Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irregular periods/intercourse

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irregular periods/intercourse

Hi everyone I am in desperate need of advice or guidance.

**Note: I am going to see a GP but I can't be seen until the 12 July at the earliest. Also in this post, I will try to keep the details to a very limited description as best I can and appologise ahead of time. I have also never been on any birth control before, however I have taken one morning after pill before and that's all. I usually don't have many cramps, but I do get swollen breasts and a sore back from time to time.

Okay so I first got my period back in 2010. They started to become regular around 2012. Fast forward to 2015 and they were starting to go irregular again. Coming every 3-4 sometimes even six months at a time. Even though the periods I had were always the same, starting off very light gradually heavy then light as it would be time to go. And they'd usually last 6 or 7 days.

At the end of 2015 is when I finally plucked up the courage to see a GP about my irregular periods. I had a blood test, ultrasound and pregnancy test done and all were negative and they all said nothing was wrong with me I left it.
    Through out 2016 I was still having irregular periods. Sometimes I would have it for a week 2 months in a row then at other times it would go missing for 3-5 months. I wanted to book myself in again but unfortunately couldn't find the time or make time as I was so busy with work. Eventually I just played it off as this is normal for me, I've had this happen before I'll be fine etc.

By the end of 2016 on christmas day I got my period and it was the first time in 3-4months. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    Then in February 2017 I got my period, again in March. Now this was okay because it was 1 month before AF (Aunt Flow) visited. Next is where it all starts going chaotic.
    March 20 is the last day my bleeding stopped. Then March 30 I started my period again and bled for a week like usual. April 4 I stopped bleeding and started again on April 27 - May 2. My next period was on June 1 - June 8.

Then something weird happened. 18 June - 29 June. The first time ever, I bled a little bit after sex with my partner. It was like spotting at first. I thought maybe it could be implantation bleeding but that would be too early. Then throughout the day I noticed it was really bright red but still light as. It was light for around 3 days before it got really heavy and it sayed like that for roughly 5 days. Then it left lightly. Throughout this period I had sex maybe twice with my partner. ** When we have sex he almost always ejaculates in me and has been doing so since last year in September and we haven't conceived yet. We'll usually have sex once a day at least.

Now early this morning we were having sex and as usually I was cleaning myself up and noticed blood after I went to the toilet. I have no clue why this is happening as my period just left a day ago and again I am bleeding slightly light like last time. I am starting to think there is something terribly wrong with me but can't be seen until the 12 July.

Any ideas, advice or guidance? I'm lost as to why all of a sudden I'm starting to bleed after sex? I know my periods are all over the show but just wondering how the two tie in together.

I appologise again for the explicit explanations. I'm just hoping someone may be able to lead me in the right direction. I am worried and just desperate for an explanation.

Thank you for reading and please, if you personally have negative views about my sex life please keep them to youself as they're irrelevant and not what I'm asking about.

• It is the weekend and the other posters don't seem to answer as often on the weekends. Maybe one of the ladies will have better advice. This is just a guess, but maybe you got a tear or cut in mid June that produced your symptoms. Since you had sex only twice, it had time to heal. Why such trauma would not cause pain: no explanation, but different people have different pain thresholds.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Hi L97! Welcome! I'm fairly certain the regulars here won't be too harsh. We hope to help. I'm sorry that maybe you've encountered that in the past to spur you to comment in that regard.

From what you describe, I don't think that you have any reason to believe that there's something seriously wrong with you just yet. Try not to stress out too much, as that can cause you to have irregular periods also.

Has sex been rougher any of these times? Or when the bleeding began, causing a tiny tear in the tissue? Could be its just small enough to bleed and really not cause much discomfort. The tissue may not be fully healing between sex, and repeated sex just keeps it irritated.

Keep your appointment coming up. Tell them the changes since you were there last. Also, may be a good idea to hold on trying to conceive until you have more information, or at least until after the visit on 7/12.
      So many things can cause irregular periods, or apparently nothing at all.
      I'm 44, and nearly in menopause and have never had regular periods all my life. Nothing really wrong with me, tho

Do you have a somewhat stressful lifestyle? Stressful job or family life?
      Stress is a bigger factor than many women realize. Is your diet nutritious and are you otherwise healthy? No other underlying health issues?

Comment

• Wow thanks for the response ladies! I'm sure people on here won't be too harsh but just thought I should include those little comments just in case.

It's a little comforting knowing that even at the age of 44 your periods are irregular. I've just always thought they were suppose to go regular after a couple of years or so I've read. But it is nice to know that this can happen for a long time.

Ill try and do some research on those little tears and try and nail something down so thanks for that advice. Also with stress I have been really stressed since January and February this year so I'm sure that will play a part just never really thought about it like that. Lately I haven't been taking care of my diet lately so that too is probable another factor.

Thanks once again, I just hope it's nothing too serious. Have any of you experienced infertility? I've also thought about myself being infertile but could never bring myself to actually seeing a doctor in fear they may say I can't have children..

Comment

• Glad you have some more to think about.

I never got pregnant, tho I never tried terribly hard. If you continue to have irregular periods you may have difficulty with getting pregnant, tho that doesn't mean you're necessarily infertile. With irregular periods, it's just much harder to predict ovulation and our systems are just more erratic. Way too early for you to be thinking infertility. Again, you're adding stress for yourself. Are you tracking ovulation? Are you one of the fortunate ones that knows when she's ovulating?

I understand that deep desire to be a mom and the associated worry and anxiety at the prospect of the potential difficulties. Try to talk yourself back to just relaxing and taking a step by step approach to conceiving, and any problems you may encounter. I also understand that is easier said, than done. Just try. Even being aware of the stress we are causing ourselves, can sometimes help us manage the worrisome thoughts. Just stop that train when you hear the whistle blow

Get the stress under control and get your diet and health back in balance and that's best for baby, all the way from conception to college! Lol. You need to stay healthy and manage stress to be the best momma ya Wanna be!

Comment

• Thank you so much for your advice darl, I honestly am humble and appreciate it immensely!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X