Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painful Sex - Exhausted All Options??

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painful Sex - Exhausted All Options??

Hi, all!

I'll try to make this as short as possible, but I want to give a medical history and hopefully find some ladies that have undergone or are undergoing a similar issue.
    In short, sex is painful. Not excruciatingly painful like it used to be, thanks to some of the treatments I'll list below, but still not enjoyable.
    I'll begin by saying I'm currently 26 years old and married.

Symptoms:
    Primarily excruciating burning/tearing pain at the "entrance" to the vagina (vulva, I suppose)
    "Entrance pain" has gotten better (see below) but now have "deep thrust" pain (note, my husband is actually on the small side)

Gynecological Treatments and Diagnoses:
    - Menstrual cycle began around age 11
    - Mentstrual cycle was very irregular - started birth control around age 13 (mostly Yaz, have tried a few others and gone back to Yaz)
    - Could not insert tampon until about age 15
    - Became sexually active at age 17 (2 partners in lifetime; married now) - has always been uncomfortable, has gotten worse and worse
    - Never had a sex drive, really
    - First sought help for painful intercourse around age 23
    1st doctor: No diagnosis but prescribed steroid cream - no difference. Stopped using.
    2nd doctor: Diagnosed Vulvar Vestibulitis, prescribed Lidocaine cream. Apply before sex to numb the area. Burns to apply and just numbs it so sex is still not enjoyable. Stopped using. Was told if that didn't work, the next step would be surgical removal of the "extra skin" around the vulva (a pretty standard procedure for vulvar vestibulitis, I understand, but you're down and out for a while)
    Current doctor: KCl test for IC came back negative. Doctor still treated for IC. Gave me IC diet plan and wanted me to follow it (how do people that?!?! That is strict!!). Had about 5 Elmiron instillations with no effect. I really don't think I have IC.
    - Had vaginal ultrasound and saw mild Pelvic Congestion Syndrome. Prescribed Progesterone - no change. Went off birth control to use Progesterone. Face is breaking out and I can't stand it!! Want to get back on birth control -- bad idea??
    - Prescribed topical gel of Gabapentin/amitryl/lidocaine/testosterone. Very painful (burns) to apply. No noted change.
    - Sent to gastroenterologist. Thought I might have mild IBS and put me on dicyclomine. Don't take it very often. Once every few weeks.
    - Sent to women's physical therapist. Did vaginal muscle relaxation technique. Was told I had Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/very tense pelvic floor muscles. Did a lot to work those out. I'm not really doing anything at home now and no longer in PT (that was about 2 months ago). I think that helped a lot.
    - Currently taking compounded suppository of cyclobenzaprine, diazepam, lidocaine. Helps a lot. Pretty much can't have sex without it, but have to take it about 45 minutes prior to sex - it's just not fun having to "plan" sex like that.
    - On my own, I have eliminated all known parabens from lotions, detergents, makeup, etc.

NOW:
    Current doctor says the next step is going to be exploratory surgery to see what may be going on, especially for pelvic pain. He thinks vestibulectomy is not needed and that my pain is more muscular. I'm still not sure I'm entirely convinced about that. Definite relief from physical therapy and muscle relaxant suppository, but I don't think we can rule out vulvar vestibulitis. He wants to investigate potential for endometriosis. I don't think I have that. I understand that endometriosis is very painful pelvic pain, which I do not have. The only pelvic pain I have is during intercourse in certain positions and at "deep thrust". As far as entrance pain, it's okay if he's going slow, but if he goes fast, it's painful (burning). Just not enjoyable. I can't climax. It's almost like just waiting for him to climax. :-\

Other notable medical history:
    - Salmonella poisoning when I was 4
    - Chicken Pox when I was 5
    - Cat Scratch Fever when I was 7
    - Scoliosis (mild, diagnosed around 13 - was told it wasn't bad enough to treat, kind of left it at that)
    - Immature Autonomic Nervous System (around age 18 - body wasn't regulating heart correctly - weaned off of Metoprolol after about 4 years)
    - Depression
    - Anxiety Disorder
    - Eating Disorder
    - OCD
    - Had cervical cancer prevention series of shots (can't remember what they're called)
    - Have always had clear pap smears
    - Have had several series of bacterial infections; get sick a good bit
    - Have trouble breathing sometimes (like I cannot get enough air in my lungs)
    - Cough up mucus A LOT
    - Had an incident of severe acid reflux when I was about 17 (could not eat anything) - was diagnosed with GERD...not currenlty treating that in any way

I understand doctors on this forum are probably few are far between :-) I'm just looking for other women that may have had similar situations and what might have worked for them. Also maybe a little more insight on Pelvic Congestion Syndrome and Endometriosis. Do I HAVE to be on Progesterone for PCS? And how likely is it that I have Endometriosis, given my symptoms?
    Last edited by prima_ballerina; 11-05-2014, 01:43 PM.
or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to LIES

amy40 I'm curious how you can tell they're lying and know this with any degree of certainty?...

08-03-2020, 01:37 PM By atskitty2
  • Reply to LIES

I don't tend to lie as such: but I will tactfully tell the truth/bend the truth, so as to not hurt the other person's feelings. Sometimes you HAVE to...

08-03-2020, 09:05 AM By Popcorn&Candy
  • Reply to LIES

I'm an open book person & feel compelled to "confess" things to husband like if I think some man I saw is good-looking, lol

08-02-2020, 10:23 AM By amy40
  • Reply to Have You Heard Of An Amicable Divorce? Let's Discuss.

I agree 100%. I wished many times that my parents had just divorced and moved on. I think my mother would be miserable regardless, but I think Dad could...

08-02-2020, 04:22 AM By atskitty2
  • Reply to Pre Mature Ejaculation problem

Welcome to Women's Health Interactive Forums. Could you go into the details a bit more? Not just the physical aspects but also how you relate to each...

07-30-2020, 03:44 PM By jns

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
X