Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17, and I think I might have PCOS.

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17, and I think I might have PCOS.

Hi! So this is my delurking thread I suppose. I've been reading the forums for a while now, and I though maybe somebody here could help me.

I think I might have PCOS, but I'm not entirely sure....
    • I have NEVER had my period.
    • I'm really overweight, and I have been trying to lose weight to no avail since I was 10 years old!
    • I always have acne, no matter what I do. I've tried proactive, but that doesn't even really help me.
    • I have the dark body hair all over, like on my face, and stomach and back.
    • I have had an unusually high sex drive since I was 12 years... which is a little bit weird I think... especially considering I didn't really even know much about sex then. (I'm thinking that has to do with higher testosterone levels)
    • I'm really moody. Like extreme mood swings. All the time. O.o People I know have kind of learned to deal with it, but I don't like putting them through that.

All of this has caused me so many problems... I've abused laxatives, and tried fasting to try and control my weight. I've cut myself in the past, because I've hated myself so much.(I have scars all over my body ) I can't even leave my house, because I'm so afraid of being around people. I'm so disgusting.

I recently heard about PCOS, and I'm really wondering if I have it... It would be a huge relief to think that this isn't all my fault. (unless of course I did something to cause the PCOS ) Do you think I should I try DR about this? Is there anything they can really do to fix me? I don't ever want to have kids, so I'm not worried about that part at all, It's just all of these physical symptoms I've been suffering with.

Okay that's all I guess. I'm sorry if this is too long, or if this isn't even the right place to put this... I just don't know what else to do...
    Last edited by Angelsong; 03-31-2011, 08:15 PM. Reason: Fixing the smiley faces...

• Hon go to the doctor and get some tests done. Sounds like, if it's not PCOS, then it's something else that a doctor could diagnose, explain to you, and begin to treat.

Comment

• Thank you. I've asked my mom, and she said she'd make ma an appointment. Oh and I'm actually only 16, guess that was a typo. I really hope this is something that can be fixed!

Comment

• Don't forget to talk to the doctor about your struggles with depression, too. Get help if you ever feel so negatively about yourself that you feel the need to hurt yourself. You will not always feel how you do now, so don't ever do anything rash. Things change all the time, and they get better honey. Honestly, they do. You're at the hardest age for a girl, so things might seem awful, you might feel awkward and ugly, but so does every other girl your age, even the super thin cheerleaders. Just be careful and get help for your depression.

Comment

• Hi there, I was diagnosed with PCOS myself at 18 (I am 34 now). I went to the doctor as I never got my period either and had bad acne. They did some blood tests and an ultrasound and confirmed that it was PCOS. Go see the doctor, it is pretty simple to get diagnosed and they can put you on meds to help with all your symptoms. My acne cleared up after a couple months of meds and it was so great, I finally had confidence. Also, don't worry about teh future and having kids etc.... Please be assured that I had very severe PCOS and have still managed to have 2 beautiful children albeit with a little help from medicine. Take care and I hope you find out soon.

Comment

• PS. Depression is also a symptom of PCOS and you can get help for that as well. It happened to me xx

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X