Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what age do men need meds for sex?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• what age do men need meds for sex?

just curious as seen posts about this
    will most men eventually need something?

wondering as asked husband one day how long do you think we can have sex, meaning to what age
    he jokingly said "tomorrow"

(no problems yet)

• I think it depends on health more than age. If a man is physically fit there's no reason he would ever need them. If he's overweight, has high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, hormonal or chemical imbalance he could require them. Some medications can cause issues too.

This is one of the reasons I'm working so hard on getting in shape. I don't want to deal with any decrease in sexual function. If it happens it happens, but it won't be because I developed issues that come from being fat or a bad diet.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I've taken histories of men in the hospital that have been active (although not really often) of men in their 80s. The problem really seems to be that most women up in that age group have shied away from sex for a number of years. I'd say it's more the women than the men that decide to not have sex any further.
      Last edited by Claret; 02-22-2018, 01:20 PM.
      That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• There is no set age, but testosterone production decreases with age. Some guys have more to start with. Considering the Coolidge Effect, a guy who has problems may be still able to perform with a new partner well after being unable to perform with the current one.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I'll take issue with what Stillness said, in part: I've always been in good health, objectively - I work out, im active, I'm 6'-4 and 220 lbs, not overweight by any stamdard, and yet I needed "ED" meds before age 60. And there are a variety of meds, both oral and otherwide, and I've used them all. And other treatments, and I've tried those too. Suffice it to say, many if not a majority of men will have "issues," but barring a serious problem, those issues are treatable, and the treatments can be very effective.
          OK, back to your question: how long can you two have sex? As long as you're both breathing...

Comment

• And as for "taking histories of men in hospitals"... that's what you call both "anecdotal" and "self-reported"... i.e., not reliable data. Who's going to say, "yeah, i haven't been able to get it up for years" to a female, nurse or otherwise?
            Just sayin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Texasred View Post
              I've always been in good health, objectively
              Tex, what I meant is that there is no age where every man will get erectile dysfunction. I didn't mean to imply that any man that has it is in bad shape.

Here's what the Mayo Clinic's website says and what my understanding is:

Physical causes of erectile dysfunction

In many cases, erectile dysfunction is caused by something physical. Common causes include:
              • Heart disease
              • Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
              • High cholesterol
              • High blood pressure
              • Diabetes
              • Obesity
              • Metabolic syndrome — a condition involving increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
              • Parkinson's disease
              • Multiple sclerosis
              • Certain prescription medications
              • Tobacco use
              • Peyronie's disease — development of scar tissue inside the penis
              • Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
              • Sleep disorders
              • Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
              • Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord

They also list psychological issues.

I'm not asking if any of these apply to you, but my guess would be that some do. If they don't that would be of extreme interest to me, because my understanding is that barring some sort of injury or birth defect, a healthy man doesn't get erectile dysfunction and that it's preventable or reversible with lifestyle changes. If I'm mistaken, I'd really like to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                what I meant is that there is no age where every man will get erectile dysfunction.
                thanks everyone for replies! this is exactly what I wanted to know ^^
                I acknowledge everyone else said it, also

just wanted to know if it happens to everyone at a certain age
                at least I know it won't happen "tomorrow" as husband said
                do know it is no joking matter so hope I didn't offend anyone by writing that

also, good to know there are various treatments available

Comment

• Originally posted by Claret View Post
                  I'd say it's more the women than the men that decide to not have sex any further.
                  don't understand that....

but also acknowledge I never gave birth so my guess is that somehow that changes SOME women forever in that their vagina and psyche holds the "memory" of all the pain involved in giving birth

just know that two relatives/one friend have horrible stories about giving birth
                  the one person admitted to me they rarely have sex anymore (after last birth which led to extended hosp stay)
                  strangely all 3 gave birth at the same hospital

Comment

• Avoid that hospital! :-)
                    With regard to women, I don't think it's a childbirth thing, though; several of the most sexual women I've known have had 2 or more kids.
                    What the Mayo clinic and other sites fail to note is that several of the commonly used meds for other purposes, e.g., cholesterol, blood-pressure, even common antihistamines, will cause ED. It's annoying to have to discover this yourself.

​​

Comment

• Texasred it has nothing to do with being anecdotal, and yes men will and do say "I haven't been able to get it up in years". There are men and boys of a very young age that "can't get or maintain an erection". It has nothing to do with age. Sexual trauma can and will affect the body as will other mitigating factors. My point was merely to show that men in their 80s can still have an active sex life. There is no "age" at which things stop functioning which was the initial question.

