Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I start taking the mini-pill? Prescription given for a now ended relationship.

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I start taking the mini-pill? Prescription given for a now ended relationship.

Hi, I just this week had a break up and I have a box of unused mini-pills that I'm wondering if I should start. I'd been to the doctors about a month ago to get them as birth control for my relationship. I've been waiting to start them because I needed to wait til my next period - now we've broken up.

Should I still go on them? Are there negative side-effects to being on the mini-pill, given that I'm not sexually active? I know I could be at some point, but likely won't be for a while.

I'm 24 and went for them because it seemed like I was reacting to condoms, so I thought I must have a latex allergy that had developed. But, I don't know for definite, I used to use condoms fine with previous boyfriends and to be honest the sex in the relationship I was in wasn't good. So that could have affected it.

I was prescribed the mini-pill because I once had a migraine with aura, and there's a risk my doctor did not want to take so I couldn't be prescribed the combined pill.

Any advice would be great. I know it's always good to have this protection in the background in case I get sexually active, but then I'm guessing it messes with my body? Hopefully some of you know much more than me and can help

Oh, I'm also overdue my period so if I want to start taking it I will need to soon. I'm overdue but can't be pregnant because I haven't been sexually active since my last period.

• if you want to be on them take them.... if not dont...

Comment

• Jessie, as I said though, I'm wondering the advantages and disadvantages from anyone more knowledgeable and if wiser people here than me think it'd be good for me to start them?

I know that i can if I want to...

Comment

• You really can't know until you try it out. Pills will have different effects on every woman. Personally, I'd save the pills until a sexual relationship materialized. There is always the chance it could affect you negatively.
        Also, if the sex wasn't good and you were irritated, it may have been more because of a lack of physical readiness and lubrication, not because of a latex allergy.
        <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• It really depends, I know I feel better when I am on the mini pill than when I am off it. As in my periods are less painful and also I do not get as bloated during that time of the month. But everybody reacts differently.

Comment

• The mini pill is also called a pop pill a progrestion only pill all it does is make the uteris mucus thicker so sperm cant get in. If anything id get on the pill when you can weather your going to have sex or not.. start it.. because one your body can get use to the pill as far as regulating ur period.. and u get to see if you even get your period. my period was almost nonexistant and i never knew i had it. So get on it because later on in life this way you have the pill and usually u need a week or 2 before your body is okay so you need to have that back up. i hope that sounded right.? but anyways get on it. as soon as you can. it can always help you. and aLWAYS take it on time.

one of the tips i have for you with that one is.. find a time say in the morning where u wake up the same time monday to sunday.. the same time.. 9 am 10 am.. and i use to have a alarm go off everyday at 11am which was when i had a break at college. so i was able to take the pill in my car and be worrie free for the rest of the day

good luck

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X