Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice about not feeling sensation or pleasure

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atskitty2
    replied
    Great! I'm glad to hear that you had that support in those first months after the loss of your wife. That is a great foundation for you. And I'm glad you and your wife had that discussion about your life after her passing. That is such an important part of healing and the ability to move forward after loss.

I know it can be difficult to discuss sexual dysfunction with your doc. Trust me, they've heard it all, if they are an experienced physician. If it's beyond their scope, they can send you on to someone that will address your concerns completely. Also, talk to them about any supplements for sexual performance that you are thinking about taking.

I think you've had some good suggestions here. I think if none of the tips and tricks work out, I'd revisit the idea of some sort of mental barrier, and talk to your grief counselor about it, if you haven't already.

I look forward to reading your updates! I wish the best of outcomes for you!

Leave a comment:

• netzone23
    replied
    Thank you for your suggestions. I did not know of a ring that can help me stay erect I'm going to look into that. After losing my wife I stopped caring about what I ate and ate a lot of junk food. Everyone has different coping devices mine was food and soda. Last month I went back to my old diet. So much easier to gain weight and a lot harder to lose it.

My fiancé excites me a bit more than my wife did. I do not masturbate. I talked with her last night about my issues. She started to get upset but I told her it's not her fault and it's my issue but we will work together to figure it out.

Before I talk to my doctor about meds I'm looking into all natural methods like horny goat weed and if those don't work then I might talk to my doctor about meds.

Thank you all for your advice. I'll keep you updated.

Leave a comment:

• jns
    replied
    Originally posted by netzone23 View Post
    I did grief counseling for many months and it helped me greatly. I'll share a bit about my fiancé. I met her 12 years ago as a coworker we worked together on a team for seven years before she moved onto another job. We stayed in contact with Facebook and a group of us would go out on Friday to Applebee's and do karaoke.

After my wife had passed away a group of my friend including my fiancé would hang out regularly. Over time some of my friend had gotten better jobs and moved to different cities and it ended up with my fiancé and me hanging out together strictly as friends. A little over a year since my wife had passed thing turned romantic. I asked her out and she said no. Then two weeks later she said she would only go on three dates with me and see were it goes from there.

Ten months after my wife passed I became emotion stable and that was the help of counseling and very good friends. I ended my counseling after 11 months. My wife months before she passed made me promise I would move on with my life and find someone else. She didn't want me to be alone the rest of my life. Because of this conversation when I started a relationship I didn't feel guilty like some people who have lost their spouse does.

You mention does she know that I'm not being fulfilled. Yes she knows when I'm not fulfilled. I would tell her that my back was bothering me because I didn't want her to blame herself. However she would say its unfair for only one of us to get pleasure. She always made sure my needs got met and I always made sure her needs were met.

I do have a upcoming doctor's appointment for a yearly wellness exam. I'll think about talking to him about issues...maybe. I find it difficult to talk to doctors about sex related topics.

I know I am being very detailed hopeful with this it can give you some insight into my life. I'm going to have a talk with my fiancé today.

I will keep you updated on what happens.

Thank You for your advice.
    Hi netzone23 . Welcome to WH Interactive Forums. Lubrication, whether natural or otherwise, can make a big difference in perceived friction and feel. With being married many years, you became very tuned in to the tightness of your wife. Your fiancé does not provide the same sensation. Have you been using masturbation in between? That can sometimes cause problems. I have diabetes and that can also cause problems. Getting older can also make a guy less sensitive. Have you tried a ring designed for a penis to keep yourself very erect? Are you as fit as you were? When men put on weight, weight can make it so that the penis doesn't stick out as far and so it cannot penetrate as much. Does your fiancé sexually excite you as much as you wife did? Getting an maintaining an erection through ejaculation is very much a mental exercise. Sometimes a change is needed to get your head fully in the game, such as fantasizing or switching who is in charge. Lastly, have you considered medications that can help in getting and keeping an erection?

Leave a comment:

• netzone23
    replied
    I did grief counseling for many months and it helped me greatly. I'll share a bit about my fiancé. I met her 12 years ago as a coworker we worked together on a team for seven years before she moved onto another job. We stayed in contact with Facebook and a group of us would go out on Friday to Applebee's and do karaoke.

After my wife had passed away a group of my friend including my fiancé would hang out regularly. Over time some of my friend had gotten better jobs and moved to different cities and it ended up with my fiancé and me hanging out together strictly as friends. A little over a year since my wife had passed thing turned romantic. I asked her out and she said no. Then two weeks later she said she would only go on three dates with me and see were it goes from there.

Ten months after my wife passed I became emotion stable and that was the help of counseling and very good friends. I ended my counseling after 11 months. My wife months before she passed made me promise I would move on with my life and find someone else. She didn't want me to be alone the rest of my life. Because of this conversation when I started a relationship I didn't feel guilty like some people who have lost their spouse does.

You mention does she know that I'm not being fulfilled. Yes she knows when I'm not fulfilled. I would tell her that my back was bothering me because I didn't want her to blame herself. However she would say its unfair for only one of us to get pleasure. She always made sure my needs got met and I always made sure her needs were met.

I do have a upcoming doctor's appointment for a yearly wellness exam. I'll think about talking to him about issues...maybe. I find it difficult to talk to doctors about sex related topics.

I know I am being very detailed hopeful with this it can give you some insight into my life. I'm going to have a talk with my fiancé today.

I will keep you updated on what happens.

Thank You for your advice.

Leave a comment:

• atskitty2
    replied
    Hi netzone23 Welcome in!
    My first thought was as Alison suggested, that this is very likely a mental block that you are experiencing. You say that you gave yourself a year to grieve, and then I'm guessing you found your fiancé right away, moved rather quickly and became engaged, since it's only been a total of 2 years since your wife passed.

