Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there over the counter meds for yeast infections?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there over the counter meds for yeast infections?

I don't have health insurance so I'm trying to use going to a doctor as the last resort. I am pretty sure I have a yeast infection. Are there any over-the-counter medicines for yeast infections? Something I don't need a prescription for.

I am not on any other kinds of medicines, so I can take anything right now.
    "Look both ways before you cross the street"

• Yes they do make them, Monistat is probably one of the most popular brands of OTC Yeast Infection Meds. You might alway want to try eating lots of yogurt and drinking cranberry juice.

Be careful with using OTC medications w/o Dr. consent tho! These anti-fungal meds can have some serious interactions with other drugs, but you said you aren't taking anything so no worries there. They are also not meant for women who are pregnant, have diabetes or decreased immunities, etc... there are a lot of "what ifs" using these meds.

Maybe try the yogury/cranberry juice trick first?

Comment

• Ask your pharmacist any nit picky questions. They are trained to answer the questions about drug interactions and possible side effects. They are very likely going to say you can give it a try though, it will not hurt you.
      There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Originally posted by KMonte85 View Post
        Yes they do make them, Monistat is probably one of the most popular brands of OTC Yeast Infection Meds. You might alway want to try eating lots of yogurt and drinking cranberry juice.

Be careful with using OTC medications w/o Dr. consent tho! These anti-fungal meds can have some serious interactions with other drugs, but you said you aren't taking anything so no worries there. They are also not meant for women who are pregnant, have diabetes or decreased immunities, etc... there are a lot of "what ifs" using these meds.

Maybe try the yogury/cranberry juice trick first?
        Hey! Thanks so much for writing! Ok, I'll try the yogurt. Good thing I like yogurt, ha ha :-) Is Montistat a pill or a cream? Yeah, I'm not taking anything else so I am sure Monistat will be okay. I'm not pregnant and have no underlying conditions or diseases. I am crossing my fingers Monistat helps.

Thank you so much for the advice!!
        "Look both ways before you cross the street"

Comment

• so how is it going now??
          Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Anderson

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X