Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did I do wrong

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do wrong

My hubby and I have been married for almost 18 years and we are dealing with being in a long distance relationship because of a new job, and trying to sell our house etc.. Our marriage hasnt been easy, Its been a roller coaster. but this time apart had shown me that we were meant for each other. He feels the same he has been saying. He comes home once a month and it has been very hard on me being here with the kids etc.. so to get to the question..

Last night I called him and he was out to dinner by himself , sitting at a bar inside a resturant, I told him I could never go and eat by myself it would be wierd etc.. what does he get out of it etc. Just trying to understand.. he goes off on me says I dont trust him, says he was hungry that is it....
    hangs up on me, we get into a big fight, and about a hour later when we speak he throws the D word at me, and says if I cant get these trust issues of mine worked out then he will leave me. I didnt think he was with a woman or looking for a woman... why did he get on the defensive so quick, now that makes me feel like he has something to hide!!!

What did I do that was so wrong???

• There definitely sounds like there's much more to it than what you said to him, escpecially since he got so defensive. Even if he wasn't with or looking for another woman there was obviously something on his mind to mention divorce at 18 years. Perhaps try to let things cool off maybe and see if the two of you can have a conversation.

There also sounds like there might be a lot of stress on both of you and stress can cause all kinds of additional issues.

I hope you can get things straightened out..
    Do not dwell in the past,
    do not dream of the future,
    concentrate the mind on the present moment.

-Lord Buddha

Comment

• Sounds like the strain of being apart got to him. I think he was feeling lonely, especially eating by himself, and he overreacted to the questions and to the comment that it would be weird for you to eat by yourself.

When do you expect to be able to live together again?

You should probably have a talk with him and have each other express your feelings on how the distance is affecting you both.

Hope you can get things sorted out.

Comment

• I think Tex is on to something.

There is something about eating/drinking alone that I find pathetic.

I'm sure he was feeling down about being away and alone and overreacted a bit.

Talk to him when you both have settled down.

Good luck.

Comment

• To me, I have to wonder if this is the first time this has happened? Have you been jealous in the past? For him to say something about you needed to get your jealousy issue under control, thats something that would be said if you have argued about this before. If this is completely something thats never happened before then something seems a bit fishy

He could have just felt like you making a random comment like that was trying to say you dont believe he would eat alone. Stress is prob playing a big roll in this.

I would def talk to him about it. Explain what you meant by it. Hopefully he will accept and understand that and you guys and work on being in a better place
          Krystal

Comment

• I think it is the stress, traveling, being away from family. It sucks.

Probably made him snappy.

He was eating, by himself, you made your comment about how you could never eat by yourself. Well, he doesn't really have a choice, right? He can't be home with you and the kids to eat. Whether it's alone in his hotel room or alone in a restaurant, it's alone.

He obviously took it wrong and that wasn't your intention. Let things cool down, let him know that you were not insinuating anything...

Comment

• I do think there is more to it that "your feelings" and "converstation" words can be spoken but also it's the tone in which it's spoken in.

Also, this can't be the first time he's defended or else he would have laughed at that comment perhaps, even stating ah it's not that bad, a man's got to eat.

The one thing that stands out to me is this:-
              he was out to dinner by himself , sitting at a bar inside a resturant,
              I'm gathering he didn't actually state that, rather it was dragged out of him.. If I was eating dinner, or about to, I would just tell my SO exactly that.

Did you hear music, laughter, people talking, ask him where he was, he said dinner, restaurant and so you said well I can hear, etc, etc, ... and eventually the bar bit came into it too?

Tone and also obstracting - can sound like "are you cheating".... and I'm tending to think that's more of the scenario that played out.

But, only you can explain that further..

CW
              PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• I just don't understand why you would question his eating out alone. What do you expect him to do? Live on pizza delivery? Make a bunch of freinds and go out with them? In all probabality he had decided that he deserved to get out and get a proper meal, few of us really like to eat alone, especially if we are missing our family. Then he gets questioned?

Talking divorce is a bit over the top but probably reflects his frustration with the separation. I think both owe each other an appology but you should take the first step.

Comment

• I wish your marriage the best, because it just sounds like the two of you are stressed. And unless your jealousy has been a continual source of stress to him, I do not see him leaving you. Sounds like a good solid relationship trying to weather out a long distance marriage. Long distance is not good for any relationship. I hope that the two of you can be together real soon! Just talk to your hubby, find out why he got so upset and work real hard on selling that house so you can move.
                  Never let the things you want make you forget the things you have...

Comment

• Originally posted by Janessa Sanders View Post
                    I wish your marriage the best, because it just sounds like the two of you are stressed. And unless your jealousy has been a continual source of stress to him, I do not see him leaving you. Sounds like a good solid relationship trying to weather out a long distance marriage. Long distance is not good for any relationship. I hope that the two of you can be together real soon! Just talk to your hubby, find out why he got so upset and work real hard on selling that house so you can move.
                    Janessa -- I know that you are new to this forum and I do not mean to be critical. Look at the date of the thread before you post. This thread is dated in October, 2009 (almost 5 years ago). The original poster has not been back to this forum since August, 2010. Your advice will never be received by her. It is better if you post to threads started in the last few days or a week. Welcome to the forum.
                    "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Originally posted by effy2014 View Post
                      Janessa -- I know that you are new to this forum and I do not mean to be critical. Look at the date of the thread before you post. This thread is dated in October, 2009 (almost 5 years ago). The original poster has not been back to this forum since August, 2010. Your advice will never be received by her. It is better if you post to threads started in the last few days or a week. Welcome to the forum.
                      Thanks! lol good point! and yes I am new...Thanks for the welcome. I wonder how you even ran across my posting..... I have a lot to learn
                      Never let the things you want make you forget the things you have...

Comment

• He really over reacted... I would have asked the same question, because I don't understand going to a restaurant alone neither. Some people like it.
                        He may have been trying to hide something by getting overly defensive or he may have just had a long day and is Under a lot of stress and pressure. Being in a long distance Relationship isn't easy (I did 6,000 miles apart for 13 months). The key success factor is, trust. Its hard to gain, and easy to lose. Just make sure you both have it and you'll be fine.

Comment

• Thread is 2010.

Effy kindly advised, thread now closed as OP has not returned.
                          PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• How many sex toys is too many?

My husband went into my nightstand drawer to find a book light, and this is what I hear.
                            "Jeez, how many of these things do you have?!?"...

01-21-2021, 06:39 PM By Wednesday L.F.
                          • Birth Control & Infertility

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

01-16-2021, 11:03 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

01-16-2021, 11:02 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill *Yaz* almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception. I have...

01-16-2021, 10:57 AM By Mr.King
                          • Opinions needed please ! HPV/bartholin cyst??

Hi guys , this is my first post here I’m hoping someone can give me some insight or maybe you have been through something similar an can share ! I’m...

01-08-2021, 04:05 AM By Nikkie92
                          Working...
                          X