Women's Health Interactive Forums

• Before signing up for our forum please read our rules.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fibroids

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jemmadr
    replied
    It's important to discuss all available non-surgical options for fibroids with your healthcare provider, as they can offer tailored advice based on your specific condition. Additionally, connecting with support groups or forums where women share their experiences with fibroid treatments could provide valuable insights and personal perspectives.

Leave a comment:

• Ronit Raj
    replied
    While I'm not a woman with personal experience, I can share that non-surgical treatments for fibroids can be effective for some women. Options include medication to manage symptoms, such as pain and heavy bleeding, and minimally invasive procedures like uterine artery embolization or MRI-guided focused ultrasound. Success varies from person to person, so it's crucial to consult with a healthcare provider who can assess your specific situation and discuss the pros and cons of each treatment option based on your needs and preferences. Hearing from other women who have undergone these treatments may provide valuable insights as well.

Leave a comment:

• Eeshan
    replied
    Fibroids, also known as uterine fibroids or leiomyomas, are noncancerous growths that develop in the uterus. They are composed of smooth muscle cells and fibrous connective tissue. Fibroids can vary in size, ranging from as small as a pea to as large as a grapefruit or even larger.

The exact cause of fibroids is still unknown, but several factors are believed to contribute to their development, including hormonal imbalances, genetic predisposition, and estrogen and progesterone levels. They are most commonly found in women of reproductive age, typically between 30 and 50 years old.

While many women with fibroids may not experience any symptoms, others may have symptoms such as:
    1. Heavy or prolonged menstrual periods
    2. Pain or pressure in the pelvic area
    3. Frequent urination
    4. Difficulty emptying the bladder
    5. Constipation
    6. Backache or leg pain
    7. Enlargement of the abdomen
    8. Infertility or recurrent miscarriages (in rare cases)

Leave a comment:

• Alison H.
    replied
    Hi Melissa,

I can't speak from personal experience so I'm hoping that someone in the forums can. (My mom had fibroids years ago, but her remedy was a surgical one. I had a hysterectomy for other reasons so fibroids aren't something I'll be facing at any point, myself.)

What type(s) of non-surgical treatments are being presented as options to you? With any luck, there will be someone here who has gone through the one you're considering.

Leave a comment:

• Kayla Lords
    replied
    Hi there! I wish I could help with non-surgical options. When my doctor discovered a large-ish fibroid, we talked about options, and I chose a partial hysterectomy -- but I am completely done procreating and at an age where my doctor didn't try to caution me out of the procedure.

Best of luck to you, and I hope someone here can provide some insight!

Leave a comment:

• melissaharper
    started a topic Fibroids

Fibroids

I'm considering non-surgical treatment for fibroids and would appreciate feedback from ladies with experience
or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
X