Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BV and what I have tried..

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kwinterwinter
    replied
    Hi, I know this thread is a bit old but I just went through hoops to register so I can contribute to this topic. I cannot stress and agree enough with what captainsweetie said. It is 100% nutritional. It has to do with the balance of your intestines, blood sugars, acidity etc.

I suffered for YEARS AND YEARS with yeast and bv. It effected my relationships. I was always using rephresh, or taking flagyl, or over the counter creams. It was awful and affected my whole life. Sometimes I couldn't sleep bc the pain was so bad. I would have to stop working out. i looked pregnant from bloating at times! Did I mention it affected my relationships!! Yes!! Awful!!
    Anyway, years later (still suffering) I was dealing with some more serious health problems and in the process eliminated all grains, fruits, nuts, and dairy. I know this is extreme... (But I did it and I survived) AND THIS COMPLETELY CURED MY VAGINA. All the yeast and bv was gone!!!! It was a miracle. I realized that in the past when I thought I was eating "healthy" I was eating so much sugar and vinegar. I ate a TON of fruit, and rice cakes and dried fruit and salad dressings and salsa, and pickles, and tomato sauce. Is this adding up yet? I craved vinegars and sugars and it was feeding and contributing to the imbalance in my gut. I cannot express the amount of health I felt when I eliminated these foods and was strictly eating greens (no starches, tomatoes, corn, peas, carrots) and plain chicken, salmon and sardines. Yes, sardines. Sherri, if you're reading this- your diet is absolutely the culprit. Cereal and milk- all sugar. Pita (even whole wheat) jam and pb, all sugar! It's all tons of sugar and this is no fault of your own but a very flawed American diet that is fed to us from our youth and preached as "healthy". Well it's not! Google "strict candida diet" this will help you. I also agree with the baking soda although you must be very careful with this as overdoing it can be dangerous. Momma hen.. Certain foods that may seem acidic, or alkaline, but CAUSE different effects on our system upon entering our bodies. For example, sugar is alkaline.... It can get confusing. I would much less try and think of your diet as acidic vs alkaline and think of it in terms of sugar, no sugar. You can taste the sugar in sugar snap peas! You can easily detect the enormous amounts of sugar in ketchup (once you realize it's there and that's what you're tasting haha). It is insane how much sugar and wheat we consume completely unaware. I know this is lengthy- and I will tell you right now that I am struggling to get back off the sugar after reintroducing it- it's definitely a drug! But here's where the proof lies: I cleaned up my diet, here's what happened: vagina is healthy, my skin was flawless, I lost 10 lbs in a month (and I wasn't overweight, it was like puffiness went away or something), my eyes were whiter, no headaches, my sinuses cleared, allergies were gone, my fingernails were strong.. The list goes on. I go back to sugar: I can feel the bv returning! If I cut it out again, it goes away. It's like a monster lurking!!! This has happened enough times for me to know its absolutely diet related. Also i get pimples, etc etc, everything else too...it sucks. but it also makes sense. our por bodies arent made for so much garbage. Also I totally agree abt the wine. If I had a few glasses with friends when I was on the sugar train I'd be in agony by morning- the worst itch ever. Ugh... It's horrid! Again- sorry for the long post- but if I can just help one person free themselves of this!!! It is really a simple fix- but not the easiest one as it involves major life change. I think it's worth it! Message me if you want more info on diet etc.
    -Kwinter

Leave a comment:

• Momma Hen
    replied
    Oregano Oil

Has anyone tried Oregano Oil for BV? I spoke to my doc today and she recommended a second round of Flagyl. I don't want to do that since last time I took two rounds of it, it was another 3 months before my ph balance was normal. In other words, I still had a lot of the BV symptoms for three months AFTER completing the double round of antibiotics. My chiropractor is recommending Oil of Oregano. His recommended dosage is 5 tablets 3x/day for one week before meals. The following 21 days take 3 tablets 3x/day before meals. Also use the oil of oregano tablets as vaginal suppository at night. I'm going to try it. It is expensive, though. At least the stuff he sells in his office is a small fortune. I'm desperate.

Leave a comment:

• Momma Hen
    replied
    Flagyl

Just wanted to let you all know that I caved in and took Flagyl after more than two weeks of probiotics, garlic suppositories, apple cider (oral and tepid baths), loads of vitamins... and no success. On day 4 of the flagyl I had my first day of relief. Then I started getting uncomfortable down there again. Finished day 7 on the Flagyl and continued with natural remedies. I believe that the Flagyl kills the BV for me, but then you have to deal with the ph balance issue that the antibiotic damages. So now I am feeling better and better every day. Oh, I'm sleeping without panties or shorts or anything too and I get out of my panties as much as I can during the day (like if I'm taking a nap or just relaxing at home). The post-flagyl symptoms do mimic BV, but it is a little different. No stinky discharge, though I feel dry and wet and uncomfortable all at the same time and get the sores. It IS GOING AWAY. Now to keep it at bay... we'll see how it goes. Last time I was rid of it for 7 or 8 months with this strategy. If I have to go on flagyl once or twice a year to keep it away, combined with natural remedies to treat the ph balance, I guess that isn't all bad. This is my experience. Not medical advice. God heal you all!

