Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

too general?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too general?

My partner and I have been using condoms, but I want to start using birth control pills. What is the best way to go about this? Is it more of a trial and error until you find one that works best for you? Or if you go to some sort of doctor do they find one that will work well? And what do you guys think of the other options besides the pill?

• You would make an appointment with your doctor and they usually start you out on a low-dose birth control pill. Every time I was put on birth control they put me on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, because they claim it's the most tolerable. If what they put you on doesn't work, you can always go back and they will let you try a different one. It is a trial and error type thing. Sometimes you find the best one right away, sometimes it takes a couple times.

Other options would be the Implant (goes under your arm and I believe lasts for 3 years), IUD (Gets inserted into your uterus can last between 5-10 years depending on which one you get), patch (exactly what it says it is), Nuvaring (A little plastic ring you insert in the vagina. It stays in there for 3 weeks. You pull it out for your "period" week and put another in the next week), or the Shot (This lasts for 3 months, so if it doesn't work for your body, you're stuck for 3 months. I wouldn't suggest this as your first option). Hope this helps!

Comment

• I have done tricyclen-lo and the depo shot. Tricyclen was great once the side effects subsided (mood swings and my hands were crazy sensitive for several months). Depo worked well, for me and the no period thing is a great bonus.

If I were looking for a long-term birth control right now, I'd go with a IUD: virtually no maintenance, virtually no side effects.

Comment

• The hormonal IUD can have the same side effects as any other hormonal birth control. The non-hormonal IUD also has side effects of heavier and longer periods. Nothing is side-effect free. Everyone's bodies are different, too.

Comment

• I think its more trial and error. I tried Ortho Evra patch first. Had side effects I hated, but I was wanting to ride it out and give it a try. When I started losing sight in part of my eye, I took the patch off and stopped it. Side effects went away about a week later. I then tried Mirena. So far so good. Only thing is even with it in, I got two positive pregnancy test - one at home and one at my doctors. Few days after that I started bleeding, went into the ER and no more pregnancy. I got the IUD to prevent them not get them and miscarry -.- It was hard even though I had only known I was pregnant for a few days. Sucks but cant do anything about it now. You can still get pregnant on BC, so no method is 100% effective.

But really I just think its trial and error. Try what you think is best and appeals to you. If you CAN remember to take a pill every day, try the pill. I forget everything so I knew the pill wouldnt be the best option. Mirena is for 5 years, and you dont have to change it every week or month. Its nice.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X