Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Period

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kallygirlie
    replied
    just to relate

I just thought I'd share my first time with you. the clots worried me to. Honestly, those are just pieces of your uterine wall shedding. Which is so completely normal. The cramps. I actually was one of the lucky few when i started at first. It wasn't until many yrs later that I would get cramps. now I get them on the first day and thats it. It helps a bit cause I know for sure the day I'm gonna start so I can put a pad on and protect my underwear until I bleed, then I'll get the tampons. As far brands. Pads I love Stayfree ultra then. you can barely feel them there. and I use platex gentile glide tampons. those are the only ones I've been able to deal with. When I first started I would bleed for about 8 days. over the yrs its gotte shorter. I now go 4-5 days and still end with the brown discharge. The brown discharge to me is my sign that I'm almost done. congrats on becoming a women hun. Its not the most fun thing but there women here ready to answer all your questions

Leave a comment:

• sd_mom
    replied
    Pads vs. Tampons

Originally posted by Stephy View Post
    I am 15 and got my first period yesterday. I use a mixture or tampons and pads. Today when i pulled out my tampon(Excuse graphics) a big blob of thick blood fell out. Am i OK? what is this?
    Hi Stephy, as a woman in her mid-thirties, I've gone through many a menstrual cycle. You mentioned you use tampons and pads, but for someone so young I would assume you'd lead an active lifestyle; sports maybe, going out with friends, going to the beach and such...this may be a bit off topic but I wanted to suggest another alternative to pads and tampons that won't feel like you're wearing a diaper all day or feel like you have to run to the restroom every few hours to change your tampon.

I just wanted to share with you (and everyone!) a solution to this problem in the form of the Instead Softcup, which was recommended to me by a friend of mine who is working with a company who had a product that was receiving tons of positive reviews as a menstrual cup. It's a tampon alternative that looks like literally a soft cup that is inserted into your vagina and sits beneath your cervix while it collects the fluids. What's great is that Instead Softcup has the ability to collect fluids for up to 12 hours and unlike a pad, I can move about my active lifestyle without the 'diaper' holding me back, and unlike a tampon it doesn't leave any residue behind!

I bought the Instead Softcup in the feminine section at Wal Mart, but I know they also carry them at many drugstores and online. Don't be deterred by what they look like, as they are easy to use, VERY comfortable and most importantly SAFE (I have researched and gotten inside info from my friend because of the work arrangement). Hope this helps, and welcome to womanhood!
    Last edited by Little; 08-24-2009, 10:50 AM. Reason: outbound links

Leave a comment:

• Katsaly
    replied
    If it's not happening when you are asleep, then it IS getting lighter. It needs gravity to move it along and then you basically bleed all the build-up after a few hours of being up. Sounds like my first period. Don't worry, you'll get a better feel for things as time goes on.

Leave a comment:

• Stephy
    replied
    ok so tommorow will be 1 week and its suppose to go right? i have litterally NO flow at night, but after like 3 hours of getting up it comes back! im getting brownish discharge now does that mean its the end? but every once in a while i will start to bleed alot. Like today i slept and NOTHING woke up ate, watched TV and around 11 am(after 3 hours of being up) i started to bleed quite alot. Then 4 hours later i changed my tampon and it was like almost leaking but this is day 6! it suppose to get lighter. im so confused!

Leave a comment:

• Stephy
    replied
    ugh, tommorow will be day 4 and its just getting worse! like heavier! i hope it gets lighter from here on cause i want to SLEEP!! i hate having to wake up every 2-4 hours to change a tampon! i love to sleep lol

Leave a comment:

• Katsaly
    replied
    ok thanks for your help! i have alot more questions! lol i find the internet exagerates things ALOT. last question, i swear

what is the best pad and what is the best tampon? i have always infinity and playtex sprt/gentle glide. last night i used stayfree and i leaked insane!!!!!!i guess this one sucks right?

When I first started my period I only used pads. My mom wanted me to wait before switching to Tampons. The reason I even asked her was the nightime leaking.

What I eventually found worked was the best absorbency overnight Always pad, and (this may sound weird) tuck the very back end into your butt crack. Most of my leaking was out the back and everywhere from there. Tucking the end caught the slow leaking and absorbed it. Other than that, try to make sure the pad is snug against you, I guess... I remember that nightmare of ruined sheets for the first few months...

The best Tampons:

I used Tampax for the longest time, and when I tried another brand I felt like an idiot for being so loyal to Tampax! Playtex turned out to be way better, and now I love o.b. Plus the lack of applicator means less waste, and easier to stash in your pocket! Buy a few sample packs and see what works for you!