Leave a comment:

• Momma Hen
    replied
    Baking Soda

Originally posted by captainsweetie View Post
    Hi Sherri,
    let me express my sincere sympathy that you have dealt with this problem for so long. I developed BV about 6 months ago and after a trip to the doctor to find out what the heck was going on, I decided to do my own research and finally after months of trying different things (that never worked permanently) I finally found the cure for BV. Yes I said it, the CURE for BV. So I am on a mission to share this with as many forums as I can because this frustrating and painful problem almost destroyed my marriage. What I found out is that this is NOT a vaginal problem! Forget antibiotics, douching, vaginal inserts... BV is a nutritional problem that manifests itself in the vagina. So by treating the vagina, all you are doing is putting a band aid on a much bigger problem. The underlying problem is that the american diet is FAR too acidic and out bodies eventually become too acidic and once that happens, it is difficult to get it switched back to the proper PH. To fix my PH, the first thing I did was go online and research which foods were acidic and which foods were basic (opposite of acidic) and this is what I found. Vegetables are pretty much the only foods that are basic. And the american diet contains far too few of them. Spinach is your best friend! I previously had been consuming a lot of meat and dairy products so I cut back on those considerably. I still eat meat (no longer eat dairy) but I always make sure I eat equal amounts of vegetables as I do meat. Avoid alcohol like the plague! Especially wine! A single glass of wine will set off my BV overnight. So I eat a salad that has spinach and lettuce and as many vegetables as I can find in it for every meal. ¥es even breakfast! Grain and sugars are also very acidic so I now eat very few of those as well. The next thing I'm going to share should be used carefully and religiously if you want to get rid of your BV for good. Baking soda is the magic ingredient to get rid of BV for good. It is a great PH balancer but must be used carefully because you don't want to interfere with your digestion of foods with it, that will create a bigger problem all on its own. But to initially get rid of BV I would drink a 8 oz glass of water with a half a teaspoon of baking soda stirred into it, first thing in the morning when I got up, before I ate anything. Then wait at least an hour before eating anything to make sure it is all out of your stomach. I did this religiously for about a month and haven't had a hint of BV for over 3 months now. If you happen to want a glass of wine, or are just plain unable to access your wonderful salad with your meal that will magically balance out your PH, drink a glass of baking soda water at night before you go to bed. But this must be at least 4 hours after eating! This is very important! If you drink your baking soda water while food is still in your stomach you will interfere with the digestion and nutritional absorption process and this is very bad! So if you are going to drink baking soda water after food, make sure it has been at least 4 hours, more if it was a really big meal. But if you want to go out drinking and dancing with the girls, and don't eat any food, definitely drink the baking soda water before you go to bed. Yes I know you will have to get up and pee in the middle of the night, but it's a small price to pay to be free of this frustrating problem. And alcohol definitely sets it off! So there you go. That is my secret to how I cured BV. I eat salad with every meal, I avoid grains and sugars, I eat meat in moderation and only with a salad, and I don't eat dairy at all, it is very acidic. Yes I take a probiotic and folic acid, even though I eat so much spinach, it certainly cant hurt. After a month or so of taking the baking soda religiously, and no hint of the odor, I stopped doing the drink, and kept up with diet, and my BV has never come back. whenever I feel the urge for a glass of wine, I just chase it with baking soda water that night and the next morning because I know it really affects my PH quickly. I hope this helps. Good health to you.
    Tammy
    Tammy, I find your quote super helpful. I struggled with BV ever since I started having sex the first month of my marriage, 12 years ago. I thought the red, burning labia was because we weren't using the right lubricant or I was just too inexperienced. Since it was so obviously sex related for me and since so obviously there was only one partner, I just figured this was the pain of entering the world of sex. I am sad now that I realize how many years I suffered unnecessarily. And I'm still suffering, but I'm making progress. I have to say that I've come to realize that the BV symptoms for me are not always BV. I often have the discomfort (burning, tingling, dryness...) but no discharge or smell. But if I don't get control of it, it does seem to turn into BV. I've come to conclude that it's origin is a PH issue from my own experience, but I've been confused about the whole thing. If the PH problem means we need to make our diet more alkaline, why are the recommended treatments acidic ones? Like drinking Apple Cider Vinegar, rinsing with Apple Cider Vinegar, adding lemon to salads and drinking water. Aren't these acids and if it is acid that we are trying to avoid, how does that work? I just started symptoms a few days ago after four month of freedom. Super bummed. Ironically, symptoms for the first time ever have shown their ugly face BEFORE my period started. Normally it is right after the end of my period. Trying to figure out what changed. I do know that I've been under an incredible amount of stress and I have also noted a clear link between stress and my vaginal health. I have also probably gotten a little lazy with my oral pro-biotics and liquids intake.

