Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cytolytic Vaginosis sufferers, try preseed alkaline lubricant

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But, too much lemon juice and chlorophyl stuff (which is what I did) made my urine VERY ALKALINE. Now more pain. And another problem.

Comment

• Same thing happened to me

Same thing happened to me. The excessive wetness during sex in a long, monogamous relationship that ended, and then, after one night unprotected sex with this man I was in love with I started with a strange smell and watery discharge which is exactly how you describe. It has been almost ten years. Doctors don't have a clue. Some thought it was BV, but nothing fixed the problem. I' ve tested negative to every STD in the book, taken every antibiotic you can think of ( they made everything OK for a couple of days, but then it all came back), and finally been diagnosed with CV and lactobacillosis (ph=2), which I suspect is wrong because I have a strong smell down there that I can smell through my pants sometimes. It makes me very uncomfortable and depressed.

CV/Lactobacillosis doesnt produce any smell, right?

Originally posted by sadandstressed View Post
      Hi Mamacita,

Thank you SO much for starting the thread, and sharing such detailed descriptions of your experience. As you can tell, even all these years later it's super helpful and appreciated. I have some questions for you, and all else reading or staying on top of this thread, especially afs, and several others who have posted recently and who maybe share similar experiences as me. First, I'll outline my situation, and apologize on advance for it being so long!!

January 2011, I ended a long monogamous 7 year relationship. Everything was OK 'down there', except for I became too wet during sex... but this was more of a problem because my ex wasn't exactly 'large', and so he slipped out a lot. It never really bothered me (it had been beneficial with past lovers) and really wasn't such a big deal. Anyway, discharge at all times of the month was fine... variable of course but nothing weird. I often (if not always) tasted myself before sex... just out of habit.. to make sure all was ok.. and always seemed fine to me!!!

After we broke up, I was a year celibate. Then i met someone who I liked a lot, and I was excited to have sex again. I felt clean and virginal and excited to share sex with someone who i had a much stronger sexual connection with than my ex.

So, in February 2012, i had (really enjoyable) sex with this new partner. 3 days later, i noticed a foul odor with some greyish discharge. It was awful. I'd never experienced anything wrong down there and it scared me. I went to the doctor, and they prescribed Flagyl for BV. The doctor asked if the sex had been protected, and it was for the most part except i did allow him to enter me once or twice before insisting on a condom. very STUPID i know... but i'm just giving you all the facts.

I was relieved when the Flagyl cleared up the BV immediately... I was VERY scared i'd caught something, and it shook me to the core in terms of solidifying my safe sex practices. A week or so later, i had sex with him again (I didn't tell him about the BV, as the doctor told me it wasn't a sexually transmitted disease, and was probably a common reaction to me becoming sexually active with someone new, having something 'up there' after having nothing for so long).

Low and behold, 3 days after having sex with him for the second time, with condom, the BV came back!! I took another round of Flagyl (which is apparently a very strong antibiotic) and it disappeared again. But this point I start researching like a crazy person online, and stumbling across many, many forum threads about people who have BV and CANNOT get rid of it. This upset me no end. I got immensely stressed. I started sharing my story with a couple of close friends, because i was so insanely stressed and upset agonized over it, and dreaded my new partner calling me before my BV had cleared up. Also at this point, I had stumbled across some online threads that suggested girls insist their male partners take a round of Flagyl when they have recurring BV. I'm sure you can empathize how confusing it is to read conflicting advice online... my doctor had insisted my partner need not take anything... but the pharmacists when i got the Flagyl recommended my partner definitely take Flagyl... (without me asking).. I was very confused.

To top top it off, i started to wonder whether my new partner was a bit 'dirty'... i.e. didn't clean his penis properly, or something....? Eventually i thought, i have to tell him... i want him to take ths Flagyl too... so i told him over email i'd had an infection both times we'd had sex, and that we absolutely have to use protection and not put his penis remotely near my vagina without a condom.. hah!... my plan was to also ask if he'd be prepared to take a round of Flagyl that i'd purchased in addition to my dose.. when i saw him..

I'M SORRY, I KNOW THIS STORY IS VERY LONG...

