Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

extended family sharing

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extended family sharing

many use FB to share with extended family/friends
    I have no interest in FB, instagram, twitter, etc

do miss secret lounge as a benefit for long time posters; if I'd known it would disappear forever, would have written down P&C's book titles

don't think I miss out by not being on FB
    what about everyone else?
    is FB great for sharing OR just a "brag about me"

• Facebook and IG, as with any other site, are what you make of it. Many use it as a platform to enhance their image, and others use them for very different reasons. I use it mostly for auto-immune disease support groups, for health and wellness information, for environmental advocacy, for funny memes, for nursing information and work groups, animal and nature groups, hiking, etc. I don't often post anything personal. Some of my favorite sites to follow are on minimalism and living simply and we have some amazing local art groups and acrylic paint-pouring videos, which is a new hobby of mine.

Yes, I do consider stopping them, but for now, their usefulness still outweighs the pain of the political garbage that sometimes comes across my feed. I do have some issues with the privacy policies, and also consider dumping them for that reason. Right now, I have nothing to hide, and don't have any reason to be influenced by the ads and such that come in my face - the benefits to me are still more than the drawbacks.
    A friend of mine is a "car guy" and he's used IG to build a network of car lovers all across the country. They share info and tips and yeah, they share pics of the modifications and videos of their hot-rods. It is what you make of it...

Have you ever explored any of these sites? You may find something useful for you. There are groups for every topic and issue you can imagine. Have you considered Reddit? Many prefer Reddit, and I'll probably check that out in more detail soon.

If you make a post for Popcorn, she's possibly still lurking about occasionally. You could get her info that way. I'm not sure if you can still send a private message here or not. I think that's been disabled, but I haven't tried in years.

Comment

• I use Facebook to share with friends and family but also to interact with several communities that I would have little interaction with otherwise. Covid-19 has made it so I don't want to interact with most people face to face so Facebook has kept me from turning into a complete recluse. I use Facebook Messenger to video phone some friends.
      Last edited by jns; 04-12-2021, 09:11 PM.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• atskitty2jns
        thanks for sharing...sounds like FB is useful for you 2

shopping online now! like getting pkgs to porch
        may never return to stores in person again, lol

no haven't explored those sites, atskitty2
        just on a couple forums still

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
          atskitty2jns
          thanks for sharing...sounds like FB is useful for you 2

shopping online now! like getting pkgs to porch
          may never return to stores in person again, lol

no haven't explored those sites, atskitty2
          just on a couple forums still
          As long as you know what you are going to buy and can wait a few days, shopping online is convenient and less per item. I restocked the plates and bowls earlier. Not too long ago I bought some shirts that fit well at JCP that were on closeout and marked way down.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Took me awhile to accept online shopping, but I'm doing so more and more. I still don't want to buy my clothes and shoes online, as I'm just too particular and need to try on, but the stores I enjoy shopping at are closing locally more and more, so I'll have no choice soon enough.

Comment

• if I didn't have to use my real name to sign up, maybe would "try" FB

atskitty2
              no idea what IG is? is that short for instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                if I didn't have to use my real name to sign up, maybe would "try" FB
                You can use a pseudonym — I have a family member who goes by Lucille McGillicuddy (a name Lucille Ball used in I Love Lucy) because she didn't want to be find-able on FB. She basically just gave that information to the people she wanted to, so she's able to be on FB and see people's stuff/interact with them, but not under her own name.

I use FB, but I'm not on it all that often. I'll poke in here and there for a few minutes, but I don't spend a lot of time on the platform (couple posts a month, usually, unless I'm just sharing a quick funny). A lot of it can be "brag about me" depending on the person, but especially for folks who have a lot of friends and family who don't live close by, it's a nice way to keep in touch and just kinda see what everyone is up to when you can't be there in person.

Comment

• amy40 It's not necessary to use your real name for facebook or instagram (IG). Lots of people use false names to avoid being found by the general public. People in various professions do this, so as not to be located and harrassed by clients. It's been well over 10 years since I signed on, so things may have changed, but I probably know more people that don't use their names, than I know that do use their actual name. If you have to use a real name to sign up, you just use a different screen name anyway, just as you do here. Then you can follow or "friend" the groups or individuals that you're interested in, and nothing more. IG is the same, but it's a very different vibe there.

Comment

• we ended up needing to get a FB acct due to one of child's activities (husband used his name)

we're not friending anyone, not even family

however, we've been able to view some family posts that aren't private
                    oh my, so much bragging from a family member that I never would have thought would brag!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Am I dumb to love him?

Welcome to WHI. You are not dumb. Who a person ends up falling in love with is often not a conscious decision. Trying to convert a person who views having...

Today, 08:20 AM By jns
                    • Reply to Squirting and Orgasms in general, help

Your partner needs to spend a lot of time on foreplay. its all about foreplay. I'm just going to come out and say it. there is too much emphasis put on...

Today, 05:34 AM By Little_Man_in_the_Boat
                    • Am I dumb to love him?

Guy make it very clear to girl that it just a "transaction". If girl agreed, they will have sex. If not then there nothing left to talk about....

Today, 04:17 AM By sahw2015
                    • Reply to Cleaning your sex toys

I'm a big fan of soap and warm water to clean my sex toys. I don't worry about full sterilization because I don't share my toys and they rarely get so...

Yesterday, 01:29 PM By Kayla Lords
                    • Reply to Why am I crying every time we have sex?

I hear two things in this....

You're going through your own stuff - gaining weight, feeling depressed, being kind of "out of it"...

Yesterday, 01:28 PM By Kayla Lords

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                    X