Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm scared--very irregular period

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm scared--very irregular period

Hello, I'd really like some advice as I'm getting nervous and don't know what to do. My period is really irregular.

I'm 18 right now, and I only got my period about two years ago, when I was 16. It was always pretty irregular (like every two weeks, then six weeks, etc.), but the doctor told me this was normal for people who started so late. It was also always so light that I couldn't even use a tampon. Then when I started college at the end of September 2008, I didn't get it at all for months. I went to the doctor when I got home in late December and went on the birth control pill (Yaz). I then got my period finally in late January and it was very heavy. It lasted about a week then went away. Strangely, only a week later I got it again. While not as heavy as before, it's still a definite, full-on period. Now, after two weeks, it's still going and not showing any signs of stopping. I'm taking my pills regularly and everything, but I have no idea why this is happening.

Should I be worried? Is my body just adjusting to the pills or is this a sign of a more serious problem? Any advice would really be appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Not to scare you more, but it could be a sign of ovarian cysts (which also, from what you've described of your period patterns, you could be at risk for polycystic ovary disease). I would definitely see a doctor to rule these things out. There are many of us out here who live with cysts, myself included, and most of the time they are benign and we receive little or no medical treatment for them. But it's better to know!

Comment

• I have the same problem. I always had irregular period since I was in my teens. Always escape to one month, I just ignore it at that time I thought it was just normal. Then I got married, I took pills.. my period was very regular, but I had to stop taking them since I had some issues with it. I did'nt had period for a year, I research on internet and alot of people say that it was just normal cause my body was used to the pills. Well I got so worried and I feel a lot of symptoms.. I take another pills just to have period.. after a month it came and it didnt stop for 3months it was very light for 3 weeks then it gets heavier. I took a multivatimin, gladly it stop... and now I am still waiting for my period.. its been two months, urgh.. and we dont have insurance.... so I'm also wondering whats wrong with my body. I'm 26 btw.

Comment

• I am having a similar problem, my last period was in january. almost 2 months ago, and my periods are always light and short from 3-4 days.
        I have been on two different types of birth control before, but with the second one my period was still irregular, and when i went off of them my periods stopped for months, and i havent been on birth control since NOV and have only had two periods..

Comment

• Hi - This sounds completely NORMAL.
          Whenever taking a new birth control, always allow 3-6 months for your body to adjust to it. You can experience month long "spotting", mid-cycle bleeding, etc. Especially if you are prone to having irregular periods. The adjustment time is what is helping regulate your periods. With you being so young, this definitely shouldn't be a cause for concern. If you are that worried, you can talk with your OBGYN, but give it time.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X