Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When have you officially "missed" a birth control pill?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When have you officially "missed" a birth control pill?

I've been on hormonal birth control pills for a while now and have never had any concerns about remembering to take them. I usually pick a time before I go to bed, taking them between 10:15 and 10:30 every day.

During my latest visit to my gynecologist, I asked in passing what is considered an official missed pill--is it late after ten minutes? Twenty? An hour?

She couldn't give me a direct answer, instead stressing again the importance of taking the pill at the same time every day.

Which is all a roundabout way of asking: has anyone heard or read anything conclusive regarding exactly how close to the same time every day birth control pills need to be taken to be effective? Is a woman taking them between eight and nine-thirty technically missing a pill every day? I'm curious to see if anyone has any more information than I do.

• Ive been told by my doctor that the hormone stays in your body close to 48 hours after you take the pill. I have actually missed a few pills because of a vacation and my period started after 3 third pill was missed. I think it depends on the type of birth control you are on, but I'm pretty sure you can go at least a day and a half before you take your next pill and still be protected. I would definitely get another doctor's opinion though. While not taking a pill within 24hours is "technically" missing it, a half an hour later than usual should not matter, or there would be a lot of birth control failures!
    "If you are resolutely determined to make a lawyer of yourself, the thing is more than half done already." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• A few hours' leeway isn't a miss. I used to 'miss' all the time by taking the pill in the morning **most** days, and taking it in the evening after work when I forgot in the morning or was running late. I didn't count it as a miss unless it'd been more than 20 hours since my last one, and I didn't have any problems... of course, you do want to try to make it a habit for peace of mind at least, but if you're a few hours late one day it won't harm your cycle.

As far as effectiveness goes, you're supposed to use backup if you miss more than 2 pills (a 48-hour window), so I'd assume that 24-hour timeframe to be right about when the effectiveness declines...

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X