What Stillness was saying was these mitigating factors include physical issues which in men can cause erectile dysfunction.

Amy40, having had children has nothing to do with the women. Our bodies only have so many eggs and when they stop producing them they stop. Our hormones change over the years causing lack of interest, our secretions dry up causing an imbalance in our bodies and yes lubricant is our best friend. But it just seems that the body doesn't respond the same way when your 80 as when your 20, and over the years it would appear that the "need" to have sex diminishes in a way that it may not in men.
                      That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Texasred View Post
                        What the Mayo clinic and other sites fail to note is that several of the commonly used meds for other purposes, e.g., cholesterol, blood-pressure, even common antihistamines, will cause ED. It's annoying to have to discover this yourself.
                        Cholesterol is necessary for the production of testosterone. Blood pressure is necessary for a hard erection. Yeah, the doctors don't tell you this as they strip you of your ability to have normal sex. And they tell you that testosterone just above the minimum is still OK. OK for what? Certainly not a normal sex life. Yeah, I found it out on my own, too. I have deliberately skipped those meds before but not my diabetes meds. A lot of deceit in the medical community.
                        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by Claret View Post
                          Amy40, having had children has nothing to do with the women. Our bodies only have so many eggs and when they stop producing them they stop. Our hormones change over the years causing lack of interest, our secretions dry up causing an imbalance in our bodies and yes lubricant is our best friend. But it just seems that the body doesn't respond the same way when your 80 as when your 20, and over the years it would appear that the "need" to have sex diminishes in a way that it may not in men.
                          Some women still enjoy sex during their senior years and some men don't care about sex any more during their senior years. There is no set formula, but more men seem to be active at any given age during senior years.

Comment

• I've had this conversation with my cousin, who's a physician. I was complaining about medicine and her profession and she gave me her perspective: "You warn people that they need to get a grip on their health issues over and over again, but they don't do it. What are you going to do, not give them medicine? Then they die and/or you get sued for not treating them."

It opened my eyes a bit. It's easy to blame medical professionals for health issues, but whose body is it? A good doctor is key, but so is recognizing that they're on your team, not the other way around. We know the medical profession is flawed, but so is everything. Instead of pointing fingers, we need to take control of our own bodies.

HBP, cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, and a lot of these diseases can be halted, reversed, or diminished with lifestyle changes. It’s a question of values and worldview.

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post

Cholesterol is necessary for the production of testosterone. Blood pressure is necessary for a hard erection. Yeah, the doctors don't tell you this as they strip you of your ability to have normal sex. And they tell you that testosterone just above the minimum is still OK. OK for what? Certainly not a normal sex life. Yeah, I found it out on my own, too. I have deliberately skipped those meds before but not my diabetes meds. A lot of deceit in the medical community.
                              SO true! I've finally found a doctor who's of the opinion T levels should be at or above the mean, not merely within the normal range, and from my own experience (this is what "anecdotal" means...), T-level is critical to having a normal libido. And critical to having a normal, healthy outlook on life.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                              • Reply to Is it just me or do we all have one???

You've got the right approach, jns. Sometimes - as Ashlee T. has said - nothing works. In that instance, walking away is best. It isn't rude: because...

Today, 10:23 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

I will tell you, Ashlee T. that I would love to have children. But I have not met the right man yet. However, there is still time. I am 38 years old but...

Today, 10:18 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to How to gain weight fast?

I still don't get why someone would want to put on weight: everyone else is trying to lose it.

Thoughts?

Today, 10:13 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Help with Talking to My Crush

I second your advice, Lialia270.

I hope Jupiter Girl has made her move by now! If she hasn't, someone else must've gotten him. It is a fast...

Today, 10:09 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                              • Is it just me or do we all have one???

I have a very good friend, funny, gregarious, giving, loving, adventurous and all around good person. However, there is always a however, when we get...

03-11-2019, 07:23 AM By Claret
                              • Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
                              • Need A New Direction

I am thinking of applying for another job. For over ten years I've been working as an admin assistant for a charity. I love the work, but am starting...

03-04-2019, 07:14 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • best treatments for wrinkles and aging skin?

Everybody is trying to look young and pretty. Regarding aging, mesoskinline discovered new anti-aging mesotherapy treatment. This is about without medical...

Today, 08:57 AM By mesoskinline01
                              Working...
                              X