Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want a baby, but my husband doesn't want sex

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a baby, but my husband doesn't want sex

This is a really strange problem. I'm 33, we've been married four years and have been best friends. I'm attractive and take care of myself. Unfortunately my husband's work schedule causes him to be very tired and we don't have much sex (once every 2-3 months). We went to therapy for a year and he promised to work on this issue but not much has changed. We have had some difficulty with our marriage in terms of seeing eye to eye on lifestyle, money, in laws etc., but nothing that can't be worked out. I don't want to leave, but now am really considering calling it quits.
    Now, I realize I'm getting older and want to have a baby, but we are having minimal sex so the baby thing is never going to happen. I've begged and pleaded to get this issue resolved. I've tried to talk about it and asked for him to open up but to no avail. I need some advice- I am considering leaving because it's getting really bad and as I get older and older my window is closing. I feel like I'm in a roommate/ brother-sister relationship where we love and respect each other but there is no sex. Most forums talk about how there is no sex in their marriage after kids, but I can't even seem to have enough sex TO have kids in the first place!
    I have a high sex drive and am sad that I'm in a marriage with someone who isn't so interested in sex- it's definitely third and fourth priority after work and social life. I nearly filed for divorce over a year ago but instead we decided to go to therapy but here we are at the same place all over again. I don't want to end up resenting this person and blame him for not having kids but I also don't want to leave because I fear not being able to find someone I like again.
    Help! What do I do??

• Does he want kids? Is it that he won't talk about it, or does he not want them?

Comment

• I'd imagine marriage is full of compromises, but I'd think baby-making is non-negotiable. In that sense the question you have to answer is pretty clear.

Fwiw I really dislike hedging bets and looking at tradeoffs. If babies are important and he can't deliver, it seems kind of insignificant that he'd be good at karaoke or have nice hair. Don't negotiate on stuff that goes down so fundamentally that it's basically part of your identity.
      [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• Children are non-negotiable, but also something where someone should never be pressured.

If he does actively want children but you aren't having enough sex, that is a completely different issue.

Comment

• You have gone through the right steps. You have tried to communicate with him and gone to therapy for a year. Yet, there has been no change. What more can you do?

If you are in relationship saving mode, then separate with a deadline of 6 months to resolve the child issue. He may not believe that you are currently serious. Separation is a bold step.

This isn't just a child issue. It's an intimacy issue as well. Can you live without children AND sex in a lifelong committed marriage? You know the answer to this question. You will also find so done more compatible. The year in marital therapy should have honed your communication skills and narrowed the traits you need to have a wonderful relationship.
          "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• I feel like I'm in a roommate/ brother-sister relationship where we love and respect each other but there is no sex.
            This happens.. And, hopefully you can still remain "friends" after but it's not really a marriage is it? Taking the baby making aside.. A great friend, yes. Love there, yes. Respect there yes. Brother / sister/ room mate (no) that to me is a great friend that you can get along with.

That's not love, that's not happiness, laughter, intimacy, bonding, sensuality, sexuality they exist as well.

What happened when you went to therapy anything? And, how long for, who stopped it?

CW
            PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• He definitely wants kids and feels strongly about legacy and leaving someone behind in the world for after when we're gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by rcoreyus View Post
                If he does actively want children but you aren't having enough sex, that is a completely different issue.
                This is indeed the issue rcoreyus. Not enough sex, but he wants at least one child. We talked about kids before we got married - its definitely something we both want, maybe he thinks we can have sex one time and i'll get pregnant and we will move along with our lives. UGH!

Comment

• Originally posted by CHANDLERS WISH View Post
                  This happens.. And, hopefully you can still remain "friends" after but it's not really a marriage is it? Taking the baby making aside.. A great friend, yes. Love there, yes. Respect there yes. Brother / sister/ room mate (no) that to me is a great friend that you can get along with.

That's not love, that's not happiness, laughter, intimacy, bonding, sensuality, sexuality they exist as well.

