Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Not Pregnant, But My Period Is Late & I Don't Know Why!? – Discuss

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I'm Not Pregnant, But My Period Is Late & I Don't Know Why!? – Discuss

Is your period late even AFTER a negative pregnancy test and you’re not sure why? This forum thread and discussion will help you figure it all out.

Nothing stresses you out like a late or missing period. Are you pregnant despite a negative test? Did you miscalculate your cycle? Maybe something else is wrong with you?

Relax, it's OK. Whatever you think is going on, we're here for you and we'll figure it all out.

To help lay the foundation for this discussion, I wrote an article about the possible reasons your period might be MIA here:

http://www.womens-health.com/11-reas...t-not-pregnant

I would start with that article as it will probably address most of your concerns.

You’ll also read in the article that I have experienced the stress of late periods myself too, so I understand what you're feeling and going through.

I’m interested to hear from all of you about your own encounters with late visits from Aunt Flo! Did you get super stressed about it? Did you find out what caused yours? Tell me more and help others in similar situations.
    Last edited by Ashlee T.; 02-20-2019, 11:23 AM.

• I just call it **Red in my calendar. To my friends, I call it that time of the month.

Comment

• Isn't it funny how we still "disguise it?"

I was thinking just this week as I put a maxi pad down the front of my pants (no pockets) to go to the bathroom while at work. It's a natural human function, yet we're programmed to hide it. Really, it would be like if we hid toilet paper so that no one would see that we might need to use it. It's funny when I think about it like that.

I use an app called Flo to track mine. It has been very helpful!

I refer to my period as "the visitor" or just "my period" most often. Or when I'm being overly dramatic to my boyfriend, "I'm BLEEDING TO DEATH!"

Ironically, my period, which is rarely ever late was late this time. 4 days late, to be exact. Just in time for this article, I suppose.

"Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Over the past week after I ended my weird period of off and on bleeding. I'm still bloated and getting nauseous sometimes and my boobs hurt sometimes. I have mild cramping and lower back pain. Feels like my stomach feels hard or is it just being bloated that it feels like that. Should I retest myself? I have taken one over a week ago and it came out negative that was when I was bleeding though. I'm not sure if that matters or not. I just don't know what's going on. So confused. I am sexually active

Comment

• Sweetheartbritt27 - Hey there! Welcome back! You might notice I moved your post into an existing post on this very topic.

Melissa D. wrote a killer article for WHI on possible reasons your period might be late, even if you're not pregnant. Read it and see if you might fit into any of those scenarios. I have experienced late periods at times myself and know how stressful it can be. It seems like once the period is late, I notice EVERYTHING about myself and feel like every symptom I have is pregnancy (even if I test and it's negative!).

Comment

• Yes I see that. Does anyone have any options for m? I had a weird on and off period that last over a week. So I'm just trying to figure out what's goin on. I'm afraid to go to the doctors. So ya. I'm still having everything. Even tho I had a off and on period.

Comment

• Are you on any sort of birth control? Have you used Plan B?

There are lots of things that can throw a period off. But without more information it will be hard for any of us to guess what could possibly be causing yours.

It is possible to have a light “period” early in pregnancy. If it were me and I was still uncertain I’d go grab a dollar test at the dollar market and try again. If it comes out negative this time then you’re not likely pregnant and are most likely experiencing out of balanced hormones.

Comment

• No birth control. I was on depo for 5 years and thought it was still in my system cuz i know it takes a while to get out of your system. I just recently started getting my periods back but get them once very couple months. Still have irregular periods.

Comment

• Well, it all definitely sounds like your hormones are out of whack. My cousin was on depo for 10 years and it took her nearly a year to ovulate and have a period again. Then they were super heavy and painful and often, irregular. It's very likely that you have not started ovulating regularly again and of course, if you don't ovulate you won't have a period that cycle.

I'd test again just to ease my worry, and then ride it out for another cycle or two to see if things level out. If they don't, or your symptoms get worse or more worrisome, seeing a doctor will be necessary.

Comment

• Sounds good will do. I probably will end up goin to the doctors by Monday.

Comment

• Sweetheartbritt27 - How are you feeling this week?

Comment

• Bout the same less nausea tho.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

thanks, Popcorn & Candy

didn't have time before but do want to address some of the points re article
                          - never grew up wanting to...

Today, 12:48 PM By amy40
                        • Reply to Which is the best way to decrease weight?

Hello!
                          The most important advice that has already been in this discussion is to spend more calories than getting them! I myself adhere to this tactic:...

Today, 08:38 AM By Nate Julia
                        • Reply to Acne

Acne is a most common skin disease. Avoid chemical. Use natural products. Wash your face twice a day. Use lemon juice. It's really work.

Today, 08:25 AM By sarabjot
                        • Reply to Hello

Hello Everyone, I am here new. I am Sarabjot. I am working at Sofat Infertility Centre. I am From Ludhiana , Punjab.

Today, 08:23 AM By sarabjot
                        • Reply to Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

Thank you both soooo much. You both have helped me realise what I know deep down is right. I feel like I want to send you both chocolates !!!!! I have...

Yesterday, 06:29 PM By secretkeeper

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
                        • Hello

Hi, Everyone!

Greetings all. I am a new member here

02-26-2019, 04:58 AM By alexcarey
                        • Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

What do I do in this situation? I value all your thoughts here. My husband and I had a couple we spent quite a bit of time with enjoying outings and dinners...

03-22-2019, 01:45 AM By secretkeeper
                        • Whats wrong with my sex?!

I have a question.. Me and my guy have been together almost 5 years. We used to have amazing sex. Now... It's few and far between. Every time he goes...

03-22-2019, 10:25 AM By stateofconfusion
                        • Mid-Cycle Bleeding

Hi,

Okay, so in November I had a nervous breakdown. Had a normal cycle until February. About day 16-18 I had brown and clumpy spotting, right...

03-22-2019, 06:23 PM By almostbritain
                        Working...
                        X