Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legs closed

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WildChild
    replied
    Wow Sandra, I don't know what sort of GYN you go to, but at over 50, I've seen a few, I never had or seen any equipment for strapping someone's feet into the stirrups or for straps for restraining the knees.
    I don't know Any women who prefer a male GYN, many don't really have a preference but you are the first I've heard of who thinks a male is more sensitive to women's feelings. My own experiences have been quite the opposite.

By spreading clamp, do you mean a speculum? And what is a smear patch"? I've always had a doc use a rather long version of a Qtip. But I'm in the US, perhaps other areas have slightly different practices. That wouldn't surprise me.

Personally, I think your description of your behavior toward your GYN sounds wildly inappropriate. I do hope he follows the accepted standard and in some places required practice, of having a nurse present at all times while examining you.

Kate, GYNs and their support staff should be generally experienced and trained in helping women relax and feel comfortable. They usually explain exactly what they are doing and why and what you can expect to feel as they do. It is a quick and simple process.

Leave a comment:

• CHANDLERS WISH
    replied
    thread closed, OP keeps repeated the same thread over and over,please stick to one thread when it pertains one question.

CW

Leave a comment:

• Sandra_does
    replied
    I forgot to add, Kate, that the restraints are usualy used "only" if you have fears and a history of being very tense during the exam. If this is your situation then tell the GYN ahead of time. After a few visits and having gained confidence you will adjust to the situation and not need restraints any longer...

The important thing is to "always" communicate with your GYN before the examination begins...he / she will understand and do what's right for you...

Good luck, Kate, you will get thru it...

Sandra_does...

Leave a comment:

• Sandra_does
    replied
    I must presume you have never had a GYN exam, Kate, but must admit my inner thoughts are that Kate is a man and not a young girl at all...

Giving to either possibility, male or female interests, the truth is that during a GYN exam the feet are strapped into affixed sandals and also are there straps to restrain the knees, if needed, so that the patient cannot close her legs...

Many women prefer a male GYN, and I am one of those. Male GYNs appear more sensitive to our feelings when they attach the spreading clamp and then insert the darn smear patch. My male GYN even uses pre-warmed tools. I have tried two female GYNs in the past and found them not always sensitive to our feelings, especially if they are having a bad-hair day...

Besides, it's really fun teasing a male GYN as he "pretends" looking at my lovely intimates as if it doesn't bother him...lol When he inserts the smear patch I sometimes groan a little, thrust my hips and even sometimes tell him not to stop...WOW...does his face get red...heeee heee

Kate, it's something we all must do so why should it be a painful ordeal...? I will have a male GYN forever...

Sandra_does...

Leave a comment:

• andromeda
    replied
    Hi Kate, no one likes having to go through a GYN exam.
    It is presumed that you are there because you need to be and want to have the dr. services. The Dr. won't take heavy machinery to pry your legs open, however they might speak with you and gently move them apart. Just tell them how you feel... and it will be fine.

Some women prefer male doctors to female doctors... I guess that you will have to find one that you are comfortable with.

Leave a comment:

• kate09
    started a topic Legs closed

Legs closed

What happens if a girl is very tensed or close her legs during a GYN exam ? Will the doctor do the exam anyway ? Will he push her legs apart ?
or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Epilady?!?

Oh man... I have something like this — but I don't really use the epilation part of it anymore. It's an electric shaver (which I DO use) that has an...

Today, 05:16 PM By Alison H.
  • Reply to Ex boyfriend dilemma

It's almost impossible to know how your baby will look like.

Today, 02:15 PM By ferahunt
  • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

never wanted to get married let alone have kids
    also, have health issues that would make caring for an infant difficult

after being...

Today, 10:12 AM By amy40
  • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

I'm also childfree by choice. I never felt the desire to have kids. I also have some other health issues that would make pregnancy and care for an infant...

Today, 05:11 AM By Laura V.
  • Reply to Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating?

Totaly agreed...

Yesterday, 01:28 PM By Louna11

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• stabbing pain

started have stabbing pain in vulva area
    looked it up & says vulvodynia
    however, I have had this stabbing pain in one leg & side,...

09-19-2021, 10:09 AM By amy40
  • Epilady?!?

I was cleaning out an old trunk from my teen years and came upon the medieval torture implement, the epilady. For the uninitiated, it’s a device that...

09-16-2021, 11:32 PM By Wednesday L.F.
  • Phonesex, anyone?

In my 20s, I worked as a phonesex girl. It was fun and all, but it led me to not want to engage in that sort of activity in my personal life. Fast forward...

09-16-2021, 11:28 PM By Wednesday L.F.
  • Skyla IUD Sudden Period Problems

I’ve had my Skyla IUD for 2 and a half years now, no complications except for hormonal acne that’s managed well. It’s due to expire next May. My...

09-06-2021, 02:21 PM By LuckyWitch77
Working...
X