Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying for a wedding

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for a wedding

Hello,

So my fiance and I are getting married on Oct 20, 2012. Our plans on how to pay for the wedding were pretty well set. My parents were giving $4,000 and his parents were givig $5,000 and the rest should have been paid for through money we'd get from the wedding guests. If we seriously had to get more money, him and his brother own a landscaping business and he would have refianced his skid steer and used it as collateral for a small loan.

Long story short- his dad's business shed burnt down that had him and his brothers skid steer and more of their business equipment in it. So now- 1. His parents aren't going to help us anymore, and 2. The skid steer is totaled and we no longer can refinance it.

What do I do? I am thinking of speaking with my bank and asking them for a personal loan and use my car for collateral if they need it. I do have other debt so I was also considering consolidating that too, just to make things easier. Any advice of what the best way to do this is?

It's not realistic to say "Just save money"...but times are tight. We can pay our bills and have some money for fun, but we cannot save $9,000+ in 11 months. PLEASE ANY ADVICE WILL HELP! I don't want this time to be a sad and frustrating time. I seem to only cry over it from the stress.

• How big of a wedding are you planning to have? Can you redefine your plans so that you won't need that much money?

Comment

• Well, we will probably invite anywhere between 300-350 people (which estimated only 275 will probably show). We already reserved the hall and put money down for it, we put money down for our dj to reserve them, as well as bought my dress and our rings. I was in the process of working with a florist when this came out and wanted to lock in a photographer...but now I am just so stressed. I need to sit down and figure out exactly what everything will cost in the end, but what do you think is the best route to take?

Comment

• I don't know if this is "done," but could you ask any guests who may have the skills you need (photography, for example) to "gift" you their skills for your special day?
        <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• Well I was going to ask my cousin if she can make my cake, because she does wedding cakes, but I need to ask the reception hall if they require that the baker be licensed. Usually if they require it and I have someone who isnt licensed I have to serve the cake (which in most cases the bridesmaids do anyway)...otherwise, I am going to be making my own decorations for the church, some of my bridesmaids are into scrap booking, so they might be able to help with invites and bulletins (or whatever they are called). Any other ideas?

Comment

• The wedding favors, I know you can assign to some girls/bridesmaids if they are willing. I used to help my cousins with theirs when I was younger. They would buy raw materials cheap and I'd just copy a template they made. Glue gun, scissors and all - that may be included with your wedding invitations and program.

Of course food will be catered, and here's where I'm going - have you chosen a caterer? If not, shop around and have them do some bidding.

Comment

• The reception hall that we booked provides the meal already, so that's already included in our expenses.

Comment

• That's good then.

If you don't mind, maybe we can have a list of your full budget itemized so we all can put our heads together. I'm trying to crunch the numbers but couldn't realistically because I don't know most of the details - that is, only if you don't mind.

I only spent less than $500 in my wedding and my Mum (the Beautiful White Witch from Australia), sent the money I spent for flowers. I know everybody's different. My hubby and I were more particular into keeping it small in order to save and just splurge on the honeymoon trip and still have money left for my immigration documentation at that time.

Comment

• I am sure you want the Perfect wedding Hun, But these days and with hard times and the economy ( that may not get any better by next Oct ) hoping that you won't be or hubby get layed off , or even Downsized .

$9000 is alot for a wedding , especially if others ( parents ) cannot help, Any way you can maybe marry in a more private Ceremony , then have an Awesome Reception ?

Comment

• I understand the desire some people have to have the elegant and beautiful wedding. But, I have to ask since you mentioned taking out a personal loan- do you want to have to pay for your wedding well into your marriage? I've known people who have financed part/all of their wedding, and they've regretted the fact that their special day is something they're still paying for. BabyGirl brings up a good point about having a smaller ceremony with a large reception afterward.

You already have the hall booked, the dj, and the meal taken care of. For your dress, what about finding it on sale or at an outlet store? You can google ideas for home made wedding decorations, and they usually have ideas for floral arrangements. Your bridesmaids can help with a lot of this. I've never heard of having to have a licensed baker for the cake, maybe it's just something normal to your area? I could understand if you were charging for it, but it seems odd to me.

Comment

• At this point, I am too far in to make it a small/private wedding. I am not going out and buying the most expensive things. I am bargain shopping and am getting only the necessities for a wedding. I think I'll regret more than I won't have the night I've always dreamt of, because you can't do that over. My mom already bought my dress (part of the $4000 wedding gift of money). It's just we had 2 plans of paying for it...and both fell through. Now, I have to figure out what to do and how to handle this. It just sucks when you've figured your budget and it all gets changed. Puts you in a tough spot.

Comment

• The average wedding costs $27,000 which we will be WELL under!!

Comment

• Also- it's not the ceremony that's so expensive (that's actually free)...it's the reception hall (food and drinks), photographer, and DJ. Its all SO PRICEY!

Comment

• Just because the average is 27k doesn't mean much. I spent $100 on mine. /shrug The joy of getting married was what was important to me, not the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by rosekitten View Post
                              Just because the average is 27k doesn't mean much. I spent $100 on mine. /shrug The joy of getting married was what was important to me, not the show.
                              Rosekitten, the OP is not asking for our lectures. She has her reasons - it's what she likes, it's what was planned. Her reasons are her business, unless she doesn't mind disclosing.

She came here asking us to help her figure out how to save the plan and still make it work because for some mishap, the things that should help pay for it didn't come through. I do understand where you're coming from, but that's you, not her.

I hope you do understand. And I do so tell you this politely, as a valuable contributor of this site. xx

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X