Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hpv

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only med I take is birth control which I have been on since 15 for abnormal periods. When I was 18 and had an abnormal pap for the first time I had only been with one partner. He was also a virgin when we got together. So I’m positive he didn’t give it to me. That is why I’m baffled by it.
    Countrygirl- when they tell you you have hpv they do not tell you which # you have (that’s what my doc told me anyway)
    My other question is this. My current boy discovered a very small wart in his pubic region ( not penis or scrotum) in his hair…he never had it before. I know men are usually carriers of this. But my question is could I have passed it to him? Does it work that way?? My doc couldn’t tell me for sure. Also, I almost feel rushed now…like I should think about whether or not I want kids soon…I feel like a ticking time bomb.
    Smile...it's not so bad.

Comment

• First thing…. so were you actually diagnosed with HPV when you had your abnormal pap or were just told you had an abnormal pap? The following responses kind of depend on that. There are other factors that can contribute to an abnormal pap.

When you got tested for HPV, you should have gotten a lab summary stating which types (even a generalization) that you might have and the risk factors. The doctor then should have explained to you what that means and answer any questions you had. Also, if he couldn’t tell you how passing HPV on to someone else works, then you definitely might want to get another opinion??

Men aren’t necessarily carriers of HPV, but they may get it from someone and not know it. There really isn’t a specific HPV test for men or any way of knowing, other than seeing actual physical changes (warts). Maybe your current partner got HPV before you guys got together and didn’t know... it can take a while for any symptoms to show, if at all. And from the description of his wart in his pubic region, it sounds like he may definitely have it. Warts can develop anywhere in that area.

To directly answer your question, if you had HPV before meeting your current boyfriend, then you could have passed it on to him, even using condoms. Or if he had it, he could have passed it on to you. Any genital skin contact could have passed it on. It’s a sexually transmitted disease. Also, different people exhibit different symptoms from the same strain of HPV-different bodies react differently.

Don’t let a diagnosis of HPV or anything rush you into having kids. If you have it, you have it for life, although symptoms may come and go or disappear altogether.

Let me know about the question in the first line… Then I can clarify anything that I know the answer to.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X