Asterisks ..... can the number be reduced?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asterisks ..... can the number be reduced?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Asterisks ..... can the number be reduced?

Hah...I didn't put those asterisks in there, I believe this software converts four-letter words into 20 character asterisks. I'll pick my words more wisely...

• No worries lol, I was actually directing that at the admins. Yeah it's a forum thing.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• Profanity Filter

The profanity filter is in place to discourage the use of hurtful or unproductive words and facilitate meaningful discussion. Disallowed words will be replaced with asterisks (****************************************************************) automatically by the server during posting. Do not attempt to avoid the filter by replacing part of a disallowed word with symbols or intentional misspelling. Use of filtered words in posts is acceptable as long as they are left completely censored. Repeated circumvention of the profanity filter is a bannable offense.

You will find the above in the FAQ section of the forum. This will explain the asterisks
      There is a method to my madness ........ I just haven't found it yet.

Comment

• I know, but it's not ideal in that it always duplicates the asterisks (if you start with one, you'll end up with three or more in a quote and that quickly turns into 50 unless you edit them down manually). Also sometimes people want to actually use asterisks themselves, but those get duplicated too, even if they're not associated with profanity. Cludgy.

For example, here's a quote of the above quote:

The profanity filter is in place to discourage the use of hurtful or unproductive words and facilitate meaningful discussion. Disallowed words will be replaced with asterisks (************************************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************************** **************) automatically by the server during posting. Do not attempt to avoid the filter by replacing part of a disallowed word with symbols or intentional misspelling. Use of filtered words in posts is acceptable as long as they are left completely censored. Repeated circumvention of the profanity filter is a bannable offense.
        I didn't add all those asterisks.
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• Asterisks ..... can the number be reduced?

A question was posed in another thread about the possibility of reducing the number of asterisks that appear when certain words are replaced by the language filter or just a plain asterisks is used. I have moved those posts (see above) so they are a part of this thread.

Part of Jen's post that involved the subject in question -

Originally posted by jenn1447
          p.s. - would it be possible to get a bit of a reprieve on this whole asterisk thing here? I find that every time someone types even one asterisk, I have to go back and edit it in posts because it turns into 50 asterisks automatically.
          Little, is there a way to reduce the number of asterisks that appear or is it "set in stone" by the program in place?

Hopefully I haven't made this confusing since the posts merged in chronological order.
          Last edited by Fallen1; 03-19-2014, 03:17 PM.
          There is a method to my madness ........ I just haven't found it yet.

Comment

• Please remember, that being a Women's Forum, we have teenagers join this Forum as young as 13.

One of the reason the asterisks are there to start with is to filter words that we don't want young girls seeing as part of the "type" of Forum that we are, a help Forum for people.

I understand the majority are "Adults" But, please try to avoid **************** buddies as an example. Perhaps put ....buddies so we don't have to edit and I am sure as Adults we all know what you mean
            PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• It is easy to avoid asterisks in CW's example. You could use sex buddies instead or fornicating buddies or boom boom buddies, etc. It is not hard to come up with euphemisms. I'm sure all of us have had a conversation that required us to substitute words to reduce the rawness or harshness of what we were saying.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Mind you there are "really" times when we all really, really, really want to swear

Thanks JNS, it can be that simple if we just think first before writing, then it's gone...

Comment

• The issue isn't the asterisks themselves, but the fact that they multiply .....

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
                    It is easy to avoid asterisks in CW's example. You could use sex buddies instead or fornicating buddies or boom boom buddies, etc. It is not hard to come up with euphemisms. I'm sure all of us have had a conversation that required us to substitute words to reduce the rawness or harshness of what we were saying.
                    This site would be so much more fun if instead of asterisks, all banned words were replaced with "boom boom."
                    "Those sowing seed with tears
                    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Adult Mad Libs! Lol

Comment

• As it relates to the filter on this site, choosing a word to avoid the asterisks does not change the intent at all and therefore, IMO, doesn't filter out malicious posts or posters and if we're only self-censoring to avoid asterisks and not changing the actual intent or content of a post it doesn't make it any "safer" for young men or women who come on here seeking information.

How do you differentiate "adult" and "young adult" topics? Let's assume an age of at least 13, are there any topics which should be off limits? If not, if it's fine for them to be seeking and speaking about all the topics on here, and it seems the most popular topic is sex, then what is the purpose of filtering certain words? A detailed how-to on anal sex is ok, but the A word isn't?

Comment

• I agree there's some incongruity there, but I'm okay playing ball with the censor. I guess it's just not a big enough deal for me to want to fight about it.

That said, it does expose a bit of an identity crisis for WHF imo ....is this a child friendly site (if so there probably shouldn't be a sex forum at all), an adult site (if so, children probably shouldn't be admitted at all), etc. The butt sex example is a good one - I don't know how much we're protecting young minds from evil by stopping cuss words while allowing them easy access to detailed discussions about all manner of adult topics. Then again we're not the owners/admins and don't determine policy, and that's fine with me.

Comment

• I'm not fighting, really, I'm just questioning. I enjoy word play, but since CW stated the intent as making it safe for younger people I had to ask if it actually is safe for younger people, and THAT is entirely up to the Admin's as their rules are the rule of the land on here and I accept that.

Comment

• Let's look at it this way then.

The site is called Womens Health. We understand a 13,14,16 year old is not a woman (yet), however, where would a young girl go for answers? Whether she joins or not.

And it's clear in our introduction pertaining to age and parents permission.

There are a lot of sites that you can say what ever you want on. We view this more as a "family" site and a lot of you I know feel like "family" here. So we do what we can to keep it on the "cleaner" side.

I think we are doing our bit quite well. And, no one has ever worried in the past few years I've been here about being a bit more careful of language.

Adult conversation can be heard from a lounge room to a kitchen in your own home. Swearing? F Buddy? I don't think so unless in a heated moment.

We merely have it there to keep this site as it is, has been since it started. A nicer place to visit. With respect for each other and those that "lurk".

Though we don't mind "editing" it makes our job easier not to have to, after all we all volunteer our time here like you all do.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X