Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth-Control Pill for Men! Would you make your husband/bf take it?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth-Control Pill for Men! Would you make your husband/bf take it?

I found this interesting article about a discovery made at the University of Colombia where this chemical apparently stops a man's testicles from producing semen temporarily by blocking Vitamin A.

Outbound link removed. Please read site rules and FAQ's.
    Any thoughts?
    Yes
    42.86%
    No
    14.29%
    Only if he wanted to
    42.86%
    Last edited by Ashlee T.; 06-11-2011, 12:44 PM. Reason: outbound link

• It's been around for awhile actually and oddly they found some of the male contraceptives actually stop the transmission of hiv. Hasn't passed all the tests to be approved for public use in most countries though. The problem with it is how many guys would lie and say they were taking it just so they could have sex without a condom... The woman will be the one who has to deal with the pregnancy and at best with a paternity test you'll get some money out of the father. In a good, long term relationship though I don't see any reason the guy couldn't be expected to take a contraceptive. Particularly since some women have a lot of trouble with hormonal birth control. Doesn't really impact me though since my husband got a vasectomy within months of us getting married after my attempt at having an IUD failed.

Comment

• Birth control for men is long overdue, in my opinion.

Comment

• I think men need to have the option, but would I MAKE my SO take it? No... To me, I need to be responsible for my birth control. I would not trust that to ANYONE else but to me. Especially when it comes to a pill form, etc., relying on someone else to take a pill every day to prevent me from getting pregnant? No thank you. In the same token... Men need to be responsible for their birth control. I think each gender needs to take responsibility for their own birth control. Why rely on someone else with such a life altering decision?

Comment

• I think it could be a trade-off. For single guys, (I'm a guy myself btw) I wouldn't "trust" them to be on it since we don't bear the burden of pregnancy.

However in a marriage or committed relationship, I think it's fair that either or both could take it to see who has the fewest side effects and run with that.

I just think scientifically speaking, you're trying to chemically prevent the production of MILLIONS of sperm vs. ONE egg a month. Seems a lot more risky to me, although I would definitely try such a pill if it worked.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X