While we all grieve very differently, and at our own pace, this does raise the question of how fully healed you may be after losing a 17-year relationship so tragically. Whether you realize it or not, there can be some residual factors that shape the way we navigate new relationships, including intimacy and our ability to express ourselves and feel close to another person.
    This is probably a rather scary thought for you that Alison and I propose, and I'm guessing it's not pleasant to consider what that may mean for you and your fiancé. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to break up, or that this cannot be solved, if it is part of the issue.

Have you had any grief counseling in that year following your wife's death? or since? I think I'd start there if you haven't. Reason being, this may be useful for you regardless of whether it's actually the cause of your sexual issues. It's kind of a "2 birds with one stone" approach. I've volunteered with hospice several years now, and I've known nobody that didn't benefit from some sessions with our advisors, regardless the circumstances of death. It just helps the healing process and sets people off on sure-footing for re-engaging with life without their loved one. We typically do a year of counseling with our patient's families, to start, and then reassess. Give it some thought.

Secondly, I really think you need to discuss this with your fiancé. Communication is key to everything in a healthy and close intimate relationship, and perhaps nowhere more importantly than sexually. Talk to her, get this out in the open so that you can begin to work through the possible causes, and find solutions.
    It could be that her anatomy is very different and that things just don't "hit" the right places. As her first sexual partner, does she even realize that you're not fulfilled? I'm curious about the dynamic there, and how this plays out during and after intercourse.

Also, have you had a physical exam recently? Have you spoken to your physician about the changes you're experiencing to be certain that you don't have any health-related concerns? That's something to consider as well, and worth a visit to rule out anything physical that you can address.

All the best to you. I'm a bit late to the post here, so I hope that you return and share your thoughts and outcomes.

Leave a comment:

• netzone23
    replied
    Thank you for your responses.

Leave a comment:

• Alison H.
    replied
    Hi Netzone,

It's hard to say for certain what is causing the decrease in sensation, but I'd say the first place to start is probably experimenting with different positions.

As EmptyNester suggested, any position that involves her keeping her legs close together may improve the amount of friction, and with it, sensation. During missionary, she can keep her legs together rather than spread apart or wrapped around your hips; same with rear-entry positions (or any other, for that matter) — the "tighter" the fit during penetration, the more sensation you might experience.

If she is very wet, that could also play a role in lowered sensation, too. Again, an increase in friction from positions that create a tighter fit may help with this but if it's possible to wipe some of her natural lubrication off or away here and there, that might help as well.

Additionally, it may be worth talking to her about this — not only for coming up with solutions to try together but just so she's aware of what you're going through.

One thing that crossed my mind... our brains are inherently tied to our sexual responses (or lack thereof). You mentioned grieving your late wife for a year before moving on, but is there or could there be, on some level, grief or other related emotions that may be affecting your sexual response now?

Our minds are powerful things and even if such emotions or thoughts aren't right there on the surface (or if we don't think they are), they can still affect us in unexpected ways, including hindering our sexual responses.

Leave a comment:

• EmptyNester
    replied
    I suppose doggy-style with her legs close together might the next best option. Curious to hear the ladies inputs here.

Leave a comment:

• netzone23
    replied
    We have tried different positions but she isn't very flexible.

Leave a comment:

• EmptyNester
    replied
    Have you tried different positiions? If she is flexibile, try having her pull her knees up to her chest with her legs together (you hold her ankles). That is about as tight as it gets with my wife.
    Last edited by EmptyNester; 08-09-2022, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to How to cope with great menstrual Pain?

When you experience cramps, consider taking a warm bath or applying a heating pad, hot water bottle, or heating pad because Heat can help relax the muscles...

Yesterday, 10:33 PM By Ronit Raj
  • Reply to My husband wants to watch me have sex with another man

I absolutely agree, Wednesday! These comments have been encouraging and supportive in every way possible. MOLLYBANKMENT, thanks so much for sharing the...

Yesterday, 09:08 PM By Clarisse Q.
  • Reply to purity culture

I wouldn't categorize it as abuse. But, I certainly believe that for any relationship to be completely heathly, sexual compatibility is very important....

Yesterday, 01:29 PM By EmptyNester
  • Reply to antimarriage and kids

There is more than 1000 miles between San Diego and Seattle and most of the west isn't along the coast. The coastal areas in California where there is...

Yesterday, 01:03 PM By jns
  • Reply to antimarriage and kids

this is true, when married one doesn't have freedom as the person who makes the most $ has the power
    for example, I've wanted to move out west for...

Yesterday, 12:29 PM By amy40

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• purity culture

Does anybody think that purity culture is a form of abuse? I was raised in a southern baptist home and grew up in purity culture. Thankfully I never fell...

Yesterday, 11:58 AM By victoriachan365
  • permanent hair removal

Has anybody ever done electrolysis or laser hair removal? I'm looking for permanent hair removal for my brazilian area as soon as I have money. I'm sick...

11-29-2022, 08:27 PM By victoriachan365
  • antimarriage and kids

I was wondering if anybody else can relate? Me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years and do not desire marriage or kids. Growing up in a fundamentalist...

11-29-2022, 08:20 PM By victoriachan365
  • Holidays and new relationships

I know that every single couple approaches this topic, as well as their relationship, at their own pace. Since it's the holiday season in America, I'd...

11-28-2022, 06:03 PM By atskitty2
  • Husband doesn’t want sex like I do

I, (22) and my husband (30) have been together a couple years. At first sex was great. The last year, it’s declined. Now it’s to the point where it’s...

11-28-2022, 10:51 AM By Red77
Working...
X