Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Here, Need Advice Group B Strep Nighmare- Not Pregnant

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• New Here, Need Advice Group B Strep Nighmare- Not Pregnant

Hello I am new to this forum. I am a 25 year old female. I am in desperate need of answers/advice. I have been diagnosed with group b strep for aprox. a year and a half. I get vaginal redness, burning when I urinate, itchiness, and sometimes pelvic pain. I have been tested for all stds which were all negative. Every vaginal culture they do comes back with group b strep! Some swear there's no symptoms with this bacteria, but if that's all i am being tested positive for, for over a year and a half. I beg to differ.

I had a tubal pregnancy last Sept 2007 and after I lost the pregnancy at 6 weeks. I started testing positive for this for a year and a half now. I get a vaginal infection once a month usualyy the third week of each month. If this is happening to any other women can you private message me on here, I keep telling my Dr I cant bear the thought of having this infection once a month for the rest of my life. It has even been affecting my marriage. Plus financial with all the dr visits. They say there's no cure so I feel basically I am SOL. I have seen about 5 ob gyns and 2 family Drs now I have been asked to go see an infectious disease dr to see if there is any vaccination/shot that counteract the symptoms! Please give any advice/experience you can. I appreciate it!

• Wow, I live in the strep belt but never heard of this! My kids - who are teens have each has strep only once and I've never had it, despite growing up in an area where many people get it yearly. There may be a diet connection? When ever we feel something coming on we start taking grapefruit seed extract, you might look into that. Maybe even swabbing vaginally with the liquid.
    Have you seen a Naturopath? Or an integrated medicine doctor? They look at the whole picture, our bodies aren't isolated parts and they may have some insights on this. Good luck on this, sounds miserable!

Comment

• strep throat is different that group b strep. They are two different types of strep. Thanks for the insight I appreciate it! Yes I will be going to see a natropath Dr. It is in my list. Miserable it is my friend!

Comment

• Dear Calebsmama,
        I have had vaginal strep for years and there is no cure. After reading a few articles I plan on visiting an infectious disease doctor. But as I've learned, there is so little knowledge regarding the side effects of prominent vag strep. Here is what I know will NOT help:
        1. Flagyl
        2. Clindamycin-Can actual produce more strep
        3. Z-pack
        4. Probiotics
        5. Vaginal suppositories
        6. Fresh garlic cloves inserted vaginally

The above may help the symptoms, but it does not cure the strep. There are many posts on vaginal strep communicating your same concerns.

I recommend seeing a good gyn and getting a culture that specifies if it is Strep A, B or D as well as a PH balance test.
        Ignore those posts that say to wipe from front to back, don't wear underwear at night, only wear cotton underwear, etc. These recommendations are good to follow, but do not cure severe Strep that results in a discharge with a lot of odor. Of course, rule out any STD's.

Good luck!

Comment

• Vaginal Strep

I know how you feel. It is sad that Dr's don't do a complete exam when you communicate your symptoms.

I'm assuming your Dr has ruled out STD's? If not, you'll want to do this first. If no STD's then get a culture and find out which type of Strep you're dealing with. Is it B or D? I would also ask for a PH test and discuss results with your gyn. Strep is common in a woman's vagina, however for some of us it is realllllly abundant and can cause symptoms such as a discharge with odor, pain, swelling, etc. If your Dr tells you that vaginal Strep is normal in the vagina and there's nothing you can do about it, then see a different Dr. It is normal, but again for some of us it changes our life.

I plan on seeing an infectious disease Dr. soon. I have had a discharge with odor for years and Dr's will not put me on an on-going antibiotic treatment stating that you can become immune to the antibiotics.

For me, STD's have been ruled out. I have had two children. Ovaries, look good. Partial hysterectomy done a year ago with no change in discharge. I do know that the following do NOT work:

1. Flagyl
          2. Clindamycin
          3. Probiotics
          4. X-pack
          5. Vaginal suppositories

The above can help symptoms, but not cure the vaginal strep.

Good luck!

Comment

• Hello,

Find out what kind of strep you have. I'm assuming you don't have any STD's? Also, get a ph test.

If you have a dr. that tells you that vaginal strep never produces negative side-effects, then get a different dr. Strep in the vagina is common, but not to the point that you have a heavy discharge with odor.

Flagyl and Clindamycin do not work. That is for regular BV (bacteral vaginosis), not B Strep. Clindmycin can actually increase strep bacteria.

I have had it for years, with no cure. I plan on seeing an infectious disease dr. soon.

Good luck!

Comment

• I have been diagnosed with Strep B as well that was originally found on a vaginal culture, they treated me w/ Amoxicillan whic did not do anything. I have severe urinary tract issues, burning, swelling, itching, etc and they cultured my urine to find the strep B there as well - they are trying to use Augmentin now to fix it, but I am not hopefull! This is very uncomfortable and never having this while pregnant w/ 2 children does not equate. I want to understand how it just suddenly comes on, and how to get rid of it. I had a nurse tell me with this type of strep untreated it can damage the heart - this is a specially designated nurse I have for other chronic illness. Anyone have advise?