What happened when you went to therapy anything? And, how long for, who stopped it?

CW
                  We went to therapy for a year (from Feb 2013 to March 2014). It certainly worked as far as communication/bonding/understanding each others needs/resolving conflict/learning respect. I would say it "saved" our marriage. I didn't end up filing for divorce and the biggest thing is that he realized all the things that he was doing wrong and also realized that the onus is now on him (with some help from me) to uphold his end of the bargain. The major issues we were having were as follows:
                  - He works too much and makes this his TOP priority ( like if a partner in his firm wants a conference call at 11pm on a Saturday night, he will oblige - he insists this is his line of work, and that I knew what I was getting into)
                  - Poor communication (we would go days without really speaking about anything of any importance)
                  - Poor conflict resolution - we would argue about something and then talk about what's for dinner LOL, so no resolution ever
                  - No sex (this is the one that is not resolved yet)
                  - Me feeling like I'm jumping through hoops to make this work and that he is putting in the minimum effort needed to keep me in the relationship.

Bottom line is we've been out of therapy now for about 2 months and he's been better about giving me more time, but work is STILL top priority (still working 70-80 hours a week) but at least he is not spending his free time with his MBA buddies or playing golf - he is upholding Friday night date nights etc.

The brother-sister/no sex thing is a the MAJOR issue still. There is nothing romantic about date nights lol (we mostly plan our next career moves and talk about each others office politics, or plan vacations - at least we're talking!)

CW- you're exactly right about the sensuality/sexuality/intimacy thing - that is NOT a marriage. We are best friends (I certainly am his) and good sounding boards for each other esp since we're both career minded and such.

EFFY2014 - you make great points also. Can I live my entire life with NO sex AND no kids? Definitely not - 10000000% not. You're right, therapy did tell me EXACTLY what I need from a relationship and also what I am capable of giving ( not only did we go to couples therapy, I went to individual therapy for 5 years prior to that - I was initially depressed, but then just LOVED my therapist, so continued going - she changed my life). I've worked SO hard on myself and I just want the same from him, but that might be a very high expectation.
                  I also think you make a fantastic point about him not knowing HOW serious I am. I TALK about it, but I have yet to take any ACTION. I do not like to work with ultimatums (I just don't think strong arming people into doing something is the best way, but then again I'm a tough cookie and have no problem asserting myself ) Plus ultimatums don't make for good sex/intimacy/bonding.

IDEALLY, I want good sex AND kids AND a best friend. I have 1 out of 3. and won't sex get WORSE after kids? Wait, back to my first point, Not enough sex TO have kids. AARGHGH!!! I'm going in circles.

Ultimatum it is, maybe? What does everyone else think?

Comment

• Lefty:

I have so much respect for what you have accomplished. You understood how important it was for you to know yourself as well as to get marital advice. You know what you need and want out of life. That puts you ahead of 90% of the population. Kudos to you.

Don't think of this as an ultimatum. This is not a power play. While ultimatums are uncomfortable, you have taken the right steps without result. Think of it as the last step to save your marriage. You can't be in a marriage without kids and sex. Yes, kids make sex more problematic ... but if couples make intimacy a priority, it can still be done.

My only word of caution is the work issue. As a professional in a service industry, I understand that one one rarely has the choice whether or not to be on a conference call at 11:00 when you are in the middle of a deal. It's not how much time he spends at work, but how he makes you feel when he is not working. Is he present in the relationship or just waiting for the not call? Does he take your calls at work? When you have an issue, does he make it a priority over mundane work.
                    "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Hi Leftyfromnyc

I'm browsing this forum from 2 years but registered today just to share my experience with you since i had the same problem before 4 years ,
                      my husband is a civil engineer working in Dubai , me and him live there from 7 years .... , he is nice and honest guy but dedicate himself
                      for his work ... and so far we had sex each 2-4 months .... , i felt i reached blacked road with him and took my decision
                      for divorce ... but one of my friends gave me step by step solutions , she is a doctor and have master degree in NLP ...,
                      Long Story Short we have cute girl now , and waiting the next prince .