After the second round of Flagyl, i then kept waiting for everything to get 100% back to normal down there, but i was never 100% convinced it was quite right again. Honestly, once you get that bad odor smell in your nose, you're kinda always convinced it's still there. Anyway... i put off seeing him, made excuses and eventually didn't feel comfortable enough to express myself freely sexually with him, and avoiding seeing him ever again. I know that may sound stupid and childish, but I'm 35, he's 28... the age things was enough of a weird issue for me to begin with... then on top of already being brave enough to tell him about the infection (i didn't explain it was BV or a terrible fishy odor... i just said an infection)... I just couldn't face drowning the pour guy in horrible older women's troubles that related to our sex life, and my vagina, and have him ever remotely think i was still smelly... especially because as i said i wasn't 100% sure all was back to normal... even though the terrible fishy odor was gone.

I now started taking: folic acid, acidopholous capsules/probiotics, cranberry tablets, putting a priobiotic up there.... i didn't do any douching.

I stopped: taking my multi-vitamin, and my omega three fish oils - in case these were contributing to my weird odor. I also stopped eating garlic and onions.

Then about 6 weeks afterwards, i'm just so distraught that it's not 100% back to normal... it's not fishy,, but more... sour and creamy... turns out i have a yeast infection (not surprising after the Flagyl apparently), and i'm prescribed Monistat. I take it, and my yeast infection clears up... and then everything seems to be on the way to normal.

Except it's definitely NOT...

I have ever since had what i can only describe in the following ways:

- Excessive discharge... MAINLY very watery and clear and thin... that smells very very acidy, or sour, or 'chemically'

- Occasionally i will have what seems ore like my old normal, kinda white, slightly thicker, normal smelling discharge... but randomly out of the blue i will then have a little gush of this very watery weird sour discharge... which actually usually smells much stronger and sharper and sour than it actually tastes... doesn't taste so bad most of the time. But it's VERY strong smelling. The worst is not when i put my fingers down and smell them... the worst is somehow when i am out and about wearing jeans, and i can smell my discharge through my trousers. It's NOT foul and fishy... it's sharp and strong.

Note: Once, during my first period after the Flagyl, i was on the train wearing thick jeans, and i had this massive gush of what i thought was very heavy period. I was so nervous to walk home, thinking my jeans must be so heavily leaked through... but also kind of excited to have such a heavy period after years of very light flow... it felt kind of good to have a heavy day. Imagine my surprise when there is no blood at all, and merely very wet knickers... like someone had poured half a cup of sour liquid on them...!!!??? NOT urine. I did a google on this back then, and found a thread with many women discussing this phenomenon that no doctors could shed any light on. Some of them mentioned it happening spontanneously and often, and without warning... and this now filled me with additional dread. Luckily… that never happened again, since.

Anyway… it's now almost November. I never saw that guy again ,because i have no sexual confidence. My previous free and happy sexual self is a thing of the past. He checks in on me once in a while to say hi, and i avoid resuming connection with him romantically because i don't dare let anyone new go near my vagina when it tastes like… a battery?

I really my old 'musky' smell that was white and fluidy, and maybe a little sweet, but smelled sexual and clean. I feel like i now smell sour and sharp at worst, and just 'dead' at best (when there is no sour smell)… dead not in a gross foul way, but in a no-sexual-excitement kind of way. Plus i have no way of knowing when my body with spurt another little teaspoon of this very watery sour discharge. My new sour smell lacks sexual appeal. I'm worried i'm going through early menopause and will never be how I was in the past. I've read when you go through menopause, the taste and smell down there get's very 'strong' … I'm only 35... andmany of you are so much younger than me even… I'm confused. I want ANSWERS!! I'm often in tears and have become very depressed about this. I am very healthy... lots of fresh vegetables and no coffee... barely any dairy... no garlic or onions either (which is a shame, because they can be very healthy)

I recall, in the past… when all was OK down there…i would occasionally… very rarely… get suddenly what i thought was a very oniony smell down there. But never remembered whether i'd just chopped onions recently and couldn't tell if it was from my fingers or my actual discharge. i think it was the discharge, but it only happened very rarely.

Is my body shutting down and going through menopause because i'm not having sex? sometimes i worry i will cause that to happen.

