Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried about PCOS

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about PCOS

Hey, so I'm Nat, I'm 20 years old, and I have always suffered from very irregular periods. When I was younger I would have a very heavy period for a minimum of 6 weeks and would only have two periods a year. About 4 years ago I was put on the pill for this reason, and have changed for the third time recently as I spoke to my GP about bleeding for about two weeks in between periods (I was tricycling the pill at this point) and am not constantly bleeding in between them.

When my sister was my age (she's now 22) she was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and my mam potentially has the same syndrome though has never been formally diagnosed.
    I know that it can run in families and am worried about the potential that I have it.
    I have always had problems with my weight, trouble losing and keeping off weight.
    I also have a mood disorder which (hasn't formally been diagnosed as of yet, seeing a psychiatrist very soon) is potentially on the bipolar spectrum. But I have always been very insecure and suffered from low self esteem and general anxiety.

I just wanted to know if I'm worrying over nothing. I'm going to see my gp on Monday and will mention my anxieties to her but I wanted to know if anyone has any insight from a sufferers point of view or from experience.

Thanks in advance!

• Hi Nat! welcome to WHF! We're so glad you joined us! Sorry to hear you're struggling with multiple issues with your health at the moment.

I don't have a lot to share, by experience. it seems like you're doing your best to be properly diagnosed and treated appropriately, that's the start. Addressing your ongoing weight issues can begin then also.

Hang in there kiddo. Patience and persistence with your medical team will be needed. The types of issues you describe can often take awhile to sort out and see improvement. Be prepared for what could be a lengthy process.

Comment

• My wife has had issues with this on and off since we were teenagers. We're 41 now.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X