Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustration with prolonged periods

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeingPositive34
    replied
    A mystery is right! Thanks for the response. I did go ahead and accept the prescription for BC and it's only my third day taking it... What kind of cyst did your mother have?

When I went for the ultrasound, the tech said that there was a cyst on my left ovary that she could see. She did not tell me the size, she technically is not supposed to say anything about the ultrasound... The doctor said everything was normal and did not mention there being a cyst. I know that somewhere during our cycle, there can be follicles and depending on the size of the egg, or follicle at the time it can be called a cyst.. so during ovulation all these different things are happeing and maybe that's what she saw. I have no clue. I am going to get copies of my labs and the ultrasound report for my own sanity and then more than likely see another doctor in a couple of months when I am able to get health insurance.

Glad to hear that you were able to find a BC that worked/works for you. It's just weird to have irregular periods after being regular for so many years!!!

Leave a comment:

• LanaBear
    replied
    What a mystery out bodies can be, huh?

My first thought was to have the Dr do an ultrasound of your ovaries to check for cysts, etc. But I can see you have already had that done. My mom had this same issue, but there was a cyst and she had it removed.

I have had the most irregular periods known to man, I swear. I did, however, opt for BC. I know you don't want to use it as a band aid, but as long as the Dr has checked you out, it may be your best option. Or getting a second opinion, but without insurance, I'm sure that is a hard option as well.

If you choose BC, go with a low dose pill. They have very literal hormones, but will do the job. I took Nordette (tubes are tied now), but artificial hormones always took their toll on me with headaches, etc. But I found a low dose pill helped a lot, I'm 31 and took it for about 11 years except when trying to get pregnant or being pregnant.

Leave a comment:

• BeingPositive34
    started a topic Frustration with prolonged periods

Frustration with prolonged periods

Hi, I am new to the forums here and have been experiencing some crazy periods!!! I am 25 and have read a lot of different stories about females that have had prolonged periods and no answers!! It's very frustrating!
    I haven't had a "normal" period since December of '08! I am someone that has been regular since I was 13, never late, always very regular. In January I missed my period completely... after being frantic about being pregnant and several negative at home pregnancy tests, I went to have blood work done. I had a quantitative Hcg(pregnancy hormone) blood test and the results were negative. Finally in Feb, a week late (if I had a period in Jan) I had a period. It was the normal seven days and then two weeks later I had another period that lasted a week. So I though ok.. I missed a period so it's coming twice. Well, in March I also bled two separate (7 days long) but two weeks apart. Odd. Then I started to have thirty to forty days of spotting, bleeding lightly and heavy bleeding with blood clots and all and then it will stop for 4-6 days then start all over again.. Finally the end of May I decided to go to a doctor. I don't have insurance and so I decided to wait as long as I could, but after five months I decided it was time especially when I started having clots. The bleeding would be heavy on days I exercised or had sex.
    Well, I've had all kinds of blood tests except the Doctor said they won't test my hormone levels because I'm too young. My thyroid is normal, pituitary is normal, had an ultrasound to rule out polycystic ovaries...everything came back normal. This is so frustrating!! Told me to take birth control pills to regulate my period and to lose some weight. HA HA HA. wow. I know weight can be a factor for our hormones, but I have lost weight if anything in the last year... and before that have maintained the same weight for many years.
    I am just worried about taking the BC pills and using them as a band aid. I really want the bleeding to stop. I don't understand why all of a sudden my hormones would be malfunctioning! Anybody else have the same experiences and find out the cause?
or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• stabbing pain

delete

09-19-2021, 10:09 AM By amy40
  • Epilady?!?

I was cleaning out an old trunk from my teen years and came upon the medieval torture implement, the epilady. For the uninitiated, it’s a device that...

09-16-2021, 11:32 PM By Wednesday L.F.
  • Phonesex, anyone?

In my 20s, I worked as a phonesex girl. It was fun and all, but it led me to not want to engage in that sort of activity in my personal life. Fast forward...

09-16-2021, 11:28 PM By Wednesday L.F.
  • Skyla IUD Sudden Period Problems

I’ve had my Skyla IUD for 2 and a half years now, no complications except for hormonal acne that’s managed well. It’s due to expire next May. My...

09-06-2021, 02:21 PM By LuckyWitch77
Working...
X