Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egg Donation

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg Donation

Have you ever donated eggs through a fertility clinic? I know that it's a pretty lengthy process and there is much to consider about egg donation, but from what I've read, it pays a pretty penny! Is it worth it? Knowing that you're helping others start a family is a huge plus along with the financial incentive, but I want to know if the process is painstaking, or easy. Curious to hear other people's thoughts on this topic!

• Honestly, I have no idea what the process is actually like from a first-person perspective. I remember considering it a LONG time ago when I was young (like early 20s), and before I had kids. I believe it DOES pay really well, but I think, too, that's because it's a big ask/process on the part of the donor (probably also the recipient too).

As I understand it, it starts with health screenings (medical, genetic, fertility, STIs) you have to "pass" and then depending on if the eggs are going to a specific person or not, possibly birth control so the donor's cycle is synced with the recipient's. This part probably doesn't happen if you're just donating eggs in general. At some point, there are self-injections that relate to stimulating follicles and maturing eggs for retrieval, and then the actual retrieval. But that's about the extent of my knowledge on the topic.

I imagine that part of the ask (and requirements) of donors, I would assume(??), is that they're not sexually active during that time or it's limited in some capacity. Not just the risk of unintended pregnancy, but STIs or other infections that could affect the ovaries. So part of the "fee" likely relates to that, too — you're taking all these steps and on top of that, you're not allowed to get laid either. Or at least, during certain parts of the process — like close to when eggs are going to be retrieved, I'd imagine.

I think it really is a wonderful thing to do, considering that you'd be helping others to start a family they might not otherwise be able to have. Myself, I was always of the mind that if I couldn't have kids of my own, I'd adopt — partly because there are so many kids who need good homes but also because the IVF process is just so long, difficult, and isn't always successful (not to mention it's crazy expensive). Although the same could probably be said for adoption, too.

If your body (and mind) can handle the process of egg donation, though, it could be a really wonderful gift to someone(s). And the financial incentive is definitely a plus.

Comment

• Years ago my wife and I inquired about IVF (in vitro fertilization) since she could not have children due to heavily scarred fallopian tubes (the doctor said that maybe it was due to untreated UTIs as a teenager). We were told by the doctors that the drugs used to induce multiple egg maturation increase the risk of ovarian cancer. Things may be different now or we could have been given the wrong information but that was the reason that my wife never went forward with IVF. Egg donation would have the same considerations about the drugs used. I would expect that a person donating eggs for cash would be at least partially compensated for the risks involved.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Zoë T. I actually went through the very early stages of trying to donate my eggs. I don't want children and at the time (this was years ago) figured that it made sense to give someone else the benefit of having children and not let my eggs go to waste. I fit the criteria they were looking for, filled out the application and went to the office for the in-person interview.

They were very nice and explained the process to me. But then they did the "psych" interview/analysis where they asked about my family history and health background, etc. I had to disclose every single thing, which makes sense considering the large amount of money they pay for the eggs, so I mentioned I had eczema and that my mom was a breast cancer survivor.

After she was done taking notes about everything I was saying, she essentially told me I wasn't a good fit because people don't pay that kind of money "to take the risk of having a child with a skin problem or possibly cancer" so they decided they didn't want my eggs after all.

It was pretty sh*tty to hear, truth be told. On the one hand, you can't lie because you can get in a lot of trouble for obvious reasons but at the same time, it made me realize they're looking for "perfect" and while I know that doesn't exist, to be told that my eggs were not up to their standards made me feel awful. That form of rejection stuck with me for the longest.

Make sure you do your family medical history thoroughly before applying and just be prepared in the event they deem your eggs "not worthy." But you might end up making the cut so I'm not trying to discourage you AT ALL, just be prepared just in case because I know that f*cked me up for a minute.

Comment

• Vanessa R. Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It sounds like even the screening process is lengthy (which does make sense like you mentioned) but to go through all of that and THEN to find out that you're not "the right fit" has got to be oddly disappointing. The whole concept of "selling eggs" actually freaks me out a little if I think too hard about it.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Is there something wrong with me?

Like everyone else just pointed out before me, there is nothing wrong with you. NEVER EVER blame yourself for something like this.
            You were just...

Today, 09:07 AM By Mo
          • Reply to Making everyday routine joyful

This could be a lot of fun, but I could never do this at work. I could do this with texts from he BF, set only to work only at certain times. I'd especially...

Yesterday, 06:16 PM By atskitty2
          • Reply to Does lube actually help you?

Lube definitely helps me! I love using it with sex toys and partners alike and always finds that it only enhances my experience!

Yesterday, 10:27 AM By Zoë T.

I'm not the best multitasker and personally like to devote all of my energy and mind towards one thing at a time. So using a sex toy during work or zoom...

Yesterday, 10:22 AM By Zoë T.

One thing about work is that you are being paid for your work which to me means you should be focused on work when you are being paid to perform it (and...

07-03-2022, 10:29 PM By jns

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X