 166 nmol/L

LH: 2.9 IU/L
    FSH: 7.1 IU/L
    Estradiol: 133 pmol/L

I also did MRI to check on my pituitary gland and everything was fine. I also did not have any thyroid abnormalities. My doctor said everything was fine and do not really know what’s the cause of my period stopping. Also, he did a scan on my ovaries and found out there’s a few cysts around 0.4cm x 0.4cm but he said it’s nothing to worry about. He then decided me to take birth control pill and check if my period comes regularly.

I started taking the pill on 21 December 2016 until 16 September 2017. Then I stopped to check if my period will come without the pills. It did come regularly after that. However, on April 2018, my period was very light (spotty). Then on May 2018, it has not come until now (it should come around 12th May). I’m afraid that my period will stop coming again.

I actually started exercising at home doing some HIIT and some weight training when I was 20 to maintain my weight. Then after graduating at 23, I started working and started enrolling to the gym in 2016, doing body pump, body combat and some weight training by myself. I was eating healthy (avoided fast food and prepared home cooked meals – eating around 1800 calories per day). I realised at this point when I started taking birth control pills, I stopped losing weight (not sure if I’ve reached my plateau or it is the side effects of gaining weight from the pills).

Then in April 2017, I migrated to Australia (still taking my pills) and stopped exercising until around December 2017. I gained pretty much a lot of weight around 10kg. Hence, I started doing HIIT (based on Shaun T’s videos) and some weight lifting again (around 5 times a week). I still pack my lunch to work and dinner is pretty simple. I eat mostly chicken and a lot of vegetables and fruits most of the time. I have a 9-5 job – not really stressful. I was able to lose around 7kg up until now and I am happy about it. I do not want to start taking the pills again because it makes me gain weight

I do not want to take the birth control pills again because it does have side effects on me which is gaining weight. I don’t know what I should do now. I still enjoy exercising and my food so I don’t think that is a stress to my body.

Can anyone advise on what is this about? Could it be PCOS? Will this affect my fertility in the future? Appreciate your advices.

Working...
X