I did want to share what brought me to four months of freedom: 1) Garlic cloves in the flower at the end of the day 2) yogurt in the flower at night 3) lots of water with lemon added 4) drinking Apple Cider Vinegar (2T diluted in a cup of water, 3 or 4X/day) 5) Oral probiotics 6) up the vitamin intake, especially calcium and vitamin C and whatever other immune-boosting vitamin was on hand. 7) I ate yogurt every day 8) I tried to watch my diet, but I suck at dieting, quite frankly. As soon as I try to avoid anything, I want it more than I ever would have wanted it on a normal day! Anyhow, I did all of this as long as symptoms persisted and then stopped. Side effect was a NASTY fungal infection-- (from the yogurt, I believe). I switched to Luvena probiotic cream and that seemed to work and no more fungus. I have to say I'm not even sure the yogurt I used had the active cultures. I live outside the US and the labels on the yogurt don't say anything about it. Can I just say that GARLIC is my favorite? When I'm out and about and I start feeling uncomfortable down there, I just can't wait to get home and stick a clove in there. It is like immediate relief for me. Another question: Is douching and rinsing the same thing? Like if I splash with apple cider vinegar (or sit in a bath with apple cider vinegar) after sex or to clean up in general, is that like douching? Because it really seems like the consensus is not to douche. Is putting the yogurt in there considered a douche? Because I really do think the yogurt helps. To get rid of BV you have to do TWO things. First, get rid of the bad guys (bacteria). Second, build up the good guys (good flora found in the vagina). That is what the yogurt or other probiotic vaginal treatments do. They build up the good guys.

Leave a comment:

• Sheri
    replied
    Tammy all I read on line says that Bv hapens when the acidity levels are low in the vagina..

BV does not thrive in an acid like environment in the vagina..
    will you send me a link to where it says that Low acidity is the answer to no BV.
    thanks , sheri

Leave a comment:

• Sheri
    replied
    Thank you Tammy...I do not drink at all...so that is good..beer, wine etc.
    The bread ...Yes everything you buy at the cafes or fast food has bread.
    I even use whole wheat pita bread at home three times a week to make a peanut butter and jam sandwich...
    So, how do I avoid bread when you go out and there is nothing but sandwiches at fast food places?
    What type of salad dressing do you use? Really do not like salads but would learn to..
    What can I eat for breakfast..usually it is juice and a pack of peanut butter crackers..or cereal and fat free milk..

Is fruit acidic...grapes , apples?

Any more ideas on what to eat..

The baking soda I can do...l hour before breakfast....
    Thank you for sharing..sheri

Leave a comment:

