Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IELT, or How Long Does PIV Sex Really Last?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• IELT, or How Long Does PIV Sex Really Last?

I discovered there have been scientific studies of exactly how long PIV sex lasts before the male orgasm and ejaculation occurs and puts a damper on the festivities. There's even a name for it: intravaginal ejaculation latency time, or IELT (sometimes IVELT) for short. Research was done on over a thousand couples from the Netherlands, UK, Turkey, Spain, and the U.S., first with 500 couples in 2005 then with over 500 more in 2009. It was found that the mean time to ejaculation from first penetration was (only) around 6 minutes, while the average time was 8.5 minutes. The respondents from Turkey were excluded (their mean latency time was only 3.3 minutes) In this kind of study the mean is far more representative, because there were some numbers as high as 50+ minutes! But half of all times were at or below 6 minutes, the broad peak of the plot being between about 2 minutes and 6 minutes.

I find this just amazing, and I can certainly understand why many women might feel more than a little short-changed!

There were other interesting findings: one is that condom use doesn't seem to affect IELT! I never would have guessed that. Another is that circumcised men seem to take somewhat long that uncircumcised men, 6.7 minutes vs 6.0 minutes, but the studies say this isn't statistically significant. Also interesting is that these studies included those with PE, defined I think as men whose IELTs are between zero and 60 seconds... but that is a relatively small population and shouldn't affect the overall conclusion that only lasting less than 6 minutes is pretty typical. Not desirable, maybe, but typical.

Thoughts?

• I think it's interesting that nobody feels like commenting on how long a sexual encounter lasts.
    Doesn't 6 minutes seem really short?

Comment

• If PIV sex lasted very long, more older people would be dying of heart attacks. As for women being short changed, most women do not orgasm from PIV sex. I doubt that longer PIV sex would change that by much. What seems to work from partners for the most women are skilled tongues, toys and hands. No reports on how long those are used?
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I've been with what I guess is more than my fair share of "minute men" so...I think that drags down the averages. For that reason, this didn't reach out and grab my attention much I guess.

Comment

• Got it. But they discussed both averages and medians. Interestingly, the average isnt dragged down much by "minute men" - after all, zero is as low as you can go - but it is dragged up by the very few who go 30, 40, or 50 minutes, so the average is 2 minutes longer than the median: around 8.5 minutes.

Comment

• Well, I think there are actually fewer "minute men", or at least those who'd ever admit to it. I don't have stats on that however. I think the men who go 15-20 minutes, at least maybe at my age, are more common.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
              ...I think the men who go 15-20 minutes, at least maybe at my age, are more common.
              Don't know how old you are, but it also seems that as men get older, their "IELT" takes longer. Which could be about the only good thing about being older! :-)
              Thus increasing the aerobic activity and health benefits of sex!

Comment

• I wonder how this correlates with masturbation time for men.

Comment

• well I'm in the 2-4 minute category.... I always make my wife orgasm by using my fingers and kissing / sucking her nipples, then once I enter her I rarely last more than 3 minutes.... but a couple of weeks ago I was having trouble keeping my erection hard, so I just kept going and made sure it didn't pop out and eventually it hardened fully and I ejaculated - that was about 6-7 minutes maybe? My heart was racing so much after that it took me ages to get back to sleep!

Comment

• Originally posted by a_dub View Post
                    I wonder how this correlates with masturbation time for men.
                    You'd think there'd be some correlation, right? But then, masturbation is generally a lot more intense stimulation than piv sex, so there might be none.
                    The studies of IELT time only considered couples who were in relatively long-standing relationships. Which probably also affects the times: that initial excitement factor has worn off...

Comment

• Originally posted by Texasred View Post
                      You'd think there'd be some correlation, right? But then, masturbation is generally a lot more intense stimulation than piv sex, so there might be none.
                      Is that from the male perspective? Good news cuz I should last longer in PIV if thats the case, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by a_dub View Post

Is that from the male perspective? Good news...
                        Yeah, that's my experience, and I came across a study somewhere that said the same thing. In my case, piv takes about 3 - 5 times longer.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

What do I do in this situation? I value all your thoughts here. My husband and I had a couple we spent quite a bit of time with enjoying outings and dinners...

Today, 01:45 AM By secretkeeper
                        • Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
                        • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                          I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

03-19-2019, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                        • In Love Physical Relation is important?

What do you think in relation does sex is needed or not? If we mentally happy in relation then also we needed physical relation???

03-20-2019, 05:04 AM By paulgonzales86
                        • Hoo hot for sex?

It is nearing the end of summer here in New Zealand and it has been a pretty hot summer – especially in the evenings / overnight…. Wife & I have...

03-17-2019, 06:29 PM By muffin70
                        Working...
                        X