Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depo Provera

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depo Provera

I have been on depo provera since I was 16 im now 25 and my doc never really said much about it. I had to go to the walk in clinic as i couldnt get to see my regular doc and the doc at the walk in clinic told me they only reccomend staying on it for 5 years max and I'be been on it for 9 year he says it can lead to osteoperosis and I have only had sex maybe 10 times in my entire life I mean I have had bad experiences that have held me back but i know depo provera is the biggest reason....Im mainly on it to stop my periods is there anything else that wont cause these side effects and will stop my period?

• The only BC you can take that will stop/reduce your periods are hormonal, like Depo or the pill, or the ring, etc. If you have a bad reaction to the depo provera injection, chances are you'll have similar reactions to the other hormonal options out there. The best bet for you would be to talk to your doctor about switching if you want to get off the depo injection, but want to stay on some sort of BC. They may give you something that has lower hormone levels - but there isn't much else besides depo that will stop your periods completely, if that is your main reason for taking BC.

Tell your doc you're thinking about switching, let him(or her) know the reasons you want to switch and what you want to get out of a new BC option (protection from pregnancy, no periods or reduced periods, etc) and see what suggestions you are given.

Comment

• As a woman, you need regular periods. To stop them is unnatural, and is not good for your body. I know they are full of hassles and annoying, but having a five-seven day bleed is better than the side effects of whatever hormonal contraceptive you are taking. Not only can the depo lead to osteoperosis, if you have a history of mental depression in your family the depo can bring those out, causing serious mental health issues, such as severe depression and even bipolar.

Comment

• There are studies on both sides that say not getting a period is bad and there are studies that show that there is no natural reason to have a period while taking BC, whichever side you fall on is your choice. I have been on Depo for several years. I started it when I was 16 got off when I 22 and tried other BC that caused more problems for me than anything, and when I was 24 I got back on Depo. I'm nearly 26 and it works fine for me. I get regular physicals and there is no signs of osteoporosis and all my lady parts are in amazing shape. Like with any BC you are suppose to make sure you hit your required grams calcium per day. If you are getting an adequate calcium supply each day regardless if you are on depo or any other BC you will not have to worry about your bones deteriorating. Also, I have a family history of depression and other mental health issues and I suffer from none. When it comes to BC it is important to find one that works for you. If you are like most women every BC doesn't work for everyone. If you are having issues with Depo but don't want a period then maybe an IUD or one of the pills that they have now that stops the period will work better for you. I tried them and me personally had issues however I have friends and family that uses them with no problem. If you believe that Depo is hurting your sex drive maybe one of the pills will actually work better for you. Depo increases my sex drive, but pills kill it for me. BC is trail and error and you just have to find the one that works for you.

Comment

• I just wanted to share recent news about depo-provera that i thought was important; according a new study, if you use it for more than a year than you are twice as likely to develop breast cancer. They found that when you stop, the risk goes away.
          source:
          (links not allowed)
          Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• You can stop your periods without depo!!!!! If not having a period is a necessary or convenient lifestyle, or you just dont want the hassel of it there is a way you can go about it. I had to stop mine because I was going to do some military training. I am taking Sprintec, normal hormonal pills. All you do is start taking a new pack right after the last pill in your pack. If you talk to your doctor, they can prescribe the pill as "continous" meaning that you just keep taking it and you wont have your period. You have to plan a little to do this and make sure you refill the next pack before the one you are on is empty or your period will start. This is a completely harmless way of preventing your period and i've been doing it for over a year now. I was on depo, and like you, I lost my sex drive and was very moody all the time. The great thing about the pills is that they dont require as much time as Depo does to become fertile again, if that's what you eventually want. Good luck!
            "If you are resolutely determined to make a lawyer of yourself, the thing is more than half done already." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X