I love sex. I want it. I want to feel free and happy and clean and sexually confident. I'm finally single and ready for a sexually fulfilling relationship with someone, and have ZERO confidence to do so. I don't know what to do.

This thread has given me hope that maybe i will find a cure/resolution, and get back to my normal self. I'm gonna try the pre-seed lube.

It's telling that several of us have this issue post-Flagyl/antibiotics!!!

Also:

- I am NOT on any birth control or other medication.
      - I do not have any burning or itching.

Based on all these theories, i wonder if i have Cytolytic Vaginosis, and if i should STOP taking the priobiotics - are they making it worse? Feeding the already-too-much good bacteria?

I wonder about flax seed oil too, which i have in all my smoothies… it has something to do with estrogen levels… i wonder if it's all related?

I have no health insurance… i live i n the US… it costs me $150 every time i go to the doctor, who's not even a gyno.

I'd take a loan out of $10000's if i could fix this issue though… I just don't know where to start.

THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY VENT… just thought i'd share, in case we together, can build a better picture.

(If i get anywhere, or make any progress, i promise to come back and report it here... i will be very grateful for any of you who do teh same... even years later)

Comment

• After spending a looooot of time and money trying to figure out what it was this vaginal discharge I've had for about 8 years I resorted to praying, which I really did. I prayed to Mons. Álvaro del Portillo, a Catholic priest that is to become a saint to help me out in this, asking for a miracle. Then I let go. About a month later, me and my family were out of town renting a cabaña and this woman started to talk to my husband in the street, downstairs from our cabin. I thought she was asking him for directions and went upstairs. About half an hour later, since they were still talking I told the woman to come up with us and have a cup of tea. Long story short, she was a nurse who worked for a fertility doctor who she told me had helped a patient with a slash in her uterus that changed her vaginal ph.
        I wrote down his name and went to see him when we came back. He just operated on me (histeroscopy) last Tuesday. He told me I had bad scarring of the uterus and he took away what was causing the discharge and now I'm OK, no discharge whatsoever, no foul smell, nothing. I still cannot believe this awful thing has gone away. He even told me I can get pregnant again. The only thing I can say is THANK God.

Comment

• And I hope this can help someone else going through this same ordeal. With an ultrasound of my uterus he was able to see what nobody else could and to diagnose what was causing the problem. It was pretty scary. He used general anestesia for the surgery, but everything went well, fortunately.

Comment

• After years trying to solve this problem on my own the person I needed was sent to my doorstep to help me. I am still in shock.

Comment

• I suffered for 4 years! I went to Planned Parenthood so many times they practically threw me out because they did not know how to treat cytolitic vaginosis. After suffering for so long, I finally tried preseed and for the first time after so many years, I have not had any symptoms of CV! I wanted to pay it forward. For anyone suffering from CV, try preseed, it works!!!!!

Comment

• Looks like this hasn't been posted on in a while, but I cannot tell you how grateful I am that I found it. Never knew what I had or what cytolytic vaginosis was until reading this. Like everyone, I have been to numerous doctors, none of whom had heard of this condition, and even after I explained it, still didn't think it was real.
                It all started, I believe, with being overtreated with diflucan and florajen (a lactobacillus probiotic) for a yeast infection, which I do believe I had. For about a month I went to numerous doctors, complaining of internal burning, discomfort and a pasty white discharge. All tests have come back negative for everything. I was besides myself, depressed, passively suicidal, sobbing throughout the day at my desk and then at home at night. It wasn't until I came across this forum that I was able to try and figure somethings out. I have been doing the following treatment for only 2 days and I feel 90% better.
                Supplments- which can be found at any grocery store, i only take the daily recommended amount:
                calcium
                iron
                magnesium
                potassium

i am also currently on augmentin in an effort to kill some of the good bacteria- I am unsure how effective this actually is, and I have also used the preseed a couple nights- I am also unsure how effective this is. I did try baking soda baths a couple times- I could just tell longterm I don't think that was going to be the solution. But the last couple mornings I have taken all these supplements and I feel great, again this is only the second day, and something that was bothering me for a month is now almost fully gone. If there are any major changes I will provide an update, but I am sticking with this routine for now.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X