Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had a hysterectomy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello,

I've already had a hysterectomy, however I'm still very curious about it and I wanted to share my experience with others.

My story is...

I'm 22 yrs old and a mother to four beautiful children. When I was pregnant with my second child I was told that I had a abnormal pap smear and that I had pre-cervical cancer. I never thought much of it. I was also told that I had a cyst in my right ovary. A calcoscopy was performed and was told that the cells weren't growing. So basically all I knew was that I had HPV and some pre-cancerous cells were forming. I had my son, the pregnancy was easy. I had 2 more pregnancies after him, and all were successful. Before my last son was conceived I had a cervical biopsy, Results came back mild. But as I was gonna get treated for the pre cancerous cells. The pregnancy was discovered. I ended up with a emergency c-section due to placenta abruptia. The cause is unknown. As soon as I was stitched up. (bikini cut was what I wanted) The blood just wouldn't stop flowing. I was dying and lost over 1,000 cc of blood. I had a blood transfusion and an hour after my c-section. I was under the knife having my uterus removed. My ovaries, fallopian tubes, and cervix were left in place. I was 20 yrs old at the time. After all that, I was in terrible pain, I was cut twice. Vertically and horizontally. So you could imagine the DOUBLE pain I was feeling. It was horrible. I would never wish this pain on anyone. Anyway, I recovered and went about my life with no complications. It wasn't till my next pap smear that I started to receive treatment for the pre cancerous cells in my cervix. I would see the dr. every week had have the cells burned. It was painful and irritating. I gave up, tired of suffering, I stopped going to my appts. A year passed and one day, while showering I placed a finger in my vagina to clean it and a small blood covered thing was on my finger. It looked a little like salmon roe. With pink streaks of blood. I was terrified that something was wrong. The next day I went to see the dr. and had a pap smear done. A week later I get a call to come back and see him as soon as possible. So I go, I was told the cells have grown and immediate action needs to be taken. I was schedule for a hysterectomy AGAIN! This time was just to remove my cervix, since my uterus was removed after the birth of my son. The dr. said something about having a HIGH GRADE SIL. I don't know what that means. But I didn't care. All I thought was if this gonna prevent this thing from turing into cancer, then a another hysterectomy is neccessary! The dr. told me that if I don't have it soon, within a matter of months it would be cancer and given that I don't have a uterus it would spread dramatically to the rest of my body. So it was set. My hysterectomy was done on August 07, 2008. I'm still recovering and still very much in pain. Now, I also have a cold so all the coughing and sneezing, is really putting strain on my incision and caused me to spot again. The spotting stopped a few days after the surgery, but returned when I started moving around more and trying to chase my sons around the house. I'm a very sexual person so, I also tried to see if having my cervix removed would affect that part of my life. I tried being intimate and found that vaginal dryness is a problem. However, I refrained from sexual penetration. Given that the top of my vagina hasn't healed yet. It's been two weeks now and my incision is healing nicely but my insides still a feel a bit brused. I'm walking more often but after awhile I feel tired. Anyway..

My sex drive hasn't changed, I'm still very driven for it and, I made a alittle mistake last night and had sexual penetration. After that I was terrified to find that I was bleeding. I know that the top of my vagina hasn't quite healed and now I'm worried. My dr. constantly told me that things I do could make my insides fall out though my vaginal. I'm curious if that is really possible. I'm worried that my actions last night could've caused some damage to the top of my vagina. Before last night, I was using pantyliners to catch the spotting, now I upgraded to actual pads.

I know, I should've waited but I'm only human.

Comment

• Originally posted by tae View Post
      Hello,

I've already had a hysterectomy, however I'm still very curious about it and I wanted to share my experience with others.

My story is...

