Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth Control or Not?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Control or Not?

I am not sexually active atm, but my period does not come on time. Sometimes it would come in the beginning of the month, or middle or even towards the end of the month. But it would come eventually, but if I am sexually active, and then my period would sometime delays. I easily stressed over little things, maybe stress is one of my huge factor of my period delays.

Another question is that I want to take birth control, I want to have sex with out a condom, but I'm scared of the chances. What should I do?

• When I was a teen, I had my period maybe twice a year. The doctor said it was because I was so active and my BMI was pretty low. He said it was nothing to worry about though. I am not sure if stress would be a factor in causing your period, I just assumed everyone is different when it comes to their cycle. If you do get on birth control, it would definitely work out your irregular cycle and get you into a routine.

Having sex on any type of birthcontrol has it's risks. There is like a 99.99% chance that the birthcontrol will be effective. That's why they recommend you use a condom along with your birthcontrol. But, it's completely up to you and what you are comfortable with risking.

Personally, I have been having sex for 4 years on just my BC pills and no condom, and I have regular periods and don't worry much. But I have also been in a relationship with the same person for this period of time and plan on marrying, so if the bc does happen to fail, I am not too concerned.

It all comes down to you and your personal life and decision. Just know that the only tried and 100% true form of birthcontrol is abstinence!
    "If you are resolutely determined to make a lawyer of yourself, the thing is more than half done already." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• If your BC is 98% effective (this supposes "perfect use,") and your condom is 98% effective, there is really only a negligible addition of effectiveness to your pregnancy prevention. It's when you get into "average use" effectiveness that combining the efforts becomes reasonable.
      The problem with sex without a condom is really with STI's. A pill can't help prevent spreading them! So, if you aren't having sex with someone you know and trust, I don't suggest switching your condoms for the pill - yet.
      <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• Thanks for the advice and the information!! You guys were very helpful. My boyfriend and I been together for 8 months. We've a long distance relationship. He was my first and I was his first. I truly trust him!

Comment

• Thanks Brandywire,

" Personally, I have been having sex for 4 years on just my BC pills and no condom, and I have regular periods and don't worry much. But I have also been in a relationship with the same person for this period of time and plan on marrying, so if the bc does happen to fail, I am not too concerned. "

I think I would be fully ready once I know my relationship with my boyfriend going to be longer than it is right now, and I really love him and hope he does too. So I think I would tried BC pills and no condom if I was in the same boat as you. but I guess I am still unsure if I am willing to take the risk yet. Maybe when I am close to finishing college. !

and Little, thanks for the information! hehe

"The problem with sex without a condom is really with STI's. A pill can't help prevent spreading them! So, if you aren't having sex with someone you know and trust, I don't suggest switching your condoms for the pill - yet."

So you're saying condom is just protecting STI? Then I don't think it would be a problem, if I were to have sex without condom, but I won't yet until I am fully sure of the risks!

THANKS AGAIN, BRANDYWIRE AND LITTLE!

Comment

• The benefit of the condom OVER the pill is the STI protection. With perfect use, the pill and condoms have a similar rate of protection against pregnancy. And with average use, the pill is actually more effective! But that same pill doesn't protect you from infection.

If you're sure that both you and your boyfriend are free of STIs and that he's faithful to you when you are away from each other, the pill may be right for you With any method of birth control, there is still some small chance that you can get pregnant, so you're right to wait until the risk is okay to you.
            <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• If you're going to have unprotected (meaning without a condom) sex with a man, make sure it is one you are in an exclusive relationship with and require that he be tested for STI's and STD's before making the move.

For many women there are a lot of side effects associated with taking hormonal birth control (the pill). The pill does 1 thing: protect you from pregnancy. As Little explained, the pill offers ZERO protection against STD's. While pregnancy sounds super scary....so does HIV, AIDS, Herpes, etc. Go to every extent possible to protect yourself.

Learn about the birth control pill, potential side effects, how to use it effectively, etc before considering getting on it. It is important to learn your body, how it works, etc.
              "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Also consider the fact that condoms can, and do, break on occasion. Kudos to you for thinking this all out first!
                "If you are resolutely determined to make a lawyer of yourself, the thing is more than half done already." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X