Leave a comment:

• WildChild
    replied
    Over night pads are great because they are longer and thicker. You will have to try different types and see what you like. I always disliked the ones with "wings" The same is true of tampons, there are different types of applicators and everyone has their preference. It is better avoid the scented stuff, it can irritate your tissues.

It may take you several months before your period is regular. It's a really good idea to keep track, just a little code on your calendar, Track start and stop as well as heavy and light days. Once you know your own cycle you will have a better idea what you need and when.

Mine started out terribly irratic and I would bleed for weeks, my daughter had the same problem. Cramps were almost never and issue for me but one of my sisters would be literally doubled up, in pain for a couple of days. She would miss school, Fortunately she out grew it and hasn't had any trouble as an adult. For light cramping, some exersize or a brisk walk can work wonders.

Welcome to the world of women dear one !

Leave a comment:

• LanaBear
    replied
    No worries, that's what we're here for.

It's all going to depend on what you like and what works best for you. Everything I use is unscented for one. Switch around until you find what works best for you. I'm 31 and I've finally settled on Tampax Compak Pearl and when I do use a pad, I use Always UltraThin. If you are leaking at night, use a heavier absorbency pad, super or overnights.

Leave a comment:

• Stephy
    replied
    ok thanks for your help! i have alot more questions! lol i find the internet exagerates things ALOT. last question, i swear

what is the best pad and what is the best tampon? i have always infinity and playtex sprt/gentle glide. last night i used stayfree and i leaked insane!!!!!!i guess this one sucks right?

Leave a comment:

• LanaBear
    replied
    No - just don't use super and think you can leave it in for 10. I believe rule of thumb is don't leave a tampon in longer than 8... I alter between light, normal and super depending on flow from day to day.

Leave a comment:

• Stephy
    replied
    well is it bad to use a super and change it every 4 hours and have it like almost full?

Leave a comment:

• LanaBear
    replied
    also have another question..

i have my period but i have like no cramps. every like 12 hours ill get something little(can bearly feel it) and thats it. do some women get this too? all my freinds get cramps
    You may be lucky and not get cramps or not bad ones at least. You'll know better after a few months.

and i was reading online that for your first cycle you should use a mixture of pads and tampons but i HATE pads!! is it ok if i just use tampons. i have for the last day lol
    Use whatever feels comfortable to you. Just be sure to educate yourself regarding TSS. Use the lowest absorbancy tampon that is comfortable to you. Don't use the supers thinking you won't have to change them as much. I change mine every 4-6 hours depending on flow. I use tampons 99% of the time, but I don't use them at night.

Leave a comment:

• Stephy
    replied
    and i was reading online that for your first cycle you should use a mixture of pads and tampons but i HATE pads!! is it ok if i just use tampons. i have for the last day lol

Leave a comment:

• Stephy
    replied
    also have another question..

i have my period but i have like no cramps. every like 12 hours ill get something little(can bearly feel it) and thats it. do some women get this too? all my freinds get cramps

Leave a comment:

• Stephy
    replied
    no i didnt mean now lol. like in a couple months.

Leave a comment:

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Epilady?!?

Oh man... I have something like this — but I don't really use the epilation part of it anymore. It's an electric shaver (which I DO use) that has an...

Today, 05:16 PM By Alison H.
  • Reply to Ex boyfriend dilemma

It's almost impossible to know how your baby will look like.

Today, 02:15 PM By ferahunt
  • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

never wanted to get married let alone have kids
    also, have health issues that would make caring for an infant difficult

after being...

Today, 10:12 AM By amy40
  • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

I'm also childfree by choice. I never felt the desire to have kids. I also have some other health issues that would make pregnancy and care for an infant...

Today, 05:11 AM By Laura V.
  • Reply to Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating?

Totaly agreed...

Yesterday, 01:28 PM By Louna11

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• stabbing pain

started have stabbing pain in vulva area
    looked it up & says vulvodynia
    however, I have had this stabbing pain in one leg & side,...

09-19-2021, 10:09 AM By amy40
  • Epilady?!?

I was cleaning out an old trunk from my teen years and came upon the medieval torture implement, the epilady. For the uninitiated, it’s a device that...

09-16-2021, 11:32 PM By Wednesday L.F.
  • Phonesex, anyone?

In my 20s, I worked as a phonesex girl. It was fun and all, but it led me to not want to engage in that sort of activity in my personal life. Fast forward...

09-16-2021, 11:28 PM By Wednesday L.F.
  • Skyla IUD Sudden Period Problems

I’ve had my Skyla IUD for 2 and a half years now, no complications except for hormonal acne that’s managed well. It’s due to expire next May. My...

09-06-2021, 02:21 PM By LuckyWitch77
Working...
X