Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacterial Vaginosis/Metrogel/Sex Question

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacterial Vaginosis/Metrogel/Sex Question

I was recently diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis [first time ever] and given a prescription for Metrogel. My question is this... the night before I received the results of the culture [I thought it was a yeast infection because I was red, slightly itchy and swollen so they cultured me to make sure] because I had already taken Diflucan and also the Monistat 1 day ovule [the Monistat severly messed me up, my doctor said it should be taken off the selfs because it is way too strong]. Sorry I got carried away... Anyways, the night before I received my results I had sex with my ex-boyfriend [of 5 years] who I haven't been with for several months. I never had any irritation or yeast/bacterial infections ever, until being with a new partner who I just recently broke up with [I always felt irritated in some way down there after being with him]. I am almost positive that being with him is what started causing me problems. About 2 months ago I was told that I had a really bad yeast infection after being cultured. All these problems began when we [me and the new guy] started having sex. He [the new guy who I just broke up with!] sweats ALOT and always seemed to have a sweaty/? odor on him even after showering. He also shaved down there and always felt stubbly and had ingrown hairs. I figured his stubble was tearing me up inside and then his sweat and who knows what else he had on his skin just messed me up inside. Could I be right? I am afraid that I could have passed this bacterial infection to my ex-boyfriend [who I never had any problems/irritations from]. Is it at all possible that I could have passed this bacterial infection to him after just one night of sex? I know I shouldn?t have even done it because of how bad I felt down there, but I missed him so much I figured I would just suffer through it. I hope this question makes since. I have had problems ever since being with the new guy, but NEVER from my ex. I am just so worried that now I may have given this bacteria to my ex [who I am getting back with ]. I am also scared that if I did he will give it back to me the next time we have sex and it will just keep getting passed back and forth. My #1 concern though is that I passed it to him. I am miserable with this infection and don't feel like I will ever be normal again. I am sure that using the Monistat only made things worse! Please give me some advice. Just so you know, I was tested for all STD?s and all tests came back negative. I just had a bad yeast infection and now a bad bacterial infection. In-between these 2 infectins I always felt slight irritation afterwards though. It?s like he kept irritating me down there and when my body had had enough it turned into a full blown yeast/bacterial infection. Please help! One more thing... Have any of you had good results with the Metrogel vaginal? I am on day 3 [I take it 2x/day] and I still feel pretty much the same. Maybe a little better, but not sure if the gel is what is irritating me, or if the gel is not working??? I am just a complete mess, I need some advice. Thanks everyone.

• infection

Wow...its sounds like you have had a really rough time and are desperately looking for answers. First of all, an infection can be transmitted through only one time of contact. You may have spread your infection to both of these guys. As far as all of your irritation, you probably hadn't heeled yet. This must have been causing you more irritation and discomfort. Also, don't feel bad that you used the monistat. It's not your fault. Hope this helps and that you get better soon!

Comment

• Thanks for your reply Princess. I am only worried about spreading it to my ex-boyfriend [who I am getting back with]. I am almost certain that it was the other guy who gave it to me. I have only had sex with my ex that one time 8/9. The last time I was with the other guy [who I broke it off with] was the end of July. Just days later 8/1 is when all my problems started. Plus, two months prior I had a bad yeast infection [again only days after being with the same guy]. He was the only person I was with sense me and my ex broke up, I do not sleep around. He [the new guy] did sweat terribly, and like I said, he had an odor about him even after showering. He shaved "down there" and was always stubbly, etc. He [the new guy] said his ex used to get a lot of yeast infections. I was with my ex for over 5 years prior to this new guy and never once had ANY problems. I know it was something from the new guy irritating me [or at least that is what makes sense]. I am just afraid that after just that one night of sex [prior to finding out that it was BV and not yeast, that I could have passed the BV to my ex. If anything the new guy [who is no longer in the picture] is who was causing me to have problems. EVERY time we had sex I was irritated in some way down there.

Comment

• Yes, it is possible to pass both yeast and bacterial vaginosis back and forth. Men are less likely to harbor these types of infections though. I think that some men may be more predisposed to carrying the infection then others. Keep in mind that both of these infections are naturally occuring in women and can happen even without sexual contact. They can start from an imbalance in the chemicals and bacteria that are naturally occuring in your body. The balance of those chemicals and bacteria are easilly thrown off by illness, stress, and contamination. So if that guy was not cleaning himself properly that is probably why he was giving you... and probably his ex... repeated infections.

I am not sure if Metrogel is used to treat both types of infections. You might want to double check on that. Or maybe someone else here knows? I used Metrogel many years ago and did not have any problems with it. I also use the Monistat and Vagisil if I ever get yeast infections and they work great for me. Never went wrong using them and I have never been told that they were too strong. In fact, medications that are over the counter are usually less potent then prescription meds. Strange.

You should ask your doctor if you can get some cream to help with the external itching. Try cold compresses on that area too. Like a cold wash rag. Be sure to allow plenty of airflow down there too. That will help clear up the infections.

Comment

• Bacterial Vaginosis / Sex

Ok, i saw a story on here thats quite similar to mine. Here it goes, my boyfriend and i have been dating on and off for more then 2 years now. We recently broke up for about a month and have been back together for about 5-6 weeks. On 10/3 i was daignosed with BV, treated and cured. now on 10/18 im having the same symptoms. im currently being treated with flagyl and am wonderring why this is all happening. the doctor i saw said that its something your body does to itself and is not an std, therfor my b/f cannot get it. he was not treated and we use condoms EVERY time. is it possible i was not fully cured and it is now relapsing or should i expect to have problems like this for a while since ive had 2 bouts already...? im really confused, also it seems that my immune system is not up to par as i was recently diagnosed with a "rash" all over my midsection that is viral and goes away by itself "in time". as well as recently contracting a productive caugh / with laryngitis. if someone could give me a little insight i would really appreciate it. by the way im really new at this and just found this web site today so i hope i can figure out how to use it. thanks ladies!

Comment

• Hello, ok you girls are not alone. I have been diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis several times. I hate it! I don't get any irritation, but i do get an odor. I've seen two different gynocologists because i wanted a second opinion. They both diagnosed me with the same thing. So let me start by saying that they both think i'm crazy! I only get this bateria/odor when i sleep with someone new. Same story. I was with my x boyfriend the first time i got this. I was being faithful and didn't want to tell him what i had because i didn't want him to think i was sleeping around. I was given some antibiotics and it went away. I never got it again... Until we broke up and i met a new guy. I slept with him and dam it, i got it again. To make a long story short. Since my x boyfriend i have gotten this same baterial infection with 2 partners. Same thing... I only get it when i first sleep with them. I get treated and i don't get it again with that person. So it's been 2 years and my x boyfriend and i have become good friends. This pretty much lasted a year and then Monday it finally happened... We slept together and guess what! I got it again!!! The way i see it is that we are highly sensitive females and as clean as the guy may be, we are highly susceptible to infection. I boubt there is anything highly wrong with us, we're sentive when it comes to a new penis (i like to say). My suggestion is to get on antibiotics immediately. It's uncomfortable to go on itchy or having an odor. Do not go trying to cure it with over the counter stuff becuase it won't go away. I don't know about you, but i dont want my guy to smell anything funny. Both doctors i've seen said that both my partner and I had to be treated because we will keep passing the bacterial back and forth to each other. So i never told my x so he was never treated only i was and it never happened again with him. With my second partner we were both treated and it never happend again with him either. With my third partner only i was treated and then we were both fine. So here i am again... I dont think it makes a difference if we are both treated or not because eventually i get it again with a new partner. It's life! I hope this helped. Just glad to know I am not alone.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X