Comment

• Hi CalebsMama, I just joined this group to post this to you after I googled group b strep while not pregnant and seeing your post. Please look into a book called It's my ovaries Stupid by Dr. Vliet. She is an amazing Dr. who really understands womens issues. I am 44 years old and when in my 20's I also suffered from these mystery "infections" It is miserable,and I have much advice. First, find a compounding phamacist. They can make you up boric acid vaginal suppositories.You may have to call around to find a compounding phamacy but it will be so worth it! Plus the compounding pharmacist can help you. I use one as soon as I get any little itch and it will fix your problem I swear it. The first time I used them I did one suppository each night for seven days and now only when needed. I too got my problems monthly and after years realized it would happen at the time my body was low on estrogen, the week leading up to my period. Also at the first sign of problem take probiotics in the morning and another dose right before bed on an empty stomach. I use a brand called Jarrow it is very good. Find a good natural health food store or buy it on-line. I use the 3.4 billion dose and I take two at a time. Your body needs this good bacteria to help you fight off the strep taking over. Antibiotics will only make you worse. I'm out of room! Best wishes to you! Hang in there

Comment

• Hi rad 1012 thank you so much for all the great info. Do you have a facebook or a my space. Otherwise my email is tamara.myunghotmail.com. I'd like to keep in touch with someone else who knows what I am going through. Thanks so much again! I will take all your advice into consideration.

Comment

• Im new on here too, i wasnt quite sure how to message back to your post but i have been having similar problems for about 6 months now. doctors couldnt figure out what it was and did a culture. the culture turned up group b strep. i dont know a lot about it but i think it's whats been causing my symptoms.

Comment

• I did not know that there was such an infection as Group B Strep I am 71 years old and was diagnosed as having this when I had a medical done a week ago and just happened to go in to see Dr. about the tests he took. And there it was..he put me on Amoxicillin but now I'm out of it and I still sense the restlessness over my bladder that I had before..there is no discharge now and no pain but the restlessness is annoying..what do I do about this??

Comment

• I joined this group to say I too suffer from Group B strep and am not Pregnant. I am going through at the moment to find a way to manage this issue as well as to keep it in check. My Gyno has said I am low in iron, so I have boosted that up as he believes my immune system could be shot so that's why I keep getting recurrent Strep infections around the week before my cycle.

I believe that my Gyno will be sending me to an infectious disease doc to work out why the antibiotics arent working. I am sick of taking them. What am I doing wrong? What questions should I be asking the gyno?

Calebsmama - What is a compounding Phamacist? What do they look after? Any help will be appreciated in relation on how you beat this.

Originally posted by rad1012 View Post
                        Hi CalebsMama, I just joined this group to post this to you after I googled group b strep while not pregnant and seeing your post. Please look into a book called It's my ovaries Stupid by Dr. Vliet. She is an amazing Dr. who really understands womens issues. I am 44 years old and when in my 20's I also suffered from these mystery "infections" It is miserable,and I have much advice. First, find a compounding phamacist. They can make you up boric acid vaginal suppositories.You may have to call around to find a compounding phamacy but it will be so worth it! Plus the compounding pharmacist can help you. I use one as soon as I get any little itch and it will fix your problem I swear it. The first time I used them I did one suppository each night for seven days and now only when needed. I too got my problems monthly and after years realized it would happen at the time my body was low on estrogen, the week leading up to my period. Also at the first sign of problem take probiotics in the morning and another dose right before bed on an empty stomach. I use a brand called Jarrow it is very good. Find a good natural health food store or buy it on-line. I use the 3.4 billion dose and I take two at a time. Your body needs this good bacteria to help you fight off the strep taking over. Antibiotics will only make you worse. I'm out of room! Best wishes to you! Hang in there

Comment

• Sorry I was meant to ask Rad1012 about what the compounding pham and what can they do? when you said to ask for boric acid vaginal suppositories, what are they, I've never heard of them and can they be found in Australia?

Originally posted by Jayci View Post
                          I joined this group to say I too suffer from Group B strep and am not Pregnant. I am going through at the moment to find a way to manage this issue as well as to keep it in check. My Gyno has said I am low in iron, so I have boosted that up as he believes my immune system could be shot so that's why I keep getting recurrent Strep infections around the week before my cycle.

I believe that my Gyno will be sending me to an infectious disease doc to work out why the antibiotics arent working. I am sick of taking them. What am I doing wrong? What questions should I be asking the gyno?

Calebsmama - What is a compounding Phamacist? What do they look after? Any help will be appreciated in relation on how you beat this.

Comment

• Does having strep b contribute to infertility?

Comment

• i'm also living with this nightmare

hi everyone -

i noticed a few people had planned to see infectious disease doctors about their strep b - what was the outcome of those visits?

also, is this causing painful intercourse for anyone?

i've been struggling with this for several years now and am at my wits' end... any additional info would be very appreciated!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
                              • I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Yesterday, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                              • In Love Physical Relation is important?

What do you think in relation does sex is needed or not? If we mentally happy in relation then also we needed physical relation???

Today, 05:04 AM By paulgonzales86
                              • Hoo hot for sex?

It is nearing the end of summer here in New Zealand and it has been a pretty hot summer – especially in the evenings / overnight…. Wife & I have...

03-17-2019, 06:29 PM By muffin70
                              • Is it just me or do we all have one???

I have a very good friend, funny, gregarious, giving, loving, adventurous and all around good person. However, there is always a however, when we get...

03-11-2019, 07:23 AM By Claret
                              Working...
                              X