I'm shy woman and the solutions too long to be written here , send me an email to adrienne_devost [at] yahoo.com
                      if you want to talk , and pardon my English .

regards

Comment

• Effy2014 - Thank you for your kind words. You're right again about it not being a power play. I did have a chat with him and he agrees that we need to get moving on the baby making activities. Let's see what happens.
                        I agree with you about the work issue. If there is communication then the work is not really an issue. I just don't want him to use work as an excuse to not communicate esp since communication can be uncomfortable sometimes. Now he does take my calls at work and when I have an issue now he drops everything and speaks with me to help comfort me/resolve the issue. We learned all this in therapy. I suppose in the grand scheme of things he has put in effort in his own way. Let's see how the baby thing goes. I told him today that we really need to take this seriously and that we need to get on with it. I will keep you posted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrienne12 View Post
                          Hi Leftyfromnyc

I'm browsing this forum from 2 years but registered today just to share my experience with you since i had the same problem before 4 years ,
                          my husband is a civil engineer working in Dubai , me and him live there from 7 years .... , he is nice and honest guy but dedicate himself
                          for his work ... and so far we had sex each 2-4 months .... , i felt i reached blacked road with him and took my decision
                          for divorce ... but one of my friends gave me step by step solutions , she is a doctor and have master degree in NLP ...,
                          Long Story Short we have cute girl now , and waiting the next prince .

I'm shy woman and the solutions too long to be written here , send me an email to adrienne_devost [at] yahoo.com
                          if you want to talk , and pardon my English .

regards
                          Hi Adrienne,
                          Nice to meet you! Good to hear that you were able to get your issues resolved. I wonder if there is a way for us to send messages through this website. Honestly, I like the anonymity that it allows us to have.
                          What is NLP?
                          Congrats on the girl and your upcoming baby boy!

Comment

• We had a similar issue, but it wasn't me. He had some issues and didn't want to discuss them -- pride or something like that! Lol.

Kidding aside, is it possible that your husband is suffering from erectile dysfunction? Just from personal experience sometimes men don't like to discuss that issue.

Comment

• Pikesall- I didn't even think about that. He did say that when he is stressed from work etc he has some problems. I'll investigate. Even so, I wish he would take the initiative to see a doctor, but I guess the pride thing would hold him back.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Birth Control & Infertility

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

Yesterday, 11:02 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill *Yaz* almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception. I have...

Yesterday, 10:57 AM By Mr.King
                              • Reply to Have you ghosted someone?

Vanessa R. When I met the guy I've been dating, I actually asked him about his ghosting history the first time we met. He didn't really even know what...

01-15-2021, 03:16 PM By atskitty2

I truly appreciate the insight and feedback, JonnyR , especially coming from a guy. I've been fortunate enough in recent months to come across a few "rare...

01-14-2021, 01:38 PM By Vanessa R.

Very true atskitty2 ! You bring up a good point about how easy it is for someone to walk away in all facets. Of course, the fact that there are people...

01-14-2021, 12:21 PM By Vanessa R.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

Yesterday, 11:02 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill *Yaz* almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception. I have...

Yesterday, 10:57 AM By Mr.King
                              • Opinions needed please ! HPV/bartholin cyst??

Hi guys , this is my first post here I’m hoping someone can give me some insight or maybe you have been through something similar an can share ! I’m...

01-08-2021, 04:05 AM By Nikkie92
                              • Got a Vulva? Let's talk wanking!

I'm putting together a piece on hands-free masturbation and would love to hear from people with vulvas. I'm looking for quotes or stories about early...

01-03-2021, 01:44 AM By Wednesday L.F.
                              • I just want some assurance.

Hello.

So these are questions for all the ladies. For those who engage in anal sex, how many years have you been having it? Have you've had...

12-30-2020, 08:01 PM By yrtxzh5a47
                              Working...
                              X