Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C-section opinions

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• C-section opinions

Well, here goes... I'm not even pregnant, but I'm really looking forward to become a mother. However, as I like to plan things in detail, I'd like to ask your opinion about the c-sections. I would like to give birth naturally once the term is over, but... I'am afraid of one thing. My husband weighed 5,2 kgs when he was born (also through a c-section)... so there is a big chance I may have to give birth to a...small turkey () and I'm really afraid it may tear me apart.

On the other hand, the c-section appears to be way too invasive. Has any of you used this procedure? Some friends told me that it's easier and painless, however I'm afraid of being cut wide open.
    Last edited by Fallen1; 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM. Reason: Remove outbound link to video

• I believe there are more health risks with c sections than vaginal births but really you won't have much option. Your doctor will decide whether you can give birth or need a c section. They won't do one just because you ask due to the risks and they won't let you give birth naturally if the risk of that looks too high so really it's not even something to worry about. You don't have much of a say in the matter except to decide not to get pregnant. Vaginal tears are so common that doctors would often just make a cut anyway but they found natural tears heal faster than the surgical cuts they were making so I think that practice ended.

Comment

• My wife told me about some documentary she saw on how the industry had moved to c-sections, not because of health concerns, but because of financial ones. They're typically more harmful than natural birth, and when you think about it logically, why shouldn't a surgery be more dangerous than a natural process? Our bodies are designed for reproduction, not surgery.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Diana, if you are in the US, you really need to research this topic, research your healthcare provider and be an advocate for yourself. Doctors will give you a c-section if you ask for one. They will also constantly offer you one. It's easier for them to schedule a c-section during their office hours instead of take the chance of having to deliver in the middle of Saturday night. Plus they make a ton more money with c-sections. C-sections are the most common unnecessary surgery in the US.

Unless you experience complications, a natural birth is always better. Even if you tear, you heal faster. Unless you have a narrow birth canal, you can still give birth to a large baby.
        Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• There is a reasonable chance that your husband's mother had gestational diabetes which essentially over feeds the baby. I think that doctors do a better job of controlling such factors these days.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• It's extremely rare that your body will grow a baby that is too large for you to give birth to. EXTREMELY rare. Doctors love to tell women that their babies are too big and they need a c-section. Like sp346 said, it's easier for them to schedule it on their schedule rather than allowing nature to take it's (sometimes inconvenient) course.

Comment

• I was one of those extremely rare babies. I was 9 pounds and my mother was 5'1", 104 pounds before she gained pregnancy weight. I was also late by more than a week.

While I agree that doctors suggest and schedule c-sections much more than they should, in some cases there are very good reasons why c-sections are done.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Also, the baby's weight is not really what's most important, it the size of the head. That's the hardest and larger part of the body to birth. If the baby is big, but had a small head, then no problem. You could also have a small baby but a big head, like mine. My son was 7.2 lbs but 90th percentile in head size. He was stuck crowning for 15 minutes. Any doctor would have cut me, but my nurse midwife let me do it naturally. I did tear, but natural tears are better than being cut. Within 12 hours of the birth, I was able to get up and take a shower. There are so many benefits to natural births.

That being said, childbirth is still a stressful and risky process. Women do still die during childbirth, although it is super rare. That is why you need to do your research and find a healthcare provider you really trust. Also be very clear with what your expectation are. Tell the doctor/midwife that you want to try to natural.
                Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• I've experienced a natural birth with my first child and c-sections with my last two. I had a c-section with my second child because she was breeched. For my third child I decided to have another c-section because I felt that it was safer since there are risks after having a previous c-section and I wanted to do a tubal ligation at the same time.

C-sections are by no means easy and painless! It is major surgery! Recovery was long and awful for me, especially with my first c-section. I would never recommend opting for one just because you don't want to deal with a natural birth.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Believe In Kindred Spirits, Soulmates, And Twin Flames? - Discuss!

We hear a lot of talk about finding a soulmate, but did you know there are kindred spirits and twin flames out there also? Maybe you have met yours?...

10-15-2019, 08:43 AM By Alison H.
                  • Nice to meet you!

My name's Eileen. It will take awhile before I'm able to find my way around here.

10-15-2019, 02:25 AM By EileenFrazier
                  • Hi :)

I am Kayla. I am New Member of this form. I am happy to be a part of this forum.

10-15-2019, 02:22 AM By KaylaGarcia
                  • Hello All

Hi everyone,
                    I'm quite happy to have found a forum that hopefully will give plenty of advice and insight on all sorts of womanly things; and maybe...

10-15-2019, 02:15 AM By ConnieBlake
                  • Hello Everyone

Well my name is Misa. I'm 29 and I'm from New York. I'm a mother to two beautiful little girls and soon a baby boy. I have been married to my husband...

10-15-2019, 01:58 AM By JackMaxwell
                  Working...
                  X