Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hair Loss after stopping BC

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Loss after stopping BC

Hello. I was on birth control for about 10 years, taking generics of Ortho Tri-Cyclen, most recently, Tri-Previfem. I went off the pill this past October... and over the past few weeks I've noticed a great amount of hair loss. It's mostly after I shower and as I'm styling my hair, but it's a lot of hair. A few years back I went through the same thing when I briefly stopped birth control. I ended up going back on it for this exact reason, too much hair loss. I don't want to go back on it this time, as my husband and I are possibly hoping to start a family soon. I asked my doctor about his before I went off the pill, and he suggested taking a multi vitamin. I've been doing that since September, along with taking extra Biotin. Obviously, it's not working. What can I do?? My hair is thin enough without losing all this extra!

• Get pregnant fast. Poor advice, right? But it's all I have to give to you - this same thing will probably happen after you give birth too. Hormones interrupt the natural falling-out of our hair, and when we stop taking them (or they stop being produced in high quantities, like after having a child,) all the hair that should have fallen out months ago decides it's time to go.
    It will slow down/stop eventually, and in my experience other people didn't notice; it was just ME feeling insecure about having thin hair. It takes a few months, but the thickness of your hair will come back with new growth!
    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• I experienced the opposite : tremendous hair loss while ON the pill. I would recommend paying particular attention to your vitamins and nutrients. Be sure you are getting what you need. Add Biotin to your daily vitamin regimen. Make sure you're getting good sources of vitamin E.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Thanks for your replies & advice. It's great to know I'm not the only one who is dealing with this. I increased my Biotin intake to 6000mcg per day. I am hoping that helps a little. I am also hoping the shedding doesn't last for long. I read about Vitex on another board. Is anyone familiar with it?

Comment

• I increased my Biotin intake to 6000mcg per day.
          May I ask what the label on your Biotin says about the daily amount and the dose of one pill? The average adequate intake of Biotin is about 35mcg a day, so I am naturally curious as to why you are taking 6000mcg/day.
          There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Whoops, I meant 3000mcg. Here is what I'm taking (1000mcg per pill, 3 times a day) [link removed by admin - outbound links never allowed]
            Last edited by Little; 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, red flag an online drug store. 1000mcg per pill is a lot, 3000mcg a day is a lot and online drug market stores are often lying about what they put in their product. I strongly suggest you do not take online products of any sort. Right now you are taking about 100 times the dose that is listed on legitimate medical sites (most are going to list 35-100mcg/day). A safer approach would be to go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist which brand they recommend, if it is one at 1000mcg pills at least you know it is a safer bottle than that of online sources.
              There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Oh no, I didn't buy it from that online store. I bought it at a local drug store in my town. I just googled it to get a picture of the bottle so you could see it.

Comment

• I believe these pills are sold at most local drug stores, Walgreens, CVS, etc. So I didn't think there was any harm? I saw several different brands...the lowest mcg being 1000.

Comment

• If it's a green bottle with yellow/orange labeling, I have only seen it go up to 1000mcg. You should really ask your OB or GYN about a high dosage before beginning TTC. It may be harmless, but better to arm your doc with ALL your symptom and supplemental info. You may even be able to just phone in this info and question, since you'll be emptying your pockets into the OB Bill Fund soon enough.
                    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• Oh no, I didn't buy it from that online store. I bought it at a local drug store in my town. I just googled it to get a picture of the bottle so you could see it.
                      Oh ok, that is fine. As long as it is sold by a professional there is not as much to be worried about.

So I didn't think there was any harm? I saw several different brands...the lowest mcg being 1000.
                      Make sure you confirm with your health care professional about the dose before you start randomly taking more.

Comment

• We aren't TTC yet, maybe later this year or next... For now I'm just trying to get my body and hormones back to normal after the pill. I have stopped taking the Biotin and am just taking a daily multi vitamin. I think I'm going to call my OBGYN next week and see if there are tests he can run to find out what I'm lacking specifically.

Comment

• Just an update... I went to my gynecologist today and he doesn't agree that the hair loss is related to the pill, so he referred me to a dermatologist. Kind of disappointing because I KNOW it's from the discontinuation of the pill...it has happened to me both times I've tried to go off of it. I'm not sure if I even want to see the dermatologist, because I have a feeling I'll get the same answer. I also took in the bottles of vitamins I've been taking. He was okay with the larger dose of Biotin, but didn't advise that I should take an additional multivitamin with it, as I would be doubling my calcium intake.

Comment

• Technically the only way to know 100% if it was 100% the pill is to absolutely eliminate everything you come into contact with leaving only the effects of the pill. And if the only thing in your system was the pill in that type of extreme hypothetical situation and you go off the pill and hair loss occurs then it could be said that the pill had the side effect however because it is impossible to do such an elimination of things and not all women have the same reaction it is quite possible to say that the pill did not have any role in it. Hair loss is listed as a possible side effect in both taking it and coming off of it, the reason it is listed in both manners is because there is absolutely no sure fine way to know how or if someone will react so they list a bunch of things that could happen because others have reported it to their doctors. Hair loss has too many potential causes lol, simple stress can make a person lose a lot of hair which mean it is very very very difficult to say without a doubt X thing or food is causing the problem. If you do not believe doctor after doctor that is totally fine, try and find a way to manipulate around things while continuing a search to grow some hair back (manipulate around just means listen to a doctor if they say you can keep taking X but do not overdo it or not to take a different thing). Just remember to do it safely and not take random things without a consult with a doctor or pharmacist.

Comment

• I understand totally what you're saying. However, don't you find it quite ironic that 3 years ago I stopped the pill...hair shedding started 2-3 months later. Went back on the pill for 3 years, shedding stopped. Now 3 years later I'm stopping again, and the shedding started again. I'm just using my common sense. I'm not on any other medications, I've not been diagnosed with any other illnesses. I've been perfectly healthy during my 28 years. The exact same results happened to me twice when stopping the pill...a problem that I have not EVER had otherwise, at any other point in my life. It's really quite obvious to me.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X