I'm 22 yrs old and a mother to four beautiful children. When I was pregnant with my second child I was told that I had a abnormal pap smear and that I had pre-cervical cancer. I never thought much of it. I was also told that I had a cyst in my right ovary. A calcoscopy was performed and was told that the cells weren't growing. So basically all I knew was that I had HPV and some pre-cancerous cells were forming. I had my son, the pregnancy was easy. I had 2 more pregnancies after him, and all were successful. Before my last son was conceived I had a cervical biopsy, Results came back mild. But as I was gonna get treated for the pre cancerous cells. The pregnancy was discovered. I ended up with a emergency c-section due to placenta abruptia. The cause is unknown. As soon as I was stitched up. (bikini cut was what I wanted) The blood just wouldn't stop flowing. I was dying and lost over 1,000 cc of blood. I had a blood transfusion and an hour after my c-section. I was under the knife having my uterus removed. My ovaries, fallopian tubes, and cervix were left in place. I was 20 yrs old at the time. After all that, I was in terrible pain, I was cut twice. Vertically and horizontally. So you could imagine the DOUBLE pain I was feeling. It was horrible. I would never wish this pain on anyone. Anyway, I recovered and went about my life with no complications. It wasn't till my next pap smear that I started to receive treatment for the pre cancerous cells in my cervix. I would see the dr. every week had have the cells burned. It was painful and irritating. I gave up, tired of suffering, I stopped going to my appts. A year passed and one day, while showering I placed a finger in my vagina to clean it and a small blood covered thing was on my finger. It looked a little like salmon roe. With pink streaks of blood. I was terrified that something was wrong. The next day I went to see the dr. and had a pap smear done. A week later I get a call to come back and see him as soon as possible. So I go, I was told the cells have grown and immediate action needs to be taken. I was schedule for a hysterectomy AGAIN! This time was just to remove my cervix, since my uterus was removed after the birth of my son. The dr. said something about having a HIGH GRADE SIL. I don't know what that means. But I didn't care. All I thought was if this gonna prevent this thing from turing into cancer, then a another hysterectomy is neccessary! The dr. told me that if I don't have it soon, within a matter of months it would be cancer and given that I don't have a uterus it would spread dramatically to the rest of my body. So it was set. My hysterectomy was done on August 07, 2008. I'm still recovering and still very much in pain. Now, I also have a cold so all the coughing and sneezing, is really putting strain on my incision and caused me to spot again. The spotting stopped a few days after the surgery, but returned when I started moving around more and trying to chase my sons around the house. I'm a very sexual person so, I also tried to see if having my cervix removed would affect that part of my life. I tried being intimate and found that vaginal dryness is a problem. However, I refrained from sexual penetration. Given that the top of my vagina hasn't healed yet. It's been two weeks now and my incision is healing nicely but my insides still a feel a bit brused. I'm walking more often but after awhile I feel tired. Anyway..

My sex drive hasn't changed, I'm still very driven for it and, I made a alittle mistake last night and had sexual penetration. After that I was terrified to find that I was bleeding. I know that the top of my vagina hasn't quite healed and now I'm worried. My dr. constantly told me that things I do could make my insides fall out though my vaginal. I'm curious if that is really possible. I'm worried that my actions last night could've caused some damage to the top of my vagina. Before last night, I was using pantyliners to catch the spotting, now I upgraded to actual pads.

I know, I should've waited but I'm only human.
      Yes, you are human as I am human but in circumstances such as this you MUST hold back...I, like you, had all of this done...However, they also took my ovaries which made it easier for me as I did not have the sexual cravings that you do at this time...I had to again find myself......

Your doctor is right...You have done damage and probably your insides could fall through...You must get back to him...You must remember that you have no uterus so this bleeding you are seeing is from the damage that you have done through penetration...The pad may be satisfactory in your mind until the flow stops but the damage IS DONE and must be looked at and possibly repaired....I know with us I had to wait for 6 weeks...Looking back I can recall that I waited...A friend of mine had this done and her cervix did not heal properly and they had to cauterize it...This was painful and I remembered this so believe me I waited...Years ago they took both the cervix out with the uterus...Times have changed and this is no longer approached this way...I am a novice in the medical field so here I will put on the brakes.....

Please have this taken care of...You are playing with a burning fire....Much luck...

Caroline

Comment

• My mom had a hysterectomy

My mom had a hysterectomy around ten weeks ago.They did it through the vagina,rather then cut her across the tummy.She had a severe prolapse and her bowel was attaching itself to her uterus.She had some back pain afterwards,but she was up and about quicker than I thought she would be.

W.Flower

Comment

• Just had surgery

Im 27 and just had a total abdominal hysterectomy. I have always had irregular periods but im stubborn and have only been to the lady dr twice in my life. I did the exam before college newly 18 yrs old and never went back until this past September. I only went back because things got real bad. I started my period about July 1st and it never stopped. I bled everyday some days much worse than others. I was tired and in pain so i gave in and made an appointment. I had an exam, then an endometrial ultra sound, and blood work done. The ultrasound showed an extremely think uterine lining and a fibroid about 3cm large. At that point the dr thought it was polycystic ovary syndrome but my blood work disproved that theory. So they decieded to biopsy the lining (if you hace to do this take motrin first and have a pad handy, things my dr difnt tell me till i was in the stir-ups ). That came back as grade 2 endometrial cancer, something that is very unusual in women under 40. They did an MRI to see is a hormone therapy was an option for treatment. unfortunately the results came back less pretty then the surgeon would have liked so he said a full hysterectomy was needed. I had the surgery on Nov 7th and I've been home recovering since then. I had so little time from diagnosis and prognosis that i haven't had time to process everything. recovery after surgery wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. I had an epidural put in (which i highly recommend), got a UTI from the catheter (which they got right away so it wasn't bad), got my staples out 9 days after, and only 1 little complication that was more of a bother really. Less than 2 weeks after surgery, I found out that they got everything and i am cancer free which is wonderful but im also baby-maker free and that makes me so...well just sad and empty. Its not like i was looking to have kids now ( i still feel like a kid myself) but i have always loved kids and talked about how badly i want them. Since the surgery i have not really let myself think about the aftermath of a hysterectomy because anytime i do, i fall apart. Im 27 and in menopause! Hot flashes, fatigue, night sweets and all! Anyone have any coping skills to share? oh and as far as those hot flashes go, I'm on Lexepro which is a mild antidepressant but it also controls hot flashes! its wonderful!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X