Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Past abuse suspicion ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past abuse suspicion ?

Will the doctor suspect past abuse/rape if a girl closes her legs during a gyn exam or is very tight ?

• No. Many women tense up at the thought of a gyno exam regaurdless of sexual history and/or history of abuse.

If you close your legs, they can take it as an indicator of shyness, nervousness, modesty, so many variables.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Comment

• What if I close my legs right when they are about to insert fingers or the speculum ?

Comment

• It wouldn't give them any more reason to expect abuse. If you read through some scared of the gyno posts, there are many women with no sexual abuse history that are terrified of a stranger putting some apperatus in their vagina. They are professionals and have seen it and heard it all before, I don't think anything you do on that table would shock them.

Can I ask you though, were you abused and you are afraid of them knowing? Or were you not abused and afraid of them thinking you were? Either way, there is nothing telling about a vagina or a persons reaction to an exam that would indicate abuse in most cases, unless there was fresh tears or trauma (bruises etc) and even then they'd no more know if that was rough sex or rape etc..

They are there to make sure you don't have cervical cancer, std's etc.. they really aren't there to figure out the emotional aspects of what is going on with you, and would likely refer you someone to talk to if they felt you might need to , say if you started crying or something during the exam... someone might hand you a card for a rape counselor or something.. but other than that I don't see them involving themselves too much.

What are you afraid of?
        Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Comment

• I am a virgin and I'm scared they wont stop if it hurts, I'm scared I'll tense up a lot and close my legs.

Comment

• Be sure they are aware of your virginity status prior to the exam, let them know you are afraid of it hurting, this will make them take extra special precautions to ensure your comfort the entire time.

Given that you are a virgin, they will probably be able to do a much less invasive exam on you.

Do you use tampons? If so its definitely no worse than that.

Comment

• I know a speculum is really big. it's bigger than a tampon.

I'm 22 though and they'll laugh at me being a virgin and being scared.

Comment

• Your assuming..........

Talk to them "before" they do anything and explain your fears..... that way they will be aware that you haven't had this done before let alone something larger.

You'll be fine.

CW
                PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• definently tell them I was 16 and a virgin and didn't tell my doctor...well it HURT really bad and I bled alot....it probably wouldn't have been near as bad if I would have told her

Comment

• Originally posted by kate09 View Post

I'm 22 though and they'll laugh at me being a virgin and being scared.
                    Um. No. No doctor will think you are weird or laugh at you. Tell the doctor the truth and then try your best to relax until it's over. Some doctors will even talk to you to help distract you. Don't be so scared. It really isn't that bad. And being a 22-year-old virgin does not make you weird.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Epilady?!?

Oh man... I have something like this — but I don't really use the epilation part of it anymore. It's an electric shaver (which I DO use) that has an...

Today, 05:16 PM By Alison H.
                    • Reply to Ex boyfriend dilemma

It's almost impossible to know how your baby will look like.

Today, 02:15 PM By ferahunt
                    • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

never wanted to get married let alone have kids
                      also, have health issues that would make caring for an infant difficult

after being...

Today, 10:12 AM By amy40
                    • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

I'm also childfree by choice. I never felt the desire to have kids. I also have some other health issues that would make pregnancy and care for an infant...

Today, 05:11 AM By Laura V.
                    • Reply to Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating?

Totaly agreed...

Yesterday, 01:28 PM By Louna11

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• stabbing pain

started have stabbing pain in vulva area
                      looked it up & says vulvodynia
                      however, I have had this stabbing pain in one leg & side,...

09-19-2021, 10:09 AM By amy40
                    • Epilady?!?

I was cleaning out an old trunk from my teen years and came upon the medieval torture implement, the epilady. For the uninitiated, it’s a device that...

09-16-2021, 11:32 PM By Wednesday L.F.
                    • Phonesex, anyone?

In my 20s, I worked as a phonesex girl. It was fun and all, but it led me to not want to engage in that sort of activity in my personal life. Fast forward...

09-16-2021, 11:28 PM By Wednesday L.F.
                    • Skyla IUD Sudden Period Problems

I’ve had my Skyla IUD for 2 and a half years now, no complications except for hormonal acne that’s managed well. It’s due to expire next May. My...

09-06-2021, 02:21 PM By LuckyWitch77
                    Working...
                    X