Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hormones in contraception? MOOD SWINGS GALORE!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Hormones in contraception? MOOD SWINGS GALORE!

Hi everyone!
    So I've been on the pill for 2 years or so now and I think I've finally connected my anxiety, anger and horrid moods with being on the pill. I thought it was just hormones as i was growing up (now 18) but its gotten even worse since i swapped to the Yasmin pill a couple of months ago to see if it helped my mood swings from the microgynon, and it hasn't. My chest gets tight, i get annoyed and irritated at the most ridiculous things! Its affecting my everyday life. I do like the pill as I can delay periods if needed (ie going on holiday). My cousin suggested the ovrenette pill so im stuck between trying one last pill brand or getting the implant. Although I'm sort of put off the implant because of the stories of how much it affects your period for the first year.
    Has anyone else experienced extreme mood changes on the pill so youve changed to another pill or to another form of contraception?
    What hormone causes the mood to change? Because surely if one contraception causes mood swings, they all will because they're all pumping hormones into your body? Ahhhh, my brain. I may end up coming off contraception altogether until my boyfriend comes home at the end of December and see if it makes a difference but I don't really trust condoms...

Sorry for the lengthy post! Just want to hear peoples experiences. Thank you X

• Hi Rebekah!!!

Here are some things I experienced while being on hormonal birth control for more years than I should have been:

-Mood swings: I constantly felt discontent and unhappy. Most months, I had one week out of an entire month that I felt emotionally "ok".
    -Irritability: Not to be confused with mood swings. I was irritated by EVERYTHING, especially done by whatever unfortunate soul I was dating at the time.
    -Diminished sex drive: I went through long periods of time where I truly thought "I don't really care if I ever have sex again." NOT normal for someone in her 20's and definitely damaging to relationships.
    -Hair loss: Over a course of probably 10 years on hormonal BC I lost a lot of the thickness of my hair.
    -Acne: I broke out with about the same frequency as I changed moods. Nothing I did help. The more I did to treat it, the worse it got. I ended up with some (minor, thankfully) acne scars.
    -Fatigue/Low energy: I not only had low energy, but I also just lacked the drive to do much.

Then, I read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and went off hormonal bc about 6 years ago. I decided that the ring, the implant, the shot, or whatever else was out there would affect me in similar ways because it is all hormonal bc. The copper IUD is "non-hormonal" but has shown similar affects due to the high concentration of copper in the body. Anyway, after a month or so off the pill I couldn't believe how good I felt. I told myself I'd do whatever it took to stay off. I use the FAM method (taught in detail in the book) and either abstain during fertile days or use alternative protection (condoms). Am I at a higher risk of pregnancy than if I were on the pill? Yeah, absolutely. But I feel good again and life is too short not to.

The pill you're on is a low dose pill if I'm correct, much like Yasmin. You can't get much "lower dose". Additionally, manipulating pills to delay a period can cause your hormones to go completely whacky. I don't recommend it.

"Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I encourage NFP methods also. It's beneficial to know your body that well anyway, so it's a good thing anyway.<br />
      I don't think that it's healthy to mess with our body's chemical makeup in this way. Strongly consider other ways.<br />
      <br />
      If you want to use condoms, you can combine it with other non hormonal methods. The diaphragm is still used, and I have also used vaginal contraceptive film. There are other methods available. Many docs seem to forget to mention those.

Comment

• I forgot about the diaphragm. I kept meaning to try one, or a cervical cap but just never did. They are both definitely options. Nothing will be as "convenient" as hormonal bc, but at what price?

Comment

• And here I am posting again on your thread. LOL! I was thinking this morning about the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" book (you can get it on Amazon) and remembering how incredibly beneficial it was for me. I also remember thinking "EVERYONE should read this.......men, women, teenage girls, teenage boys". I have NO doubt that unwanted pregnancies would decrease if people truly understood the way our bodies work. I also think there would be much fewer fertility issues. Anyway, regardless of what you decide to do about your bc, read the book.

Comment

• Thank you guys! And haha Beautiful Disaster comment away! I will have a look at the book

Comment

• I can't recommend it enough. And I'm not one to recommend a book.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
              X