Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Heard Of An Amicable Divorce? Let's Discuss.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Heard Of An Amicable Divorce? Let's Discuss.

Ending a marriage can be a difficult decision for any couple to make, but it is not a shameful failure – and it certainly doesn’t need to be a tragedy.

In fact, sometimes divorce can be the best thing to happen to a couple and their children.

Chrissy Molzner spoke with a number of divorcees, relationship experts, divorce attorneys, and mediators to learn more about the topic. She also explains the different types of divorce and provides some really helpful advice about how to have an amicable divorce.

You can read her full article, 10 Reasons Divorce Can Be Good For You — And Your Children, by clicking here:

https://www.womens-health.com/10-rea...ce-can-be-good

Have you gone through an amicable divorce yourself, or do you know someone who has? Do you have any advice for someone who is contemplating a divorce? Share your experience with us!

• I've never been married and never will.

But my parents divorced when I was 12 years old: it was the best decision ever made. It meant moving away and starting a new life. My mum is dead now, but I am glad I lived with my dad and family until I moved out many years ago. I agree that divorce can be the best thing to happen in an unhappy marriage. Sticking with it "for the sake of the children" just tortures the children even further and worsens their upset and worry. Plus, with abusive marrages, getting a divorce can free the woman. But it takes bravery for such a woman to move on and upwards.

I also think divorce can be fair and be done fairly. It is often the best choice: for both the parents AND children.

Comment

• Yes our friend had an amicable divorce. When he called to tell us he said it was amicable, that he had given her a million dollars, he kept his stock options (which soon tanked - he was in the oil field) and she walked away happy. True story.
      Last edited by Claret; 07-23-2020, 04:14 AM. Reason: edited because I obviously didn
      That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• I've known people who have had amicable divorces and others who had anything but – in one case, it got ridiculously nasty. But overall and especially when kids are involved, if an amicable divorce is at all possible, I think that would be the best way to go.

I know that's not always going to be the case because every couple and their circumstances are different, but I'd imagine it makes it a lot easier to move on after the divorce if it was at least somewhat amicable. I have friends who coparent with their former spouses (following an amicable divorce) and sometimes I forget they ARE divorced – they carry on like old friends. It's amazing to me, but it also seems to have left them both with lasting support – they're not married, but they're still "there" for each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison H. View Post
          I've known people who have had amicable divorces and others who had anything but – in one case, it got ridiculously nasty. But overall and especially when kids are involved, if an amicable divorce is at all possible, I think that would be the best way to go.

I know that's not always going to be the case because every couple and their circumstances are different, but I'd imagine it makes it a lot easier to move on after the divorce if it was at least somewhat amicable. I have friends who coparent with their former spouses (following an amicable divorce) and sometimes I forget they ARE divorced – they carry on like old friends. It's amazing to me, but it also seems to have left them both with lasting support – they're not married, but they're still "there" for each other.
          I agree with this post. Sometimes it is best for the kids that the parents divorce. Because children aren't stupid and their parents unhappiness can radiate from them. Children can be incredibly perceptive. They know when their mum and dad have been fighting. They know when their mum and dad aren't speaking. And that is worse than being honest and having the parents say their marriage isn't working.

Sometimes it is kinder to end things now than drag a marriage through the mud: and take the children with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post

I agree with this post. Sometimes it is best for the kids that the parents divorce. Because children aren't stupid and their parents unhappiness can radiate from them. Children can be incredibly perceptive. They know when their mum and dad have been fighting. They know when their mum and dad aren't speaking. And that is worse than being honest and having the parents say their marriage isn't working.

Sometimes it is kinder to end things now than drag a marriage through the mud: and take the children with them.

I agree 100%. I wished many times that my parents had just divorced and moved on. I think my mother would be miserable regardless, but I think Dad could have found some companionship and peace. Neither believed in divorce, tho'. But somehow living a miserable life is acceptable. lol

Comment

• I think it's real. If you had platonic love you can be a good friend for each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by elizabin View Post
                I think it's real. If you had platonic love you can be a good friend for each other.
                Seems its work

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X