• captainsweetie
    replied
    Hi Sherri,
    let me express my sincere sympathy that you have dealt with this problem for so long. I developed BV about 6 months ago and after a trip to the doctor to find out what the heck was going on, I decided to do my own research and finally after months of trying different things (that never worked permanently) I finally found the cure for BV. Yes I said it, the CURE for BV. So I am on a mission to share this with as many forums as I can because this frustrating and painful problem almost destroyed my marriage. What I found out is that this is NOT a vaginal problem! Forget antibiotics, douching, vaginal inserts... BV is a nutritional problem that manifests itself in the vagina. So by treating the vagina, all you are doing is putting a band aid on a much bigger problem. The underlying problem is that the american diet is FAR too acidic and out bodies eventually become too acidic and once that happens, it is difficult to get it switched back to the proper PH. To fix my PH, the first thing I did was go online and research which foods were acidic and which foods were basic (opposite of acidic) and this is what I found. Vegetables are pretty much the only foods that are basic. And the american diet contains far too few of them. Spinach is your best friend! I previously had been consuming a lot of meat and dairy products so I cut back on those considerably. I still eat meat (no longer eat dairy) but I always make sure I eat equal amounts of vegetables as I do meat. Avoid alcohol like the plague! Especially wine! A single glass of wine will set off my BV overnight. So I eat a salad that has spinach and lettuce and as many vegetables as I can find in it for every meal. ¥es even breakfast! Grain and sugars are also very acidic so I now eat very few of those as well. The next thing I'm going to share should be used carefully and religiously if you want to get rid of your BV for good. Baking soda is the magic ingredient to get rid of BV for good. It is a great PH balancer but must be used carefully because you don't want to interfere with your digestion of foods with it, that will create a bigger problem all on its own. But to initially get rid of BV I would drink a 8 oz glass of water with a half a teaspoon of baking soda stirred into it, first thing in the morning when I got up, before I ate anything. Then wait at least an hour before eating anything to make sure it is all out of your stomach. I did this religiously for about a month and haven't had a hint of BV for over 3 months now. If you happen to want a glass of wine, or are just plain unable to access your wonderful salad with your meal that will magically balance out your PH, drink a glass of baking soda water at night before you go to bed. But this must be at least 4 hours after eating! This is very important! If you drink your baking soda water while food is still in your stomach you will interfere with the digestion and nutritional absorption process and this is very bad! So if you are going to drink baking soda water after food, make sure it has been at least 4 hours, more if it was a really big meal. But if you want to go out drinking and dancing with the girls, and don't eat any food, definitely drink the baking soda water before you go to bed. Yes I know you will have to get up and pee in the middle of the night, but it's a small price to pay to be free of this frustrating problem. And alcohol definitely sets it off! So there you go. That is my secret to how I cured BV. I eat salad with every meal, I avoid grains and sugars, I eat meat in moderation and only with a salad, and I don't eat dairy at all, it is very acidic. Yes I take a probiotic and folic acid, even though I eat so much spinach, it certainly cant hurt. After a month or so of taking the baking soda religiously, and no hint of the odor, I stopped doing the drink, and kept up with diet, and my BV has never come back. whenever I feel the urge for a glass of wine, I just chase it with baking soda water that night and the next morning because I know it really affects my PH quickly. I hope this helps. Good health to you.
    Tammy

Leave a comment:

• Sheri
    started a topic BV and what I have tried..

BV and what I have tried..

I have used flaygl and it does not work well, and makes me sick, but I always finish the entire week
    gagging and nauseated and weak...I have to treat the bv with it 6 times a year..
    I have used Clindesse and had a horrific adverse reaction to the l day application and reported
    that to the FDA a few years ago. I have also used metrogel...

I use Femdolphilus daily and also another high potency probiotic...
    and use Rephresh 3 times a week.

Nothing has stopped the infection...over a period of 25 years..

Someone on here mentioned the Reuteri by Natures way ..and I am ordering it
    tonight... Has anyone felt that it alone has helped them a lot with the BV?
    How much would you take a day of it, with food or without?

May I ask what grocery store yogurt can I use to insert inside if I want to add the reuteri to it at times?

Thanks Sheri
or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Strap on sex with boyfriend

You get to define your own sexuality. It isn't defined for you! Your boyfriend could have sex with men and still be straight. Personally I think men who...

10-22-2021, 02:59 PM By Gena G.
  • Reply to Just started dating someone...

I think you should wait to see if you develop a sexual spark. That would be the time to be completely open and reveal it.

10-22-2021, 01:43 PM By EmpyNester
  • Just started dating someone...

I just started dating someone (2 dates) who I met online. He's very nice and I'm enjoying his company (spark? Not yet). I was diagnosed as HPV+ during...

10-22-2021, 11:49 AM By Grace41
  • Reply to Dating and beauty maintenenance

I recommend doing a microdermabrasion treatment, or investing in an at home microdermabrasion machine! I have the PMD and use it once a week to exfoliate...

10-22-2021, 10:11 AM By Zoë T.
  • Reply to Strap on sex with boyfriend

Everyone has different likings when it comes to sex! Honestly, I find the amount of different kinks that this world holds to be pretty amazing. Pegging...

10-22-2021, 10:05 AM By Zoë T.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Just started dating someone...

I just started dating someone (2 dates) who I met online. He's very nice and I'm enjoying his company (spark? Not yet). I was diagnosed as HPV+ during...

10-22-2021, 11:49 AM By Grace41
  • does birth control cause inflammation?

people post risks of covid vaccine including inflammation & blood clots
    however, read that birth control has even higher risks than vaccine...

10-13-2021, 07:10 AM By amy40
  • Finishing Inside: Are You a Fan?

Hey, guys!

I just wrote an article about finishing inside your partner and the reasons why people do it and enjoy it. But here's the cool...

10-05-2021, 11:01 AM By Vanessa R.
  • Estradiol level is at 610

Hi,

I'm 37 and have been struggling with irregular periods for a few years. I spent quite some time with either not getting my period to...

10-05-2021, 03:42 AM By Janney
  • A night away - best sex in a long time

We have 4 kids and my husband and I never, ever go away just the two of us. We spent a night just us up in Salem, Mass just the two of us. My husband...

10-03-2021, 03:12 PM By CapeCRunner
Working...
X