Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Am I Pregnant FAQ; Read before posting!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• The Am I Pregnant FAQ; Read before posting!

It's only human to wonder about the possibilities. When something goes wrong (or right!) it's hard not to think about the what-ifs and want to know the odds.
    So, I've created this small set of Frequently Asked Questions for those wondering if they're pregnant. If you have anything to add or ask, please feel free to respond!

Is pulling out a safe method of birth control?
    It has a 27% typical-use failure rate, but only a 4% perfect use failure rate. It is not foolproof and is less reliable than other methods of birth control.

How effective are condoms/pills/etc?
    Male condoms have a 15% typical-use failure rate (2% perfect use,) while female condoms are much less reliable: 21%/5% failure rate.
    The Pill, the Patch, the Ring, and the Shot all fall at about 8% typical-user failure rate, with less than a 1% perfect use failure rate. Most of these methods stop ovulation, which means there is no egg for the sperm to fertilize.
    Sterilization and implants all have have a less than 1% chance of failure, both in the typical user and perfect use. But these too have their downfalls.

My breasts are sore, I'm cramping, I'm nauseous in the morning, etc ...
    Please take a look at a list of PMS symptoms versus a list of pregnancy symptoms. They are shockingly similar. Though it is indeed possible to have your period during a pregnancy, it is improbable. Periods can be late for many reasons as well, including stressing about whether or not you may be pregnant!

How soon is a home pregnancy test effective?
    That information should be given on the box. There are many tests that can detect the pregnancy hormone a week before your next period is about to come.

How can I know for sure?
    Only time can tell. If the HRTs come out negative but you're convinced you're pregnant, try a blood test by a doctor.

I hope that this FAQ has helped some posters and that everyone who needs it gets on a reliable birth control soon. And for those of you who are TTC, best of luck
    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

What do I do in this situation? I value all your thoughts here. My husband and I had a couple we spent quite a bit of time with enjoying outings and dinners...

Today, 01:45 AM By secretkeeper
  • Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
  • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
    I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

03-19-2019, 11:33 AM By lilrose
  • In Love Physical Relation is important?

What do you think in relation does sex is needed or not? If we mentally happy in relation then also we needed physical relation???

03-20-2019, 05:04 AM By paulgonzales86
  • Hoo hot for sex?

It is nearing the end of summer here in New Zealand and it has been a pretty hot summer – especially in the evenings / overnight…. Wife & I have...

03-17-2019, 06:29 PM By muffin70
Working...
X