Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hpv??? Cervical cancer??? Please help.

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hpv??? Cervical cancer??? Please help.

So, I recently noticed a growth inside my vagina (cervix) that is not painful. I tried to examine it with a mirror and it seems to have a white color. I am TERRIFIED that this could be HPV or worse, cancer. I have an appointment with a nurse practitioner next week, but I am driving myself insane with worry. Please let me know any information. I had a boyfriend for several years, but I recently found out that he cheated on me very frequently, so this does put me at a risk. Please, please, please tell me I'm overreacting.

• A growth is often a thing called a benign cyst. Basically a clump of tissue that decided to grow. A new bump does not equate cancer. A cheating bf brings up more worry of any disease he may have caught and kept quiet about. A meeting with the practitioner can give you a swab and check for anything that may be there. Things are more worrysome as the practitioner will say when things get sore, red, , just generally not looking all that great. Other than that we can all have random growths for no apparently reason.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Thank you so much for your input. I am hoping that I am just assuming the worst, but everything I read confirms how common HPV is. And I can only imagine how rampant it is on a college campus, plus an unfaithful boyfriend. I really just want to make sure everything is okay since I am seeing someone new and of course don't want to infect him with anything. Say that it IS just a cyst...will it go away on its own or will I need medication?

Comment

• Say that it IS just a cyst...will it go away on its own or will I need medication?
        Some go away on its own. Some the doctor will say just leave it nothing is going to happen, some will want to remove it for further testing. A professional will give their opinion on it. They are very often nothing to worry about at all. The time to worry is when they get bigger, or sore, or red, or full of puss. And growing does not happen immediately. They are talking about monitoring it and if it suddenly doubles in size then go back in for a checkup. It does not mean check every half hour to see if it is different...that is too much worry.
        There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• I agree, it does sound like something closer to a cyst.

Keep in mind also, before jumping to assumptions about HPV automatically meaning cervical cancer/genital warts... nearly every sexually active woman has or will contract HPV at some point in their lives. There are so many different strains of it and a lot of them do go away on their own, before the woman even is aware she had it. As far as I know there's no test guys can have done to see if they are carrying it.. and unless they show signs of genital warts, have no idea they even have it.

Comment

• Thank you both for your input. I feel much more levelheaded now. I did know there were tons of different strains of HPV, some of which are considered 'high risk' for cancer, and others that are 'low risk' and go away on their own. But of course, a growth of any sort is alarming, and it is better to be safe than sorry. Especially since I have not been tested since have unprotected sex with the cheating boyfriend.

I know I keep saying it, but I can't thank you both enough for your speedy input. I let worry turn into overreaction.
            Last edited by sammyluwho; 04-25-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X