Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural birth control?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Natural birth control?

Hia. Okay so, I've been using the Mirena IUD for birth control since Sept. 8, 08. For 4 months now. I have had non stop problems with it since it's been inserted. I thought for sure I was pregnant, so yesterday I went to the Dr. for a pee test, and some blood work as well. Turns out I'm not, thank god. But they said they could go ahead and take it out at the appt. So I said sure, get this thing the out of me. They tried to take it out, but it seems to be stuck. They pulled so hard on the strings trying to get it out that they pulled the strings off completely! Anywho, I was thinking about using pills as birth control, but I am so sensitive to the hormones in all these birth control methods. I was on the Depo shot for 3 years before having my kiddos, but had a ton of issues with that as well. Not to mention it took almost a full year to get pregnant after I got off of it with both babies. So I got to thinking, there must be some kind of drug free, or natural birth control. So I was wondering if anyone out there does this, or knows how do to this, and is it an affective method?
    Thanks!

• An IUD without the hormones is as close as you can get. Don't know anyone who's used the Mirena without a problem (but then they wouldn't be talking about I guess) I used a plain old fashioned IUD for 9 years w/o trouble. If you aren't paraben sensitive a diaphram may serve.

Comment

• CHeck into Lady Comp..It's a natural way of traking you cycles etc etc..I have herad some good things about it!

Comment

• So did they ever get it out? I have the Mirena too. I have had problems for a while. The doctor keeps telling me it could not be a problem with the Mirena. I disagree because it releases a hormone. They say they can feel my strings but I don't. They will not do another ultrasound to see. I don't know what to do.

Comment

• Go to Planned Parenthood and see what they can do. They pop those things in and out like nobody's business. Your doc doesn't do a fraction of the IUDs they do. Why the Minera? Why add hormones that could mess you up, to what is all by itself an effective BC? Is it to get shorter periods?

Using any kind of rythm method is a sure fire way to be a high risk to get pregnant, you never know when your cycle may change just a tiny bit. Get a regular IUD, a diaphram, a cervical cap.

There are some herbal possiblities but I won't share them, they are anecdotal, dosages would be hard to determine and maintain and some could result in permanent sterility. There are plenty of good non pharmacutical options, do your homework and decide what will fit your lifestyle needs. We have more choices now than women have ever had.

Comment

• Actually, given "perfect use," the basal body temperature method is more than 90% effective. However, it has a much lower "average use" rate of success ... more like 75%. Try your local Catholic church. Because of their religious beliefs, Catholics don't use birth control, only avoidance methods. I assume that any classes on it would be filled with religious rhetoric and bad opinions of hormonal birth control, but to get the right tactics for the avoidance method, it might be worth it.
            <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• A couple of people have touched on this but this is my experience with natural bc. I successfully used the rhythm method for quite some time. If you don't know, this is an old school way of preventing pregnancy. It works very well for some women, and not at all for others! My understanding is that if you have regular periods, and therefor likely regular ovulation, it is more likely to work for you. There are several apps you can use if you have a smartphone to help you out. If you know the dates and lengths of your last few periods you can enter them retrospectively and this can help a lot with accuracy. Otherwise you may choose to track your period using the app for a few months before using the method. Basically what it does is tell you, based on your cycle, when you are likely to be ovulating, and when you are likely to be fertile. I like "pink pad" because it's free and easy to use but there are other options. You can even pay for options where you can do more complicated calculations like entering factors like thickness of vaginal secretions, and body temperature. I never bothered with that.

Up side: You get to know your body cycles really well, and I found that felt really good. I liked knowing what my body was up to. There are no side effects like with hormonal or many other birth control methods.

Down side: It doesn't work for everyone. Even women with regular menstrual cycles may ovulate unexpectedly for a variety of reasons. There are a few days out of each month where you need to either refrain from sex or use another method (condoms, sponge, whatever).

I'm no medical professional and many medical professionals will say this method is not reliable. When I told my gynaecologist I had been successfully using it for several years, she said, "It's obviously working... so I'm not going to knock it". This is old knowledge that women used for a long time before modern bc was an option, again, with varying success. So... it worked for me. I liked it very much... but... I am in my late thirties. My fertility has probably declined. I don't know your age but it may be a factor. I also have a friend who experienced unwanted pregnancies while using the rhythm method... twice. She was younger than I, but like I say, it's not infallible. There's lots to think about. I knew if I got pregnant I would have a medical abortion. If you don't feel this is an option for you and really don't want a baby, you may not want to risk it.

All that said, I really believe it is more dependable than most modern doctors would have you think. Just my bit of wisdom / experience.

Comment

• Little, its unfortunate that you let your bias against Catholicism (or is it simply against all religion?) mar an otherwise useful reply. How can you "assume" anything about classes on birth control offered through a church, without having been there?

Comment

• Texasred - Little's post was from 2009.
                  "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Originally posted by Texasred View Post
                    Little, its unfortunate that you let your bias against Catholicism (or is it simply against all religion?) mar an otherwise useful reply. How can you "assume" anything about classes on birth control offered through a church, without having been there?
                    Little was last here three years ago. I doubt you will get a reply.
                    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Sorry, i ran across that post and didn't look at the date.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Very light brown discharge

Hello all, I had very light brown discharge yesterday that did not last very long and hasn't happened since. My period should be starting any day now,...

Today, 10:41 AM By Emit
                      • Reply to Hoo hot for sex?

Refresh my memory Muffin, how old are you and your wife? It can get pretty hot in the summer in Canada and where I live humidity can be a killer as well,...

Today, 07:26 AM By Claret
                      • Reply to How to gain weight fast?

Hi,
                        Try some fatty foods eat burgers, pizzas etc. Consume carbs as much as you can. Else if you want to take any supplement take double XXL gainer...

Today, 04:24 AM By paulgonzales86
                      • Hoo hot for sex?

It is nearing the end of summer here in New Zealand and it has been a pretty hot summer – especially in the evenings / overnight…. Wife & I have...

Yesterday, 06:29 PM By muffin70
                      • Reply to Have You Ever Let A Guy Cum Inside You? Do You Want To? – Discuss

CapeCRunner - Were you posting here back when kiddo #1 was born? For some reason I feel that I remember when you became pregnant for the first time. Anyway,...

Yesterday, 05:59 PM By Ashlee T.

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                      X