Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a yeast infection or something more?? :(

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a yeast infection or something more?? :(

Hi there. Lately I've been having some symptoms but I'm not sure if this is a yeast infection or if it could be something else. I've been having a pale yellow-ish white discharge. Some days it's thick and other days it's really thin and watery. Also, I've been itchy down there, mostly on my labia minora. But the itchiness isn't always there, sometimes it itches a LOT and other times it doesn't feel irritated at all. My labia (and sometimes vulva) will also look a little bit red and swollen when it's itchy. Also, the skin on my labia minora will sometimes get very dry and in fact it gets so dry sometimes that the skin will start to crack and bleed like chapped hands would. I've been looking up these symptoms online and it seems like this could be anything from a yeast infection to an STD. I did have unprotected sex a couple months ago, but I went to Planned Parenthood 3 weeks back and got tested and I was negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. So I'm wondering if this is just a yeast infection? I'm worried it could possibly be herpes or HPV, because a lot of the info I'm pulling up says that's what it could be.. But I don't have any sores or blisters in my vaginal area. Also, the symptoms (itchiness and redness) are usually the most severe/noticeable after I masturbate... I wouldn't classify it as being "painful" down there, just itchy and irritated. I haven't had sex since a couple months back. I also saw that birth control can cause this, but I've been on the same one for over 2 years so that can't be what's causing this. I have my yearly check-up with my gyno in a month and I can't get in any earlier than that to get checked on. Do my symptoms match those of a yeast infection? Also, what kind of products would be good for the dryness and itchiness? I don't want to put something down there that will irritate it even more

• When you have discharge like that, it is generally an infection of some kind. If you got tested for STD's and that came back negative, that's good. It wouldn't hurt to treat it as a yeast infection. Go buy something OTC ie Monistat 3-day or something, use it to see if it helps. If it does, great. If not, go back in and see if they can't treat you with something, either at PP or at your gyno when you go.

But, yes, it does sound like a yeast infection to me.

Comment

• I took the monistat 3-day (suppositories) and finished the last one two nights ago.. And I still have a discharge and a little bit of itching. Taking the monistat hasn't made too much difference. The discharge doesn't have an odor, and it seems like the amount of discharge is much less than it was before... so does that mean the Monistat is working? How many days does it take for the infection to clear up? Or since I'm still having a discharge and a little bit of itchiness does that mean that it wasn't a yeast infection and it is something else? I'm getting scared now, I thought for sure it was a yeast infection. It's not an STD because I already got tested and the results were negative, I don't think it was a yeast infection because the monistat hasn't worked yet, so what is this? Also, after wondering if it was herpes I contacted both the guys I've ever had sex with and they said that they both know they are clear of herpes and STDs (they've been tested). And I have had the Gardasil shot, so HPV is highly unlikely. So now I'm left wondering what is this???

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X