Women's Health Interactive Forums

• Before signing up for our forum please read our rules.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the implant (nexplanon) like?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the implant (nexplanon) like?

I'm currently on the depo shot, but I've been told I may have to switch to the implant if the depo shot becomes unsuitable for me. What is the implant like? I know it lasts for 3 years, but are its effects like the shot or not?

• Well the Norplant System (levonorgestrel) Implants has more side effects from the depo shots for the use of contraceptive used to prevent pregnancy. Common side effects of Norplant include headache, nervousness, anxiety, nausea, dizziness, rash, acne, change in appetite, weight gain, hair loss, prolonged menstrual bleeding, and spotting. But again each and every women is different on how the Norplant will effect them. My two oldest daughters started off with Norplant but change to the depo shot. They couldn't stand the side effects they went through. So good luck on what you decide to do Timely Rain.....
    When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• Hi, I don't think they do Norplant where I live. The only one they do is Nexplanon as far as I know. I wanted to know about it because the depo shot is great for me, but I've already been on it for nearly 2 years, and if it became unsuitable for me after that, I was told the implant would be similar to the shot and I could switch to that. I have seen how it's inserted and how it's removed, the only thing I'm wondering about is the side effects, as like I said, I was told by the doctor that the side effects would be similar for me as having the shot.

Comment

• Have you considered maybe the Navaring as well. Instead of the Nexplanon that's another option as well for you Timelyrain. I guess some women bodies can change after a while on one type of birth control. To the point that it could be ineffective after a while as well. Well good luck I hope this new birth control works for you well. 😃😎🌹
        When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• I've tried the pills & the shot but I like the implant the best, I luckily don't have any side effects. On the shot I gained too much weight, so much weight that my doctor quickly took me off of it & I am not that good at remembering to take pills daily so the pill isn't really a good idea for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelyRain View Post
            I'm currently on the depo shot, but I've been told I may have to switch to the implant if the depo shot becomes unsuitable for me. What is the implant like? I know it lasts for 3 years, but are its effects like the shot or not?
            Nexplanon is a small, flexible, plastic implant that is inserted under the skin of the upper arm to provide long-term birth control. It is a highly effective form of contraception and is considered one of the most reliable methods available. Here are some key features and details about the Nexplanon implant:
            1. Size and appearance: Nexplanon is a slender, matchstick-sized rod that measures about 4 centimeters (1.6 inches) in length. It is a single, solid piece of soft, flexible plastic.
            2. Hormonal contraception: The Nexplanon implant releases a progestin hormone called etonogestrel, which is a synthetic form of the hormone progesterone. This hormone prevents pregnancy by inhibiting ovulation, thickening the cervical mucus to block sperm, and thinning the uterine lining.
            3. Insertion procedure: The implant is inserted subdermally (under the skin) in a quick procedure performed by a healthcare professional. A local anesthetic is typically used to numb the area where the implant will be placed. The implant is inserted using a special applicator, and once in place, it can be felt just beneath the skin

Comment

• I never used Nexplanon but I used Mirena (before my hysterectomy). I was fortunate to miss out on the side effects, and after the first few months, my period went away completely -- which I loved. The only thing I hated about it was the insertion/removal process because it's painful.

So while that's completely different from Nexplanon, lol, I'm pro implant devices for birth control, in general. The type that's right for you is based on your medical history and lifestyle and advice from your doctor. But I know it was a relief not to have to remember a pill every day or deal with picking up prescriptions every month or so.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Sex before marriage

What a wonderful resource this site is for men like me. There are so may unanswered questions men have about women and sexuality and it’s refreshing...

04-15-2024, 05:27 PM By easygoing
              • Reply to Long term marriage with Sexual Frustration and E.D.

Hey, just wanted to share some simple advice based on your situation:

1. Keep talking openly with your wife about your feelings.
                2. Consider seeking help

04-14-2024, 02:02 AM By AnnaMav
              • Reply to The wounds are fresh and raw

Natty1522, your previous post was several weeks ago about this guy ghosting you. I know it hurts but you cannot pull him back if he wants to go. I would...

04-11-2024, 08:38 PM By jns
              • The wounds are fresh and raw

It's been 3 weeks since a person that I thought really cared and loved me "ghosted" me.

It still hurts everyday...It doesn't help...

04-11-2024, 06:22 PM By Natty1522
              • Reply to One thing that has bothered me for many years

Oh I am happy that she is still able to enjoy orgasm, I always have been. I'm sure too that she is happy that I can enjoy time to myself. It's just that...

04-11-2024, 05:11 PM By easygoing

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
              X