Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endometrial Ablation

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endometrial Ablation

Has anyone ever had a Endometrial Ablation? I'm 54, in menopause faced with 2 options to resolve a heavy bleeding, polyps and fibroids mess. Either the EA procedure or a hysterectomy. Recommended by my Gyn. Looking for personal info from someone who's had the procedure.

• Just registed here and now off to bed, but just quickly wanted to reply to you as no one else has yet........

My sis in law chose that option instead of having a hysterectomy she is 39 and had fibroids and bleeding problems,.............well since having it done (and it was day surgery to quick and easy in and out) she says its the best thing shes ever had done, it cured all her bleeding probs and she hasnt bled since, just thought id let u know seems far better easier and quicker then a hysterectomy. if u want to chat to her on msn anytime let me know and hook u up with her, x
    Goodluck

Comment

• Thanks

I've decided to have the EA procedure, it was good to hear about someone who has had it done.

Comment

• endometrial ablation

Hi
        I wondering about this eb. How was the operation? How did you feel afterwards? Do you need to take hormones after this eb is done?
        I am so undedcided.

Comment

• HI...again..

I am 23, I am going to have this done one day.. I had heavy bleeding and anemia that took control of my life.. and BCP's made me badly sick and insane mentally. Uh, I don't know what else to do, I am lost, so I am my doc made that final decision... so what you your thoughts about it? I know I am young! and boy am I, :O ... I am so unsure of the outcome... :/

Comment

• I've had a D&C and ablation, have posted about it several times. I did not have a problem with fibroids or any of that, just constant bleeding. It did the trick for me.

Comment

• Hi! This is obviously a really late reply, but maybe will be helpful for other women considering the same procedure. I had EA (Novasure) done three months ago as an alternative to "female castration". I am a firm believer that the medical field is way too hasty in steering uninformed women to make a decision on an antiquated procedure. Yes, there are definitely times when hysterectomy is warranted; however, I do not believe that menopause is one of them, especially if a woman is in relative good gynecological health. While I have been in perimenopause for roughly 3-4 years, (I'm 46 now), I chose to have EA
              done so I could terminate my irregular menses, thus freeing myself from severe cramps and messy periods. So far, I couldn't be happier to be free of my monthly visitor (it took me about 6-7 weeks to stop spotting post-EA,but even the spotting was very minimal). However, I do have a couple of suggestions for any woman contemplating this procedure. First, make certain that your OB-Gyn schedules you for an abdominal AND a transvaginal ultrasound to ascertain the health of your uterus. A woman may not be a good candidate for the procedure if she has endometriosis or fibroids. Also, make sure they also do an endometrial biopsy (take naproxyn sodium or ibuprofen prior to the biopsy; otherwise, the cramping is pretty effen excruciating!). Additionally, I had my EA done in the doctor's office. I was given Diazepam 10mg, naproxen sodium DS one every 12 hours starting 24 hours before the ablation, a morphine rectal suppository one hour prior to the procedure, some pills (I forget what) I had to insert vaginally the night before the ablation to help soften my cervix and uterus, and finally 7-8 shots of a local anesthetic injected into my cervix shortly before the ablation. Needless to say, their pain control protocol completely failed me and they almost had to call a code because my blood pressure crashed and I passed out from the excruciating pain. I had to call the doctor's office back less than an hour after I got home because I was vomiting because the cramping was so severe. They finally called in some Vicodin and phenergan suppository for the nausea/vomiting and I was fine by the next morning. While my situation regarding the extreme pain may be unique, don't be shy about asking your physician about their pain control methods, especially if you have this procedure done in a doctor's office. My doctor claimed that they didn't have anything in the office to give me for the pain, even though it was obvious that I wasn't faking the physical distress I was in. So ladies, if you are planning either EA or partial/total hysterectomy, do your homework and read up on everything you can get your hands on regarding these procedures. Remember, no two women are the same and will not experience the same menopausal symptoms ( or maybe have none at all). Furthermore, HRT (hormone replacement therapy) doesn't necessarily spell relief for the symptoms (there is also research suggesting a link between synthetic conjugated estrogen and breast cancer), and if thats not enough food-for-thought, your physician will not be able to definitively predict what your outcome may be. I hope my experience is helpful to those who are considering either procedure. Good luck!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Epilady?!?

Oh man... I have something like this — but I don't really use the epilation part of it anymore. It's an electric shaver (which I DO use) that has an...

Today, 05:16 PM By Alison H.
              • Reply to Ex boyfriend dilemma

It's almost impossible to know how your baby will look like.

Today, 02:15 PM By ferahunt
              • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

never wanted to get married let alone have kids
                also, have health issues that would make caring for an infant difficult

after being...

Today, 10:12 AM By amy40
              • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

I'm also childfree by choice. I never felt the desire to have kids. I also have some other health issues that would make pregnancy and care for an infant...

Today, 05:11 AM By Laura V.
              • Reply to Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating?

Totaly agreed...

Yesterday, 01:28 PM By Louna11

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• stabbing pain

started have stabbing pain in vulva area
                looked it up & says vulvodynia
                however, I have had this stabbing pain in one leg & side,...

09-19-2021, 10:09 AM By amy40
              • Epilady?!?

I was cleaning out an old trunk from my teen years and came upon the medieval torture implement, the epilady. For the uninitiated, it’s a device that...

09-16-2021, 11:32 PM By Wednesday L.F.
              • Phonesex, anyone?

In my 20s, I worked as a phonesex girl. It was fun and all, but it led me to not want to engage in that sort of activity in my personal life. Fast forward...

09-16-2021, 11:28 PM By Wednesday L.F.
              • Skyla IUD Sudden Period Problems

I’ve had my Skyla IUD for 2 and a half years now, no complications except for hormonal acne that’s managed well. It’s due to expire next May. My...

09-06-2021, 02:21 PM By LuckyWitch77
              Working...
              X