Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussions.

This weekend my boyfriend and I are going on a trip. And we will be in the car for almost 6 hours. Just him and I.

We have been together for almost a year and a half, so at this point we know most everything there is to know about one another.

But when we are driving I want us to talk. Like really talk. We talk everyday, but its just about the little things. I just thought a long car ride like this would give us a chance to explore each others thoughts a little more, and break away from the everyday conversation.

So does anyone have any ideas for good conversation topics? You know things that will challenge our minds, and just really get the conversation flowing?

I hope this made sense.

Thanks guys!!!!

• OK here are some BIG things - but you may not like what you hear.....

Should the US use its strong military to overthrow abusive regimes like North Korea or Zimbabwe?

Should we reduce medical expenses for the elderly, letting more die, to save nearly a trillion dollars a year to care for the young?

Should corporations be bound by morality and ethics, or only by the law. If so, how do we keep the unethical corporations from out-competing the ethical ones.

We can’t completely fix the environment, how do we prioritize what to save, what is a redwood tree worth?

When countries don’t control their population growth, war, plague or famine do it for them. What to do about countries with a high birth rate?

Do people have a right to destroy their own lives?

Is anything between consenting adults OK?

In the bible, who has done more evil (as judged by the laws of man) Satan or God.

If a culture oppresses a large fraction of their population (women for example), do we judge that culture to be equal to our own? If not, are we bound to do something to stop them? If not, what crimes are enough to warrant war or other strong action.

How do we justify going on a driving trip when CO2 emissions are threatening the global environment?

Is the job of schools just to teach facts, or should they also try to shape children’s morals? If the latter, then what moral standards do we use?

If we send food to a nation of starving people that does not control its population we will just wind up with more starving people. Is that better?

If I consider the damage I personally do to the world, do I only count what I do, or do I count what my descendents will do?

Can a culture be held responsible for the crimes of past generations?

What would you like the world to be like in a thousand years?

Who was Tom Bombadil really?

Comment

• Originally posted by rcoreyus View Post
      OK here are some BIG things - but you may not like what you hear.....

Should the US use its strong military to overthrow abusive regimes like North Korea or Zimbabwe?

Should we reduce medical expenses for the elderly, letting more die, to save nearly a trillion dollars a year to care for the young?

Should corporations be bound by morality and ethics, or only by the law. If so, how do we keep the unethical corporations from out-competing the ethical ones.

We can’t completely fix the environment, how do we prioritize what to save, what is a redwood tree worth?

When countries don’t control their population growth, war, plague or famine do it for them. What to do about countries with a high birth rate?

In the bible, who has done more evil (as judged by the laws of man) Satan or God.

If a culture oppresses a large fraction of their population (women for example), do we judge that culture to be equal to our own? If not, are we bound to do something to stop them? If not, what crimes are enough to warrant war or other strong action.

How do we justify going on a driving trip when CO2 emissions are threatening the global environment?

Is the job of schools just to teach facts, or should they also try to shape children’s morals? If the latter, then what moral standards do we use?

If we send food to a nation of starving people that does not control its population we will just wind up with more starving people. Is that better?

If I consider the damage I personally do to the world, do I only count what I do, or do I count what my descendents will do?

Can a culture be held responsible for the crimes of past generations?

What would you like the world to be like in a thousand years?

Who was Tom Bombadil really?
      Wow! I was going to suggest Trivial Pursuit!

I, personally, would have a difficult time driving and debating at the same time. I also think of road trips as being more of a fun let's relax and enjoy eachother sort of thing. Also, I've never quite understood some people's need for constant conversation, but that's just me.
      "Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong."
      -George Carlin

Comment

• All a matter of personalities. I'm not suggesting that discussing the things on my list is a GOOD idea <g>. She did ask for something that would "challenge their minds".

Comment

• Originally posted by rcoreyus View Post
          All a matter of personalities. I'm not suggesting that discussing the things on my list is a GOOD idea <g>. She did ask for something that would "challenge their minds".
          rcoreyus

I actually like these two topics and think they'd keep me going for quite some time....

I'm feeling like 2 threads should be started corey?

CW
          PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• hey guys thanks for the help.

rcoreyus-

while appreciate all the thought put into your post, some of the topics might be a little too heavy, but i do know that some will definately get the conversation flowing.

nerd-

we don't have a need for constant conversation, i just personally don't want to sit in a car for 6 hours in dead silence, or just mulling over the same old things. i feel like talking about things that may push your partner to look a little deeper into his mind or heart is a great way of getting to know even more about them, and i always think that getting to know someone as best as possible is a way of enjoying each other. but i loved the trivial pursuit idea so thanks!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dgirl07 View Post
              hey guys thanks for the help.

rcoreyus-

while appreciate all the thought put into your post, some of the topics might be a little too heavy, but i do know that some will definately get the conversation flowing.

nerd-

we don't have a need for constant conversation, i just personally don't want to sit in a car for 6 hours in dead silence, or just mulling over the same old things. i feel like talking about things that may push your partner to look a little deeper into his mind or heart is a great way of getting to know even more about them, and i always think that getting to know someone as best as possible is a way of enjoying each other. but i loved the trivial pursuit idea so thanks!!!
              Have you ever talked about things like school plays that you went to, were in, the teachers, who was your favorite, kids from school, where they are now, another words, past things that neither of you perhaps have ever discussed...

CW
              PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• rcoreyus, great topics. You should start threads on here and see where they go, could make some interesting conversation.

Comment

• bring some magazines along and read some articles that are interesting...then ask him what he thinks, or his views on the topic.
                  this works if he's driving of course.
                  the other suggestions are good but you dont want to sit next to him with a list of things to talk about right? make it look natural with a mag...or one he really likes too like one about cars if he's into that.
                  Smile...it's not so bad.

Comment

• One backup if things get dull on the drive is to get (buy, or rent from your library) some books on tape. There are a LOT of interesting titles out there, everything from Harry Potter to lectures in Greek history.

Comment

• I like the books on tape idea.

Comment

• While you're driving...you'll undoubtedly see different scenes...why not discuss them? How about discussing the beauty of the things around you...like how green the trees are in summer and those wildflowers along the road...or that junky old boat on the side of the road.

You can also discuss your dreams. Maybe you know most things about eachother...but do you know what his dreams were as a kid? What were your dreams as a kid? Did you want to be an Astronaut? A Nurse? Did he want to be a police man? Fire man? What things changed those dreams for each of you? What does he think about the direction he's heading in now? How does he see his life in the future?

If you don't make any great progress with that sort of stuff...you can always talk about sex...that's sure to get his attention and create lots of conversation. Since I took us down this road, why don't you wear a skirt and "flash" him...or have a little "fun" on the way to your destination...sorry about that...I'm a guy...couldn't help myself!
                        Cheers.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                        X