Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chronic bacterial vaginosis

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay....

I posted on here a while ago, and didn't get much response, but I have some new questions...

What is the difference between a vaginal douche and a vaginal wash? If someone knows...could she or he please describe in detail?

Second...what do you do about your sex life when you have bv? Do you...just stop having sex? Do you never have oral sex again? Or...what? I really don't want to give up sex for the next however long. I've had BV for three months now and the 4 or 5 courses of meds I've been given have not made the slightest impact whatsoever. It looks like I'm stuck with a battle on my hands, and I'm getting a bit depressed about not being able to have sex with my boyfriend.

Shouldn't my symptopms clear up at least a little after medication? I find that there's really no change, but I've had two medical opinions and they both said it was BV, and the symptoms fit, and I don't have any STDs (I've been checked for everything, most things twice). I bought all cotton underwear, have been taking acidophalus, tried metrogel, clinesse, and flagyll...even went off birth control to see if that would help.

Grrr....I really want some good news.

How do you deal with this in your relationships? What do you tell your partner? How do you deal with the depression?

Comment

• I found a 'somewhat' cure!

I am so happy to find this Forum and find that I am not the only one going thru this horror. I have been married for 15 years, I am 40 years old, same and only sex partner for almost 20 years...and for the last year I have had almost constant BV. Same story as most of you - it gets better for maybe a few days after taking Flagyl, always comes back a the end of my period and within about 24 hours after having sex. My symptoms include lots of swelling - my pee comes out really slowly I get so swollen. And it seems to make my bladder hurt - I have to get up and go to the bathroom 2 or 3 times in the night. I have been tested for bladder infections - it is never that, it is always BV. And of course the pain, irritation, and smell. As for the emotional side - at times it is very depressing, as it has impacted our sex life, which is an important part of our marriage. I tell him just the basics, but I know it is so "un romantic" - I try to avoid the subject. He has been treated too but that didn't fix the problem. We used condoms for a couple of months which helped but didn't fix the problem. Now for the good news...my doctor has had me try using Boric Acid suppositories. You have to find a pharmacy that does compounding - it requires a prescription but insurance won't pay for it and it is expensive!. They are messy which I hated at first, but they work! You have to keep using them pretty constantly though. They provide a mild antiseptic which prohibits the bacteria from growing. I use them two or three nights in a row right after my period and I feel great. I also use them after sex and this usually does the trick. Whenever I feel the telltale signs I use one. Most of the time I am pretty symptom free - but I still manage to somehow end up with one by not staying on top of it, and when I do I get really depressed. Oh and I found some boric acid suppositories on the internet and tried them - but they have added herbs to them which feels like gritty sand in your vagina - OUCH - can't do those. Ask your doctor about boric acid suppositories!

Comment

• wash vs douche

This is in response to "what exactly is a vaginal wash". Take a 30 cc syringe, draw up that amount of what ever you decide to use, insert into vagina about an inch and slowly push the plunger. This allows the fluid to coat the vaginal wall without forcing anything farther up. I have read that the "good bacteria" that we have in there produces h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide), and we (with this problem) don't have enough "good bacteria" up there, so I have been using h2o2 as a vaginal wash.
        I have tried so many things - nothing seems to totally cure it - except for a divorce/no sex. I use this wash for a few days after my period, and after sex. It has helped greatly and my step mother who is a nurse believes that this will not harm me in any way. So I have come to realization that I may be doing this for the rest of my life - but it's so easy and cheap. It's just another part of my "beauty routine", just like brushing my teeth and putting makeup on!
        Good luck

Comment

• bv

I am trying a small dose of colloidal silver, which I had heard may be beneficial to treat this condition, although not to be used long term. Just wanted to let anyone know that may want to try an alternative approach.
          I am on my second tube of clinesse for the first bout with this disorder so I figured I would try an additional approach. I am also trying some flax oil along with acidopholus and a good multi vitamin

Comment

• The best advice I found was in "The V Book" everything was explained and many suggestions

Comment

• HELP!!!!!

I am too dealing with this for going on 3 years now I have tried everything. I am also trying to get pregnant but cannot. I am assuming it is because the sperm cannot live in that environment. It is depressing . I don't know what else to do someone please come up with a remedy. Has anyone else gotten pregnant while dealing with this chronic BV or am I doomed forever.

Comment

• remedy

My theory is that your body and immune system is not functioning correctly to be experiencing this disorder chronically. This is my first bout with this, and hopefully it will be the last, I just stumpled on this forum. I do have an appointment with a homeopathic doctor in March to test the ph levels in my body because I want to make **** sure this doesn't come back. I am currently taking acidopholus, a good multi vitamin, flax oil, I was on colloidal silver but you should only take that for a LIMITED time, and I am going today to see about some probiotics.

Comment

• Fed up with BV!!!

I have suffered from BV for about 8 years know, but it just began to become "chronic". I have tried Clindeese, and I felt that it was a miracle drug until my problem occurred 3weeks later! Well I am a clean freak when it comes to my vagina. I have now come to realize that Sperm is causing my recurring issue. I have a new partner and I am now getting BV alomost after every session of intercourse. If anyone knows what can be done about this please HHEELLPP!! I read that Sperm changes the pH in the vagina..

Comment

• medical doctors

It amazes me that after what I read that the medical doctors never address the underlying cause of this condition. After reading about it, I have become more familiar that the nature of it- disruption in the bowel flora. Shortly after my bout with bv, my doc prescribed an anti-fungal med for what she thought (over the phone no less) was a yeast infection. My symptoms reoccured

I read that yeast infections will continue to reoccur if your bowel flora is off and/or you have a suppressed immune system.
                    I took it upon myself to go the naturopathic route, and bought a yeast/fungi detox and probiotics and am feeling great now. I do think I had a yeast infection after the two tubes of clindesse I took for the bv.

I think it is important to be on probiotics if you have either condition atleast to establish some health back in your flora, I think I will be on them for awhile.

Comment

• In the same boat

I have been having the odor prob since I had my last child ( now 11 mos old) after every period I have an odor. I just use the metro gel and it clears up. I also use the nuva ring (4 mos now) and I read on another thread that I may be causing the BV by adjusting my ring without washing my hands first. I always wash my hands after!!!! The metro gel always works but it seems like your body would grow dependant on the meds, ya know!?! Why is this so comon?

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Is there something wrong with me?

Like everyone else just pointed out before me, there is nothing wrong with you. NEVER EVER blame yourself for something like this.
                        You were just...

Yesterday, 09:07 AM By Mo
                      • Reply to Making everyday routine joyful

This could be a lot of fun, but I could never do this at work. I could do this with texts from he BF, set only to work only at certain times. I'd especially...

07-04-2022, 06:16 PM By atskitty2
                      • Reply to Does lube actually help you?

Lube definitely helps me! I love using it with sex toys and partners alike and always finds that it only enhances my experience!

07-04-2022, 10:27 AM By Zoë T.

I'm not the best multitasker and personally like to devote all of my energy and mind towards one thing at a time. So using a sex toy during work or zoom...

07-04-2022, 10:22 AM By Zoë T.

One thing about work is that you are being paid for your work which to me means you should be focused on work when you are being paid to perform it (and...

07-03-2022, 10:29 PM By jns

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                      X